R/E/P > Klaus Heyne's Mic Lab

Fitting a k87 capsule without the leads already attached

<< < (2/2)

ssltech:
Thanks for the clarification, Klaus.

Keith

africantigercow:
Quote:

P.S.: the dent in the diaphragm is not nice. While it does not look like a hole (bad for the damping of diaphragm movement), its depth may interfere with the free movement of the diaphragm against the back plate, which is only 40

ssltech:
There's nothing that can be tested without hooking it up electrically to SOMETHING... -So I'd proffer that it might be a good idea to hook it up and have a listen.

Even if it's touching the backplate at rest, it still won't stop it from producing sound, it would just alter the free movement of the diaphragm to a greater or lesser extent... think of a tapping drum skin with a finger gently touching it in one spot as an analogy.

-It might be quite acceptable, and if you turn it so that it's the REAR diaphragm surface, it wouldn't have any significant effect in cardioid; just omni and fig-8.

I've certainly had a diaphragm which had a similar dent, which the owner was entirely happy with... and it was on the FRONT diaphragm. -Your mileage may indeed vary.

As for cleaning; I've seen worse capsules be perfectly fine, and it'd be impossible to judge merely by the picture.

You be the judge; -try it, and see.

Keith

MagnetoSound:

If you're very lucky, that dent could be right over one of the holes in the backplate and be no trouble at all.

Or it might not.

africantigercow:
Thanks very much for your help everyone.

I guess the best thing to do is to slap it on my mic and see how it sounds...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version