R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about going from XP to Win 7  (Read 7076 times)

Glenn Bucci

Question about going from XP to Win 7
« on: January 17, 2011, 09:31:04 PM »

Ok, I just ordered Windows 7 Pro for my quad Dell computer. My computer is 1 years old, I confirmed with Dell that the intel chip will work at 64 bit. I also am upgrading my computer from 3 gig's to 4 gigs of ram. I will be installing Windows 7 64 bit.

All my music is recorded on a 2nd (D) hard drive on my computer. I am thinking if I erase my (C) hard drive and install Windows 7, I should be able to reinstall Cubase 5 32 bit and get it to work with my songs. With this being a studio computer, all I have on it is Samplitude, Wavelab, Cubase and third party plug ins.

Any suggestions or things I should check out before I make make the change? I am thinking installing Windows 7 first and then upgrade the ram.

Bob Olhsson

Re: Question about going from XP to Win 7
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 10:47:23 PM »

You should double check on the ram upgrade. The fact that you have 3 gigs now suggests that the appropriate upgrade might be to 6 gigs and not 4.

leonardo valvassori

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 09:02:26 AM »

Bob are you running Pro Tools on Windows?

Leonardo Valvassori

scott_s

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 09:19:57 AM »

I would suggest carefully checking the Samplitude, Wavelab, Cubase forums before doing this.

I have seen a lot on Win 7 posts on Cubase.net, but I haven't been reading them closely since I am staying with XP

I am pretty sure there is a CD burner issue trying to use Wavelab 6 on Win 7, lots of posts about that.

http://forum.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=122046
http://www.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=117506

Jim Williams

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 09:31:03 AM »

Think twice.

I would even go as far as removing the D drive "just in case".

Are you ready to become Bill Gate's next experiment? Is there something about XP that's lacking for you?

I've been to hell and it has a MicroSoft logo on it.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Glenn Bucci

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 09:51:57 AM »

I called Dell tech support who reviewed my computer and advised the DDR 2 ram that my computer could only go up to 4 gigs for ram. I was told it would not accept the newer DDR 3 ram.

I was very disappointed when I heard that Cubase 6 was not supported by Windows XP. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that Windows 7 is a much improved platform (I am using Win 7 at my day job). I also acknowledged when working with software, you really need to keep up with technology. Sure I could stay with XP and not care, but when your interested in new software coming out that may not be compatible with XP, it got me thinking.

I purchased a Dell Quad core computer last year. By updating to Windows 7 now, I won't have to think about buying a new computer so quickly either. So it really is allowing me to continue to use my computer for several additional years. I also upgraded my ram to 4 gigs from 3, as I know with using software like BFD drums, Cubase, and samplers, that my computer will benefit from it.

While Steinberg may not support XP, I think they should support Vista as it is a newer platform and in one sense is a Beta Windows 7. Steinberg will now spend less money and time since they won't be testing their software with XP. We hope that would mean their software should be more stable on the Mac and Win 7 as they will be able to focus more time with these platforms...."should" is the main word here folks. We will see how stable their programs will be in the near future.

Dave_EK

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 10:34:01 AM »

Personally, I would leave C drive intact and get a fresh drive for Win7.  With the price of drives these days, it seems to be the most prudent thing to do.
Dave
EK Sound.

Bill Mueller

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 10:35:01 AM »

Glenn Bucci wrote on Tue, 18 January 2011 09:51

I called Dell tech support who reviewed my computer and advised the DDR 2 ram that my computer could only go up to 4 gigs for ram. I was told it would not accept the newer DDR 3 ram.

I was very disappointed when I heard that Cubase 6 was not supported by Windows XP. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that Windows 7 is a much improved platform (I am using Win 7 at my day job). I also acknowledged when working with software, you really need to keep up with technology. Sure I could stay with XP and not care, but when your interested in new software coming out that may not be compatible with XP, it got me thinking.

I purchased a Dell Quad core computer last year. By updating to Windows 7 now, I won't have to think about buying a new computer so quickly either. So it really is allowing me to continue to use my computer for several additional years. I also upgraded my ram to 4 gigs from 3, as I know with using software like BFD drums, Cubase, and samplers, that my computer will benefit from it.

While Steinberg may not support XP, I think they should support Vista as it is a newer platform and in one sense is a Beta Windows 7. Steinberg will now spend less money and time since they won't be testing their software with XP. We hope that would mean their software should be more stable on the Mac and Win 7 as they will be able to focus more time with these platforms...."should" is the main word here folks. We will see how stable their programs will be in the near future.

Glenn,

My only suggestion is to make absolutely SURE that all the drivers you need are supported with new versions for Windows 7. I use a variety of machines, Mac OS (3 versions-don't ask), XP, Vista and Windows 7. Vista is by far the worst of the bunch because of lack of driver support. I have a Win 7 laptop running DM 2000 Studio Manager and it works fine with the Yamaha USB/Midi driver, so I think MS has cleaned up their act. But again, it would be a real shame to go all that way and find out your missing one critical driver.

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

chris carter

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 12:22:54 PM »

I'm sill on XP and I'm putting off goign to Windows 7 for as long as physically possible.  Since I'm a Cubase user, that will be when I finally decide I need Cubase 6, which will probably be a year while they work out the kinks.  When I go to Windows 7, it will be a new computer altogether.  I rarely hear stories about upgrading an audio computer's operating system goes swimmingly well.  Usually it's the opposite.  So I chose not to and just do it when I buy a new machine.  

At minimum, I would remove all the drives and replace the C drive with a new one.  Store the old one.  After installation, then I would put the other drives back in.
Chris 'Von Pimpenstein' Carter
Producer | Mixer
www.vonpimpenstein.com

Chad York

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 12:52:19 PM »

When you do decide to make the jump I found this really helped to smooth out the initial wrinkles for our PTHD rigs under Windows 7

Avid's Windows 7 optimization list:
http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId =349411

We had eight PT9 workstations to upgrade and found SSD for the OS drive really upped the ante for bootup/performance as well.

Cheers
Chad

Bill Mueller

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 12:58:49 PM »

chris carter wrote on Tue, 18 January 2011 12:22

I rarely hear stories about upgrading an audio computer's operating system goes swimmingly well.  Usually it's the opposite.  So I chose not to and just do it when I buy a new machine.  

+1,

I took a Dell laptop from XP to Vista and will forever regret it. I might just move it back.

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

ScotcH

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 04:04:38 PM »

Dave_EK wrote on Tue, 18 January 2011 10:34

Personally, I would leave C drive intact and get a fresh drive for Win7.  With the price of drives these days, it seems to be the most prudent thing to do.

This is the the best advice in the thread!  Get a $100 drive, and clean install on there ... keep the XP drive safe until you know everythign is working as it should.  You can also stick the XP drive in an enclosure so you can pull stuff off it from the new OS.
Arek Wojciechowski - Laundry Room, Basement, Garage, Bedroom, etc.

eightyeightkeys

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 10:12:14 AM »

I went from XP-32bit on an old machine to W7 64bit Pro on a completely new i7 machine.

Many VST instruments and plug-ins were a complete no-go. Some XP installers simply would not work and there were no new installers....orphaned software.

It could be best to use the 32bit version of your apps in the 64 bit computer...Most of the 32 bit plus seem to work. I use a ton of VST instruments and the 64bit version of Cubase works significantly better on my machine.

Waves, for example, may or may not work. They are 32 bit plugs and need to be J-Bridged or VST bridged into the 64 bit app to work...if they work at all.
You may find that "De-Shelling" the Waves plugs ins and J Bridging them one by one may be the best way to go. I personally have ditched the Waves plugs.

Some plugs, Sonalksis for example, VST bridge much better than they J-Bridge.

It's quite the mess...however, I am working on very large orchestral projects "succesfully" (9GB+ of RAM being used) ....good luck.
Dave T.
D&D Music

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 11:16:24 AM »

I have a W7 drive and an XP drive. I haven't booted in XP since last October and that was only to install a software update. I advised against moving away foam XP prior to last fall when W7 really convinced me. I've only found one free utility dating back to the late '90s that isn't compatible with w7 while a whole lot of stuff was never compatible with vista.

W7 is clearly what vista should have been. I'm sure that's why developers are dropping XP support for their new versions.

ktownson

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 11:38:15 AM »

Another vote for a clean, dedicated Win7 drive.

I've upgraded Microsoft OS's several times and in every case, I ended up doing a clean install sooner or later. With good, inexpensive hard drives readily available, separate drives are the most painless and sensible way to step into the Win7 waters.
"World Boogie is coming." James Luther Dickinson

Glenn Bucci

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 03:03:57 PM »

I think I will follow your advise about using another hard drive. I wonder if a external hard drive like this would be a good option. http://www.staples.com/Seagate-FreeAgent-GoFlex-1TB-Desktop- Hard-Drive-USB-3.0/product_912731?cmArea=SEARCH or should I just pull the old one out and buy this instead? http://www.staples.com/Seagate-1TB-SATA-II-300-Internal-Hard -Drive/product_752866?cmArea=SEARCH Both are only $100

Dave_EK

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 03:07:48 PM »

Do NOT use a UBS drive for OS... you would be better off getting 2 SATA Drive caddies like the Mobile Rack:

http://us.startech.com/product/DRW110SATBK-Black-525in-SATA- Hard-Drive-Mobile-Rack-Drawer

Wanna run XP, power down and plug in the XP drive, reboot, done.
Dave
EK Sound.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 19 queries.