R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New Forums  (Read 15937 times)

Fletcher

New Forums
« on: January 17, 2011, 12:07:43 PM »

Hi all --

Needless to say I was more than a little bit surprised this morning as well... I was doing the NAMM thing all weekend, and while I got an email from Brad about it I wasn't quite sure what he was talking about.

There have been more than a few emails sent to the head honchos at the mother-ship corporation and hopefully this stuff will get sorted out sooner than later.  In the meanwhile, I'd kinda suggest that we all post here until that is out of what I would kinda consider its "beta" period.

It probably would have been nice if they had sent a memo or something to the mods / administrators of our little community... but obviously that ship has sailed.  Again, I suggest that before we get into a panic / despair / lamented loss situation it would be kind of a good thing to give it at least a few days and maybe we can figure out how to make a bit smoother transition.

We'll [as in the moderation / administration staff] will be sure to keep everyone filled in as we know more about what's going on / is possible.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

organica

Re: New Forums
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 01:59:30 PM »

I'm a little confused ( nothing new there, nor have the time to fully analyze) ....... This is an amazing valuable resource; it's all being deleted? Essentially? So make copies before the end of Feb or hope you're memory retained what you need?

Mac Kerr

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 02:10:05 PM »

organica wrote on Mon, 17 January 2011 13:59

I'm a little confused ( nothing new there, nor have the time to fully analyze) ....... This is an amazing valuable resource; it's all being deleted? Essentially? So make copies before the end of Feb or hope you're memory retained what you need?

AFAIK, there will be a searchable archive, but the current content will not be integrated into the new forums.

Mac
SR forums moderator

bigbone

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 03:40:39 PM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Mon, 17 January 2011 14:10

AFAIK, there will be a searchable archive, but the current content will not be integrated into the new forums.

Mac
SR forums moderator

Can i ask who are you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JN

Mac Kerr

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 05:38:09 PM »

bigbone wrote on Mon, 17 January 2011 15:40

Mac Kerr wrote on Mon, 17 January 2011 14:10

Mac
SR forums moderator

Can i ask who are you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JN

As it says in my post, I am one of the moderators of the SR forums side of this site. I, along with Doug Fowler also from the SR side, and Brad Blackwood from the R/E/P side, and Tom Young from the Church Sound forums have been working with the powers that be trying make sure that the needs of our various online communities get met. One of those needs was saving the years of online data that these forums represent. Unfortunately it was not possible to integrate it into the new forums, but we have been assured that it will be saved as a searchable archive.

I have posted an announcement in the SR forums, but because I am not an administrator in these forums I cannot post one here. Maybe it will help explain. There are also further announcements in the new forums.

Mac

trock

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 05:50:34 PM »

could you register another domain and post the forum there as an archive place?

just thinking of all the really amazing info collected here over the years?

i am not a web guru but there has to be a solution whereby the old forum stays intact and the new one sails

thanks!

Mac Kerr

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 06:11:49 PM »

trock wrote on Mon, 17 January 2011 17:50

i am not a web guru but there has to be a solution whereby the old forum stays intact and the new one sails

thanks!

I'm not an IT guy either, I just play one on the internet. I do not know the method that will be used, but these forums will be closed because they use excessive server time (what's been explained to me) that cost too much. I assume there will be a link somewhere that takes you to the archive to search old posts. We are all hoping for the best.

There is a Comments and Bugs forum on the new site where suggestions can be posted for the real IT guys.

Mac

Fletcher

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 06:46:04 PM »

Hey Mac - in case you didn't get an email, please check your PM's.

trock wrote on Mon, 17 January 2011 17:50

Fear not - everything that is here will continue to be here - searchable, findable, kept - archived - no worries.

The new system [once we all get used to the look and feel - it'll only take a week or so - I've been through this before... like when these forums changed over from being "recpit" in '04] will be easier to use, take less resources, not shut down for two hours in the EU morning for "backup" and lots of other improvements.

There is no way to migrate the user / participant base so head over to the "new site" and register.  If you find any bugs or things you're not loving post them on the appropriate forum for that and a bunch will be fixed... in the meanwhile know that there are a bunch of folks working backstage to make this transition as comfortable as possible.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

bc54

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 12:55:06 AM »

Tried to register for the new forum. Hmmmm....didn't realize that you needed to be approved. Not sure what the criteria is. Wonder if I'll make the cut.

Tomas Danko

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 07:06:10 AM »

bc54 wrote on Tue, 18 January 2011 05:55

Tried to register for the new forum. Hmmmm....didn't realize that you needed to be approved. Not sure what the criteria is. Wonder if I'll make the cut.

I'm starting to suspect this forum move is a covert operation in order to get rid of people dancing in a nutty fashion on YouTube. Quite a big and bold method, indeed! Smile

...But on a serious note, it seems they're just checking for spam bots and similar. My registration happened quite quickly, and on a Sunday at that.

Cheers,

Danko
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

Bill Mueller

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 02:38:46 PM »

I'm waiting for Terry.

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

faganking

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 02:47:39 PM »

Bill Mueller wrote on Tue, 18 January 2011 14:38

I'm waiting for Terry.

Bill

And I'm waiting for the two of you...ha!
Benjy King

http://www.benjyking.com

Phil Ramone quote: "If you can't get a good sound with a 57 and a Portastudio you're not going to get a good sound with a C-12 and a 3324."

Les Ismore

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 03:23:38 PM »

Hey, if it's new it must be better! Right?

Twisted Evil
Pete Honychurch - Fluid Sound
http://www.myspace.com/PeteHonychurch

Fletcher

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 05:11:32 PM »

bc54 wrote on Tue, 18 January 2011 00:55

All of the forums are running on the same platform right now - the LAB [Live Audio Board] and HOW [House of Worship] forums have always had this policy.

For the moment we're all lumped in together... it shouldn't be a problem, and we're working to sort out those problems.

It is very likely that we [the R/E/P "we"] will fully adopt a policy where your real name [which is 1000% required in LAB and HOW -- and a few other places like Klaus's forum and my forum "on demand"] will be implemented across the board.

The anonymity thing just sucks and leads to moron attraction [see Gearslutz for details] so we would like to try to avoid those additional complications at all costs.

There has been all kinds of communications on this stuff, and we are all looking for suggestions.  My only request is that they're phrased as suggestions and not is a cloak of sarcasm.  Don't get me wrong - I love sarcasm as much if not more than the next guy... but this just isn't the time.  There is a ton of information floating around so the Joe Friday ["just the facts please"] is what is really called for here.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Peter Weihe

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 05:45:34 PM »

faganking wrote on Tue, 18 January 2011 20:47

Bill Mueller wrote on Tue, 18 January 2011 14:38

I'm waiting for Terry.

Bill

And I'm waiting for the two of you...ha!

It will be strange, funny and insulting to see you guys being called  "newbies" over there.

Who in his right mind does choose that term as a default when it is clear that  a high percentage of members of this forum who are invited to register to the new forum consists of professionals, many of them with 3 decades of experience and hundreds or even thousands of records under their belt.

Imagine Tim de Paravicini or Paul Frindle say hello and help us out and will be called newbies.

Does anyone know what the strange "karma + -" thing means?
Is that a sort of an internet game oder posting competition?

The wealth of information this community has assembled is tremendous.

I have learned a lot from you guys and I think there is no book that I have read that contained such a wealth of practical tips for recording and producing.

I really hope that we can keep the community together and that Terry and Ross will be our moderators no matter where we go!

Just let us know.

Peter Weihe
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 19 queries.