R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I recap 1272 modules if I'm handy with a Iron??  (Read 5134 times)

Bubba#$%Kron

Can I recap 1272 modules if I'm handy with a Iron??
« on: January 18, 2011, 01:14:33 PM »

Is it Rocket science?

is this a fair priced kit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEVE-1272-RECAP-KIT-Premium-/17056656080 1?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b68f2c21#ht_500wt_670

or should I order the parts somewhere else?

Thanks a million, Bubba
"When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. If that were the purpose of music then obviously the fastest players would be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are not aiming to arrive at a particular place on the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we play music the playing itself is the point."  -Alan Watts

MagnetoSound

Re: Can I recap 1272 modules if I'm handy with a Iron??
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 02:31:47 PM »

It's not rocket science.

The closest available caps to the Philips originals (these are the blue ones) are the blue Vishay/BC caps purportedly made on the same machinery.

The listing is not explicit (Vishay/Sprague/Cornell Dubilier). Although some of these caps may be technically superior in some respects, they are not identical, and this may perhaps be considered more of an upgrade. Or not.

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 02:51:37 PM »

Thanks for the response.  Where do I order from?  how many of what?  Whats the highest quality in your opinion?

thanks

MagnetoSound wrote on Tue, 18 January 2011 11:31

It's not rocket science.

The closest available caps to the Philips originals (these are the blue ones) are the blue Vishay/BC caps purportedly made on the same machinery.

The listing is not explicit (Vishay/Sprague/Cornell Dubilier). Although some of these caps may be technically superior in some respects, they are not identical, and this may perhaps be considered more of an upgrade. Or not.

"When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. If that were the purpose of music then obviously the fastest players would be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are not aiming to arrive at a particular place on the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we play music the playing itself is the point."  -Alan Watts

Dominick

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 03:12:36 PM »

I suggest you visit Geoff Tanner's Neve forum
http://www.auroraaudio.net/aa_html/aa_neve.htm
Lot's of vital information there.

If I recall, Geoff is of the opinion that single rail Neve modules such as the 1272 rarely need capacitor replacement.

If you must replace them it is important that capacitors of the original type are used.
Don't go replacing tantalum caps with electrolytics.
Dominick Costanzo

Fletcher

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 04:25:18 PM »

I would 1000% agree with the keep them all the same type!!!  Part of "the sound" is created by the tantalums having DC on them at all times -- on the larger modules with EQ[1081, 1073, etc.] it is also HIGHLY unadvisable to change the caps in the EQ section!!

However the electrolytics in the amplifier sections -- like on the B283 boards in a 1272 should really be changed every decade or so [and I would recommend the use of 105˚C caps rather than the 85˚C caps - you get an extra few years of service from them!!] if you have any notion of the modules sounding up to their potential... and while you're in there, don't forget to check the bias on the output board as well... if that ain't set up right you also won't be getting all you can get from the box.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 10:32:02 PM »

The funny thing is I bought these 1272's off ebay a few weeks back, I did not know until after I won the auction- but it was actually Kip Winger from Winger who sold them to me!!  You know those caps have not been changed since the 80's.    He was super nice guy and I ended up getting a 8 space full size neve rack with 2 1272's in them with beefy power supply for $1460- you cant beat that !!!   He even signed the back of it!!  Watch out world, I'm carrying on the Winger torch!!

thanks for the responses gentlemen!!

cheers

Geoff_T

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 03:17:46 PM »

Bubba#$%Kron wrote on Tue, 18 January 2011 10:14

Is it Rocket science?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEVE-1272-RECAP-KIT-Premium-/17056656080   1?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b68f2c21#ht_500wt_670

Thanks a million, Bubba

Hi

The guy in that link had better not include my tech sheets

I sell folk my tech sheets on condition that they are not duplicated and re-sold

I emailed the guy to see if he is including them with the capacitors he sells
Geoff Tanner
http://www.auroraaudio.net/main.shtml
http://www.grandmasterrecorders.com
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0595093329/ref=sib_dp_pt/104 -6861899-0350336#reader-link

NB Please do not pm me if you want a fast response... please email me.

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 03:54:04 PM »

I wont buy from him based on that.  Geoff do you sell them or know a website that does?

How many of what do I need?

thanks

Geoff_T wrote on Thu, 20 January 2011 12:17

Bubba#$%Kron wrote on Tue, 18 January 2011 10:14

Is it Rocket science?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEVE-1272-RECAP-KIT-Premium-/17056656080     1?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b68f2c21#ht_500wt_670

Thanks a million, Bubba

Hi

The guy in that link had better not include my tech sheets

I sell folk my tech sheets on condition that they are not duplicated and re-sold

I emailed the guy to see if he is including them with the capacitors he sells

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 08:09:50 PM »

I just emailed you geoff and got the info I needed. disregard last post!!

Thanks a lot, you are a very helpful and nice!!! Smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 18 queries.