R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Taking delivery of our New (old) SSL today!  (Read 19917 times)

kats

Taking delivery of our New (old) SSL today!
« on: January 12, 2011, 09:29:45 AM »

I might have mentioned in a thread a few months ago that we bought an SSL6KE/G+. Well after a complete overhaul we take delivery of it this afternoon. With a little help from my friends ( incl. pizza & beer) we're going to try and get this  1200lb thing into the CR.

I thought I'd be more excited (bite your tongue Weedy!), but all I can think of is what can go wrong...

I have until Sunday to get it all up and running, so I should be okay (knock on formica)!

I'll be dreaming of cables, pins, and crimp tools for the next little while. So if you hear me espousing the merits of ITB mixing, you'll know what happened!
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

grantis

Re: Taking delivery of our New (old) SSL today!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 10:02:42 AM »

Wow I feel your pain, that is the one console I've ever had the 'pleasure' of trying to move.  Best of luck, it will be worth it!!

And nice choice on the 6k!
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

Bill Mueller

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 10:04:04 AM »

kats wrote on Wed, 12 January 2011 09:29

I might have mentioned in a thread a few months ago that we bought an SSL6KE/G+. Well after a complete overhaul we take delivery of it this afternoon. With a little help from my friends ( incl. pizza & beer) we're going to try and get this  1200lb thing into the CR.

I thought I'd be more excited (bite your tongue Weedy!), but all I can think of is what can go wrong...

I have until Sunday to get it all up and running, so I should be okay (knock on formica)!

I'll be dreaming of cables, pins, and crimp tools for the next little while. So if you hear me espousing the merits of ITB mixing, you'll know what happened!

Tony,

Congratulations! This reminds me of my first SSL commissioning. Very cool.

Don't pay a moment's notice to the SSL haters around here either. You are going to make incredible music with that beast. If I had the room, I would have one too.

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

arconaut

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 10:26:45 AM »

Congrats! When we were planning to install a console, I measured the elevator to see that it would fit. Then I measured again and again. Probably did it 20 times. Even though it seemed fine I was a paranoid wreck about it. Then it went up easy peasy. Have fun with your exciting new toy!
You Are Number Six

François Kevorkian

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 10:51:16 AM »

kats wrote on Wed, 12 January 2011 14:29

I'll be dreaming of cables, pins, and crimp tools for the next little while.

I miss the one I had very much... make that very, very much.

Good luck!

compasspnt

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 11:02:31 AM »

Congratulations, and bon voyage!

kats

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 11:02:32 AM »

Bill Mueller wrote on Wed, 12 January 2011 09:04

Tony,

Don't pay a moment's notice to the SSL haters around here either. You are going to make incredible music with that beast. If I had the room, I would have one too.

Bill

Well it's going to be interesting to see if my brain thought this out properly. It's a baby SSL 24 channel from the factory that was originally built for National Geographic. The center section is modified to bypass the ABC matrix and the B&C stereo outs simply come out on the patch bay. The patchbay has a couple of neat mods where you have spare stereo returns xformer balanced to accept unbalanced inputs like a turntable or what have you. It was originally ordered with with the xformer coupled mic pre option (Jenson) as well. No clue what they sound like.

My workflow is not very "SSL like" to begin with since we usually track to 16tk tape. So I thought the size would be okay (as I already work on a 24ch Neotek and didn't wish for more channels. What I couldn't stand was having to patch everything in on the Neotek for sub groups etc etc - really slowed down workflow and that was the main reason I thought I would prefer this board. For bigger projects I figured I could run the main tracks to the large faders and then the not so main stuff through the small faders and process/automate the small faders in PT. But those are not as common. My associate and I have also become much more serious in our artist development/production side of things so we get to call the shots on how we do things more than usual - so I don't see our needs changing in this regard due to outside pressure. Who knows, I could be completely wrong haha!

I figured I could see how it goes and if I feel the need for a larger console I could move this in our second room and get another one. The prices are so cheap these days that it's hard to resist.
Tony K.

Samc

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 11:07:40 AM »

Congrats, but I don't envy you for all the work that is awaiting you (especially if it's a big monster).  For that reason my last console, (a custom ADT 5MT) was literally a plug and play affair, I don't want to go through another commissioning if I can avoid it.
Sam Clayton

kats

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 11:23:41 AM »

Tell me about it. I started hallucinating the last time building a 384 pt TT patchbay-all hardwired. I said to myself never again! These DL systems are way easier in comparison though, so the cup is half full.
Tony K.

ssltech

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 11:26:51 AM »

SSL's?

Good lord, I loathe those things. -They sound just terrible. -You can't make ANYTHING sound good on them!

-They kill music, in fact.

Seriously though, they're a blast, and can be quite fun to work on, so long as you didn't get Plasma meters! (hush my mouth!)
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

compasspnt

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 11:35:11 AM »

ssltech wrote on Wed, 12 January 2011 11:26

...so long as you didn't get Plasma meters!

Truer words...

stevieeastend

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 12:13:49 PM »

I love SSL! Congrats!!

Bill Mueller

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 02:24:28 PM »

kats wrote on Wed, 12 January 2011 11:02

Bill Mueller wrote on Wed, 12 January 2011 09:04

Tony,

Bill

Well it's going to be interesting to see if my brain thought this out properly. It's a baby SSL 24 channel from the factory that was originally built for National Geographic. The center section is modified to bypass the ABC matrix and the B&C stereo outs simply come out on the patch bay. The patchbay has a couple of neat mods where you have spare stereo returns xformer balanced to accept unbalanced inputs like a turntable or what have you. It was originally ordered with with the xformer coupled mic pre option (Jenson) as well. No clue what they sound like.

My workflow is not very "SSL like" to begin with since we usually track to 16tk tape. So I thought the size would be okay (as I already work on a 24ch Neotek and didn't wish for more channels. What I couldn't stand was having to patch everything in on the Neotek for sub groups etc etc - really slowed down workflow and that was the main reason I thought I would prefer this board. For bigger projects I figured I could run the main tracks to the large faders and then the not so main stuff through the small faders and process/automate the small faders in PT. But those are not as common. My associate and I have also become much more serious in our artist development/production side of things so we get to call the shots on how we do things more than usual - so I don't see our needs changing in this regard due to outside pressure. Who knows, I could be completely wrong haha!

I figured I could see how it goes and if I feel the need for a larger console I could move this in our second room and get another one. The prices are so cheap these days that it's hard to resist.

Tony,

It's a good thing that you have a console modded to bypass the matrix, because IMO that "feature" was the weakness of the 6K.
You will also now be able to make PUNCHY tracks compared to the Neotek, although you may miss the silkiness of the top band of the Neotek EQ.

Something I'm certain you will find is many new ways to work on signal flow with this console. Lots of rerouting options!

Good luck!

Bill

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

Bill Mueller

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 02:26:57 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Wed, 12 January 2011 11:35

ssltech wrote on Wed, 12 January 2011 11:26

...so long as you didn't get Plasma meters!

Truer words...

Oh boy did I ever have a love/hate relationship with them! 120 volt meters if I remember right! Wha?

Bill

amorris

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 03:58:49 PM »

this is great! I love working on large format consoles for music. and SSLs will never have you wanting for more options.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 20 queries.