R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "AfterMastering" the new audio technology?!?  (Read 13032 times)

biigniick

"AfterMastering" the new audio technology?!?
« on: March 03, 2011, 01:58:23 PM »

thought everyone might get a kick out of this. . .

i had a client call today and ask if i could give hi-res files to him after our mastering session.  i said, 'no problem.  i can give you whatever you need.'  he then went on to tell me why he needed them.

it is this "revolutionary new process called after-mastering" that [his friend in LA] could take mastered files and make them "considerably louder without affecting the sonics, headroom or compressing the audio more."

Rolling Eyes

i told him i was interested in hearing the results. . .

Ruairi O'Flaherty

Re: "AfterMastering" the new audio technology?!?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 02:03:09 PM »

Can't find anything online about this but I met an artist at NAMM who had their cd single mastered with this process.  We took a listen in the PMC demo room and the track I heard sounded good.  It was incredibly hot but didn't seem nasty. Of course it was a good mix but I'd be curious to know what it is. I'm guessing it's a Slate style process...

Cheers,
Ruairi

Waltz Mastering

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 02:28:56 PM »

Louder than loud... please report back on this.; )

...also curious, cause I get slightly more request to bring it down a notch over bring it up a notch.

Can things really get louder than they currently are without falling completely apart?

no1uno

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 03:45:03 PM »

here's a tidbit :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Ryckman#AfterMaster_Music _Mastering http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Ryckman#AfterMaster_Music _Mastering

AfterMaster Music Mastering

In late 2009, after four years of development, Larry and his audio engineering team, Shelly Yakus and Ari Blitz, unveiled AfterMaster, a revolutionary process for the mastering and AfterMastering of audio recordings. The proprietary (patents pending) AfterMaster hardware and software process creates a final audio master recording with a loudness, fullness and clarity unachievable through traditional mastering techniques. The first major music releases using MyStudio Masters "AfterMaster" process were Janet Jackson's "Make Me" produced by Rodney "Darkchild" Jerkins, and Lady Gaga's multi-platinum "Telephone."

Shelly's been around a while and has a clue, so there may be something here.  Don't know Larry.

no1uno

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 03:57:14 PM »

the plot thickens :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_One_Media,_Inc.

Larry has a bit of a checkered past but here's some more on what we're interested in.  The first one reminds me of Recording Studios of America, which set up cassette tape recording studios in malls. joy...  Rolling Eyes

MyStudio

Slip

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 09:36:30 PM »

There are tons of tricks to get more apparent loudness even on fully slammed, ready made, masters.

One of them is low level upwards expansion in combination with relatively aggressive saturation (the nice harmonic kind). Now squash this parallel track, EQ out bits that eat up too much room, smash it to bits with a limiter and sneak it under the original audio.

Add to this trick a bunch of tactical boosts in the 1-8kHz region, only on the side channels and you get some more added energy again. You can also try saturating the sides a tiny bit more than the mids.

Now you'll need to add another limiter of course to keep the ceiling in check.

I've tried all kinds of these tricks on already super loud master CDs and successfully gotten them considerably louder. Of course in my opinion they all turned to absolute crap but it seems that a layman can not really tell the difference, except that one is louder. I even got some comments that one is way "phatter". Rolling Eyes

In short: To achieve this you have to drop the typical mastering engineer mentality and just go for broke. There are so many tricks to getting things louder than just the traditional ways. Traditional meaning gain staging in analogue gear, creating the correct frequency balance and then limiting/clipping. It's just that most of the other methods make us cringe and want to hang ourselves. Laughing

Cheers!
Niklas
Niklas Silen @ Good Will Studios, Helsinki, Finland

Darius van H

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 08:30:01 AM »

Good god, haven't CDs got loud enough, without someone inventing a new technique to make them even worse?!

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 10:45:10 AM »

If I had to venture a guess...

I would say it's probably some sort of harbal EQ reshaping & modelling process based on the Fletcher Munson curve to maximize apparent loudness. Perhaps using some 32 multi band limiter as well...

Seems like a bunch of nonsense, but checking the results might be interesting.

Can't imagine that they could improve one of Nick's masters.

Best, JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

hnewman

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 09:01:58 PM »

no1uno wrote on Thu, 03 March 2011 15:45

here's a tidbit :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Ryckman#AfterMaster_Music _Mastering  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Ryckman#AfterMaster_Music _Mastering

AfterMaster Music Mastering

In late 2009, after four years of development, Larry and his audio engineering team, Shelly Yakus and Ari Blitz, unveiled AfterMaster, a revolutionary process for the mastering and AfterMastering of audio recordings. The proprietary (patents pending) AfterMaster hardware and software process creates a final audio master recording with a loudness, fullness and clarity unachievable through traditional mastering techniques. The first major music releases using MyStudio Masters "AfterMaster" process were Janet Jackson's "Make Me" produced by Rodney "Darkchild" Jerkins, and Lady Gaga's multi-platinum "Telephone."

Shelly's been around a while and has a clue, so there may be something here.  Don't know Larry.

That is the most bizarre wikipedia entry I've ever read.
Dude owns (owned?) a Canadian Football League team....
and in his spare time figures out how to slaughter modern pop?

JCMastering

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 07:44:08 AM »

I took a listen to the before/after samples. On the first sample listed , I heard the following changes from the release version to the "AfterMastering" version:

A low end rolled off , wide mid boost , high frequency shelving boost. Loudness increased by about 3db. Heavy pumping and breathing. Mid/sides balance favoring sides.

Dave Rose

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 04:10:52 PM »

Do you think he sells performance enhancing jajoba berries and magic beans as well?

no1uno

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 07:44:55 PM »

well, the shakti stone franchise was already taken...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 17 queries.