R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: WAVES win lawsuit against NYC studio  (Read 26068 times)

bigbone

WAVES win lawsuit against NYC studio
« on: January 17, 2011, 03:47:17 PM »

http://www.audioprointernational.com/news/1976/Waves-Audio-w ins-lawsuit-against-two-NYC-studios

What do you think !!!!

JN

Bill Mueller

Re: WAVES win lawsuit again NYC studio
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 03:52:40 PM »

bigbone wrote on Mon, 17 January 2011 15:47

http://www.audioprointernational.com/news/1976/Waves-Audio-w ins-lawsuit-against-two-NYC-studios

What do you think !!!!

JN

Fair is fair. Don't crack software or condone IP crime.

Every company I have worked for or owned knew well of the legal dangers of using pirated software.

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

bigbone

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 04:12:26 PM »

Bill Mueller wrote on Mon, 17 January 2011 15:52

bigbone wrote on Mon, 17 January 2011 15:47

What do you think !!!!

JN

Fair is fair. Don't crack software or condone IP crime.

Every company I have worked for or owned knew well of the legal dangers of using pirated software.

Bill

Agree 100 %.

JN

Podgorny

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 05:57:20 PM »

FYI, this news is from May of last year.
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

Fletcher

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 07:01:56 PM »

If Skyline and Quad were indeed using cracks then its cool that they lost the suit... anyone in OUR industry that violates ANY intellectual property law in the slightest also forfeits the right to bitch about the state of the industry from "illegal downloads"

HOWEVER... I have a very dear friend who had Waves on his computer that was a legal "authorized" copy [complete with dongle] that belonged to one of his regular clients.  The software wouldn't run unless the client's dongle was installed, but Waves sent letters and threatened a suit just because he didn't purchase the program and it was on his machine.

I've heard from several other studio owners about similar scenarios... Waves coming in for a "studio tour" seeing the icon on the desktop and a week later a notice of legal action comes via certified mail [while its a perfectly legal copy that is owned by a regular client... which is kinda like leaving your Fender Twin in the hallway and everyone at the studio knows its yours and not to use it].

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

DarinK

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 07:10:15 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Mon, 17 January 2011 16:01

If Skyline and Quad were indeed using cracks then its cool that they lost the suit... anyone in OUR industry that violates ANY intellectual property law in the slightest also forfeits the right to bitch about the state of the industry from "illegal downloads"

HOWEVER... I have a very dear friend who had Waves on his computer that was a legal "authorized" copy [complete with dongle] that belonged to one of his regular clients.  The software wouldn't run unless the client's dongle was installed, but Waves sent letters and threatened a suit just because he didn't purchase the program and it was on his machine.

I've heard from several other studio owners about similar scenarios... Waves coming in for a "studio tour" seeing the icon on the desktop and a week later a notice of legal action comes via certified mail [while its a perfectly legal copy that is owned by a regular client... which is kinda like leaving your Fender Twin in the hallway and everyone at the studio knows its yours and not to use it].

Peace.

This would depend on the licensing agreement that Waves uses.  Many agreements authorize use on one machine only, rather than use by one owner.  Generally speaking, I think licensing agreements should authorize use by owner, not machine.  I shouldn't have to buy multiple copies of something if I have more than one computer.

Wireline

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 07:14:14 PM »

What?!?

If the app won't run without a dongle, it might as well be the launch codes for Chinese nukes...why would Waves or anyone else care where it was being stored, as long as it was only licensed users actually using the software?

About the Twin - I used it to get a special vocal effect last week, so....
Ken Morgan
Wireline Studio
Midland, Texas
www.wirelinestudio.com

bigbone

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 07:24:45 PM »

Podgorny wrote on Mon, 17 January 2011 17:57

FYI, this news is from May of last year.

Is that mean it's not part of the audio community......

JN

jrmintz

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 06:25:32 PM »

If the license resides on an ilok, doesn't that mean the license goes wherever the ilok goes?

Fletcher

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 08:03:49 AM »

jrmintz wrote on Tue, 18 January 2011 18:25

If the license resides on an ilok, doesn't that mean the license goes wherever the ilok goes?

That would make sense - but who the hell really knows what kind of evil shit is actually hiding in the "license agreements" that you have to accept to use the product(s)... and from what I've seen from Waves [as a company] whatever kind of evil shit they can perpetrate to squeeze out a buck is something they'll go for in a heartbeat... rational thought and "letter of the legal agreement" are very often diametrically opposed!!

CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

0dbfs

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 09:21:12 AM »

Who knows what the license actually states, but many of these things allow running the SW on one machine at one time. ie; you can install it on several machines but it may only be used on a single machine at once. The dongle allows that to be the case. ie; it won't run unless you have the licenses on the dongle. Waves would have a hard time winning a case where someone had the SW installed but could not even use it without a dongle. If they wanted it a different way, then they would use a different technology other than the ilok. For instance something that referenced the installed CPU/HW-ID checksum. Part of the responsibility is on them and if studio owners are responsible for employees, contractors, clients, then the SW developers are also responsible to license their SW in such a technological way as to prevent and protect honest users.

More and more, I am just using the included digi plugs and staying away from third party if I can. Makes session transfers between machines less hassle.

Cheers,
j
Jonathan Burtner
Music is Everything!
Audio is Everything Else!

ktownson

Re: WAVES win lawsuit against NYC studio
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 10:01:23 AM »

Just to play devil's advocate, I recently had a situation where my studio computer picked up a nasty bug that somehow got around the virus protection.

It required me to run registry sweeps and other malware removers to clean it up, but I got it back up and running quickly. Except that on the next boot, I got a nag screen (with a countdown locking the computer for a few seconds) from the tyrants of Redmond saying my computer no longer passed Microsoft Genuine Advantage tests.

I've owned this computer for years, qualified for regular MS updates, and never had a problem until now. I tried entering the reg key from the label on the case manually, I tried editing registry scripts, the auto phone authorization, nothing worked. Microsoft adamantly declared I was using unauthorized software, locked me out of the update website, hassled me with nag screens at startup, regular taskbar popups, a constant admonition that my computer may be at risk on the desktop and they blacked out the desktop background image. The only solution, according to these screens, was to update to a genuine Windows 7 license at $149.

It finally took a call to Microsoft Tech Support to point me to a tool that rescans the registry and resets the computer to pass the Genuine Advantage tests. (Thank you to the outsourced MS techie, a fellow with a heavy Indian accent who insisted his name was "Homer.")

A lot of trouble and "guilty until proven innocent" for someone with a legitimate license, don't you think?
"World Boogie is coming." James Luther Dickinson

Podgorny

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 10:07:16 AM »

bigbone wrote on Mon, 17 January 2011 18:24

Is that mean it's not part of the audio community......

Jean, I know you're not a native English speaker, so perhaps I'm misinterpreting you; Some of your posts come off as supercilious. You might want to be careful about that (unless you're doing it intentionally, in which case, cut it out).

So no, it DOESN'T mean it's not part of the audio community.  I just thought for the sake of avoiding confusion, it should be noted  that this event happened nearly a year ago.
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

kats

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 11:40:36 AM »

I'd like to mention that most software companies outside of the music business require separate licenses  per terminal, not per user/owner. This is to make the software more affordable for small companies who use one terminal compared to a company that uses 20.

So I don't think this is a justification to crack Waves. It may however be a good justification to not buy it in the first place.
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

jetbase

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 04:32:36 PM »

I own one Waves plugin but I had to download the entire Waves 7 package to install that one plugin. How could Waves sue when they require you to take possession of the installers for plugins you don't own so that you can install the ones you do own?
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 16 queries.