R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The finer points of audio playback in OS X 10.6.x  (Read 4397 times)

PaulyD

The finer points of audio playback in OS X 10.6.x
« on: January 16, 2011, 03:58:05 AM »

Some things that might help you when playing back audio in Mac OS X 10.6.x:

1. Option+click the speaker icon in the menu bar to change the audio I/O hardware without having to access System Preferences. The Sound Preference Panel can also be opened from this menu.

2. Option+Shift+keyboard volume adjustment allows for fine volume adjustments (.25 onscreen increments/decrements).

3. Option+keyboard volume adjustment opens the Sound Preference Panel.

4. Shift+keyboard volume adjustment toggles on or off the volume adjustment feedback sound. For example, if you normally leave it on in the Sound Preference panel, it temporarily turns in off while adjusting volume and vice versa.

Fletcher

Re: The finer points of audio playback in OS X 10.6.x
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 10:28:48 AM »

Interesting - is this for some kind of audio program or is there something that comes with the computer that you're talking about?  Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm kind of a moron when it comes to the various audio programs for computers but I do play stuff back on my Mac from time to time [don't record with it] and since you seem to be referencing something Mac I figured I might be able to learn something.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Fibes

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 10:37:44 AM »

Fletcher wrote on Sun, 16 January 2011 10:28

Interesting - is this for some kind of audio program or is there something that comes with the computer that you're talking about?  Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm kind of a moron when it comes to the various audio programs for computers but I do play stuff back on my Mac from time to time [don't record with it] and since you seem to be referencing something Mac I figured I might be able to learn something.

It's kinda Power User Mac stuff. It's handy to not have to go through menus to flip the input or output selection etc........

Over the years I've fallen off the Mac user power wagon simply because I'm inside the programs and have several keys set to my own purposes rather than the Mac chosen ones. For instance F6 on the studio machine opens my preferred mixer window layout.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

DarinK

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 05:58:30 PM »

Thanks for no. 3 "Option+keyboard volume adjustment opens the Sound Preference Panel."

My old Intel iMac (internet machine & iTunes player these days) has a tendency to shift the panning to just off center.  I have no idea why, but opening the Sound Preference Panel all the time to fix it is a hassle.

PaulyD

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 11:48:36 AM »

Fletcher wrote on Sun, 16 January 2011 07:28

These commands are part of the Mac OS and will work with any audio software that utilizes QuickTime or Core Audio, including host based DAW's, iTunes, QuickTime Player, DVD Player.app, etc.

All of these except #1 will work in Leopard 10.5.x too.

Paul

bigbone

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 01:01:45 PM »

PaulyD wrote on Sun, 16 January 2011 03:58

Some things that might help you when playing back audio in Mac OS X 10.6.x:

1. Option+click the speaker icon in the menu bar to change the audio I/O hardware without having to access System Preferences. The Sound Preference Panel can also be opened from this menu.

2. Option+Shift+keyboard volume adjustment allows for fine volume adjustments (.25 onscreen increments/decrements).

3. Option+keyboard volume adjustment opens the Sound Preference Panel.

4. Shift+keyboard volume adjustment toggles on or off the volume adjustment feedback sound. For example, if you normally leave it on in the Sound Preference panel, it temporarily turns in off while adjusting volume and vice versa.

Thank's for the tips, truly appreciated.

JN
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 18 queries.