R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bench headphone amp?  (Read 4801 times)

Bob Schwenkler

Bench headphone amp?
« on: January 18, 2011, 12:30:22 AM »

What do folks here use? I'm thinking in the under $75 used range. I don't need any amazing fidelity, just something reasonable to make general sonic assessments.

Jim Williams

Re: Bench headphone amp?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 09:42:39 AM »

I use a home made job. It's mono as most of what I'm testing is in a single channel mode. You can make one for about $20.

I used a BurrBrown BUF634 current driver chip. Placed into the feedback loop of an opamp, it makes a great headphone amp.

I used 2 opamps, the first a differential input chip to accept balanced/unbalanced inputs. That feeds a volume pot and then the output opamp/buffer circuit. You can find that at
www.ti.com

With a great opamp,it has fantastic specs (don't TELL anyone THAT!) is direct coupled (no capacitors) and has a noise floor too low to hear. The buffer has a 2000V/us slew rate and outputs 250 ma, plenty to fry yer cans.

It definitely fits the Jimi Hendrix "I want to see and hear everything" requirement.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Dominick

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 10:50:07 AM »

Tascam 122 MkII
Doubles as a bump box and you get a set of meters.
Dominick Costanzo

Bob Schwenkler

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 11:20:34 AM »

Jim Williams wrote on Tue, 18 January 2011 06:42

I use a home made job. It's mono as most of what I'm testing is in a single channel mode. You can make one for about $20.

I had thought of rolling my own. I'll give it some more consideration.

Also, a friend of mine has a portable Shure unit he really likes. It's a smaller portable thing and one can easily just plug it straight into a patch bay. I'll have to ask him again what kind it is.

sodderboy

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 10:41:53 PM »

My Techniques receiver from college, heck, high school!  Still going strong since 1981!  Been through a lot.  One output module change in the halcyon 90's.
If you find these 80's component style stereo receivers in the dump, on the street, or at Salvation Army, they are worth the effort.  I try not to go to the electronics dump because I "junk-up" there with a heavier carload leaving than arriving.
Mike
PS: like the home-roll version from Jim, but I like all his implementations.  Have to try.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.