R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Kinks  (Read 8178 times)

McAllister

The Kinks
« on: January 16, 2011, 11:32:43 PM »

Crap, how have I missed the bulk of Ray Davies' work all this time?
Yes, I know the big hits, I own Village Green Pres. Soc. album, and I remember tunes like Come Dancing and Sleepwalker - - but can anyone tell me what albums I should get next?

thanks

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.

tonelab

Re: The Kinks
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 01:35:36 AM »

Something Else
Arthur
Lola vs Powerman
Muswell Hillbillies
Face To Face

BBC Sessions (2001) - my favorite version of Waterloo Sunset, even though it has an annoying BBC announcer over the beginning of the track.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 03:17:46 AM »

Yes to all of those.  I'm also a big fan of the late '70s Arista records, like Sleepwalker and Misfits.  

Everybody's In Showbiz is another must have.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Blackie Pawless

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 06:33:45 AM »

Lola vs Powerman is great start to finish.
Low Budget is most consistent  late 70's album.
Something Else.
Any number of hits compilations.
Almost can't go wrong with any era.
Scott Baggett

Peller

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 08:58:57 AM »

Pretty much everything they did from 1965-1969 is ace. For me there are three truly great Kinks albums:

Face To Face
Arthur
Muswell Hillbillies

Village Green and Something Else are mostly excellent. I'm less keen on Lola but it does have a few fantastic tracks.

Get a Greatest Hits that includes the B-sides. Songs like 'I'm Not Like Everybody Else' wipe the floor with other people's A-sides.

MagnetoSound

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 09:32:21 AM »

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

Barkley McKay

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 10:38:27 AM »

I love the Kinks!

The best thing is that the songs may sound simple, but when I've transcribed them I've been constantly surprised at how clever they are harmonically - a wonderful illusion.

The devil's in the details!

barks

mcmike

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 11:17:28 AM »

I love about all the Kink's music, but I'm  really partial to Muswell Hillbillies. Here's a live clip from that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPMYkITzxn0

Mike McRoberts

Matt Winegar

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 01:22:29 PM »

Ray Davies is my musical hero. Love all the 60's Early 70's. There are some gems amongst the clunkers on the later stuff too.

Definitely grab Arthur, Something Else and Muswell right of the bat. Then work forward and backward from there.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 09:22:17 PM »

Matt, I believe years ago, you and I immediately bonded over our Big Star and Kinks fetishes.  One of these days, we need to make a record together.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

McAllister

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 01:34:22 PM »

I was once bound by some kinky fetishes, but I don't think that's what you meant.
Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 05:52:31 PM »

There's a '90s EP called "Did Ya" that is great, btw.
studio info

PRobb

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 01:39:22 PM »

Nice to see this thread. I just went on a bit of a Kinks jag. Village Green is pretty great. So is Something Else. And Face to Face. And....and.... and The Kinks pretty much rule!!!!!!!!!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

Kurt Foster

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »

My 2 favorite Kinks albums are Everybody's in Show Biz and Arthur.

Celluloid Heroes and Victoria are fave songs.

F&%k I'm OLD!

PRobb

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 02:48:21 PM »

Kurt Foster wrote on Wed, 19 January 2011 13:57

My 2 favorite Kinks albums are Everybody's in Show Biz and Arthur.

Celluloid Heroes and Victoria are fave songs.

Yes indeed. I hadn't heard Celluloid Heroes in a long time. Wow. For some reason I always want to follow it with the Beach Boy's Surf's Up.
And there are very few records that put a big, silly smile on my face like Waterloo Sunset.

Quote:

F&%k I'm OLD!

Rolling Eyes  Laughing
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

Gabriel F

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 03:33:50 PM »

I love the kinks, i discovered them a little late too. Way underrated band.

Like most have said you can start with "something else" and "face to face", great records all the way trough.

Lately i have been listeng to "state of confusion" the song "property" has one of the most amazing vocal performances i have ever heard.

And i have been listening to the band Supergrass, great band and some of their songs sounds like they could have been written by Ray Davies but without being a kinks clone. I recommend to give them a change too, a shame they split.

Matt Winegar

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 01:09:03 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Mon, 17 January 2011 19:22

Matt, I believe years ago, you and I immediately bonded over our Big Star and Kinks fetishes.  One of these days, we need to make a record together.

We certainly do! There is a possibility of Alain and I doing something musical in the near future. Next time I'm out there I'll hit you up.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 19 queries.