R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Taking delivery of our New (old) SSL today!  (Read 20139 times)

kats

Re: Taking delivery of our New (old) SSL today!
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2011, 12:30:54 PM »

Good question.

The plan is to stripe our 16tk Studer and slave the SSL and PT (if needed) all to the tape deck. VCA automation on the SSL and for ancillary tracks automated through PT and brought out to the short faders.

Having said that, we not big on tracks the way we work. Even on the Ash Koley stuff, which is as "pop" as we get, I don't think we went over 24 tracks. And even then we could have reduced the number, but it was unnecessary in a DAW.

Now back to hijacking the thread (go ahead guys, it's a great topic) I think the best move I made was aligning myself with a good producer/songwriter to work out of my studio. It is a good thing to remember that, even in such a precarious business climate,  that you own something people want - it's just not affordable. All this "we can do it at home" stuff is just many being apologists for a bad situation.

So with that it mind, leverage your asset. In my case I provide a home base in a professional environment for an in demand producer. I charge very little for the suite, but in return he keeps my studio busy, and his clients are very impressed with the results I can provide. It looks good on everyone. And now after working together for two years + it has elevated my abilities and I am getting co-producer credits and whatever goes along with that financially. On the flip side, because of the level of trust, Phil (the producer I speak of) can take more of a work load on as I can handle a bigger bulk of the load. The more credits I get on his records, the more comfortable his clients are to the idea of me handling the basics. It's really a win win situation.

All I know is that I'm in the middle of nowhere and would not have had a chance in hell attracting clients outside of my surrounding area otherwise. I think what I am learning is that there are many financial angles besides a day rate if you have something others want. This is how I see it from the trenches and I'm sure others with a bigger track record might have a different view.
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

Bill Mueller

Re: Taking delivery of our New (old) SSL today!
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2011, 12:51:47 PM »

kats wrote on Mon, 24 January 2011 12:30

Good question.

The plan is to stripe our 16tk Studer and slave the SSL and PT (if needed) all to the tape deck. VCA automation on the SSL and for ancillary tracks automated through PT and brought out to the short faders.

Having said that, we not big on tracks the way we work. Even on the Ash Koley stuff, which is as "pop" as we get, I don't think we went over 24 tracks. And even then we could have reduced the number, but it was unnecessary in a DAW.

Now back to hijacking the thread (go ahead guys, it's a great topic) I think the best move I made was aligning myself with a good producer/songwriter to work out of my studio. It is a good thing to remember that, even in such a precarious business climate,  that you own something people want - it's just not affordable. All this "we can do it at home" stuff is just many being apologists for a bad situation.

So with that it mind, leverage your asset. In my case I provide a home base in a professional environment for an in demand producer. I charge very little for the suite, but in return he keeps my studio busy, and his clients are very impressed with the results I can provide. It looks good on everyone. And now after working together for two years + it has elevated my abilities and I am getting co-producer credits and whatever goes along with that financially. On the flip side, because of the level of trust, Phil (the producer I speak of) can take more of a work load on as I can handle a bigger bulk of the load. The more credits I get on his records, the more comfortable his clients are to the idea of me handling the basics. It's really a win win situation.

All I know is that I'm in the middle of nowhere and would not have had a chance in hell attracting clients outside of my surrounding area otherwise. I think what I am learning is that there are many financial angles besides a day rate if you have something others want. This is how I see it from the trenches and I'm sure others with a bigger track record might have a different view.

Tony,

This response needs to be over on the "fair compensation" thread!

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.