R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Taking delivery of our New (old) SSL today!  (Read 20151 times)

kats

Re: Taking delivery of our New (old) SSL today!
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2011, 05:35:39 PM »

ssltech wrote on Wed, 12 January 2011 10:26

SSL's?

Good lord, I loathe those things. -They sound just terrible. -You can't make ANYTHING sound good on them!

-They kill music, in fact.

I'm really digging the sound of this thing so far. Obviously your being facetious, but I don't get all the ragging on these boards. Now I've never used some of the old classics before but I think this thing sounds fantastic. There a certain forwardness and presence I'm beginning to recognize, but I still find it open sounding. I wonder if the smaller frame size makes any difference in that regard.

http://empirerecording.ca/sslchair.jpg
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

delcosmos

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2011, 06:15:08 PM »

Congratulations Tony,

This is funny because we are also installing right now 2 "New-old" 4000G+'s, one is a 4048G+ and the second one is a 4040G+

Ross Alexander is in charge of the decommission-commission job.

He's calibrating everything and service them right now.

I also moved my Duality to my "Production room" so... we are a cable jungle right now!

Best regards.

delcosmos.

compasspnt

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2011, 06:38:17 PM »

kats wrote on Tue, 18 January 2011 10:54

Oh and a tip of the hat to Terry. My speaker stands were too short for the console and I had remembered his "PVC sewer pipe stand filled with sand" trick and they worked perfectly. I capped both ends with the matching sewer stops which conveniently had screw holes to screw into MDF bases that I bought. Some black spray paint and viola! Brilliant.

GREAT, this makes my day.

So glad that worked out!

Bill Mueller

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2011, 06:50:57 PM »

delcosmos wrote on Sat, 22 January 2011 18:15

Congratulations Tony,

This is funny because we are also installing right now 2 "New-old" 4000G+'s, one is a 4048G+ and the second one is a 4040G+

I also moved my Duality to my "Production room" so... we are a cable jungle right now!

Best regards.

delcosmos.

Armondo,

I was with you until the "move the Duality to the production room" thing. I have used the Duality at Sheffield and I think it is a great sounding board, fat, articulate and really excellent imaging. Why move it out of the music room? Just curious.

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

Bill Mueller

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2011, 06:51:58 PM »

Tony,

No.

Bill

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

kats

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2011, 06:57:53 PM »

delcosmos wrote on Sat, 22 January 2011 17:15

Congratulations Tony,

Best regards.

delcosmos.

That's awesome Armando! I don't blame you at all, I honestly feel guilty buying these things for such ridiculously low prices. So much quality, right down to the little switches. You just don't see that any more. I doubt we ever will.
Tony K.

delcosmos

« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2011, 07:33:36 PM »

Bill Mueller wrote on Sat, 22 January 2011 17:50

Congratulations Tony,

Best regards.

delcosmos.

Armondo,

I was with you until the "move the Duality to the production room" thing. I have used the Duality at Sheffield and I think it is a great sounding board, fat, articulate and really excellent imaging. Why move it out of the music room? Just curious.

Bill

Bill, I agree with you, the thing is that these days I'm producing and mixing in my production room at the same time, so in the end, the one that will work more is my Duality!

The reason for installing the 4000G+'s is because I really like the sound of those beasts. But most important, now I have a great staff to keep them working, my "in house" tech will take care of them daily, that was the most important thing to make my decision.

Also, my business is growing and we are supporting new producers and mixing engineers, in fact, the second 4000 will be the console of a great guy that we just hired, who is a great mixer engineer, so we will open a new mixing room for him.

Best regards.

delcosmos.

Bill Mueller

« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2011, 08:31:30 PM »

delcosmos wrote on Sat, 22 January 2011 19:33

Bill Mueller wrote on Sat, 22 January 2011 17:50

Congratulations Tony,

Best regards.

delcosmos.

Armondo,

Bill

Bill, I agree with you, the thing is that these days I'm producing and mixing in my production room at the same time, so in the end, the one that will work more is my Duality!

The reason for installing the 4000G+'s is because I really like the sound of those beasts. But most important, now I have a great staff to keep them working, my "in house" tech will take care of them daily, that was the most important thing to make my decision.

Also, my business is growing and we are supporting new producers and mixing engineers, in fact, the second 4000 will be the console of a great guy that we just hired, who is a great mixer engineer, so we will open a new mixing room for him.

Best regards.

delcosmos.

Armondo,

Congratulations!

Bill

ssltech

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2011, 11:08:35 PM »

kats wrote on Sat, 22 January 2011 17:35

ssltech wrote on Wed, 12 January 2011 10:26

SSL's?

Good lord, I loathe those things. -They sound just terrible. -You can't make ANYTHING sound good on them!

-They kill music, in fact.

I'm really digging the sound of this thing so far. Obviously your being facetious, but I don't get all the ragging on these boards. Now I've never used some of the old classics before but I think this thing sounds fantastic.
http://empirerecording.ca/sslchair.jpg

Tell it to the choir, brutha!

-I love them.

Wait until you discover WHY you love it...

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Peter Weihe

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2011, 07:42:17 AM »

delcosmos wrote on Sun, 23 January 2011 01:33

Also, my business is growing and we are supporting new producers and mixing engineers ...

Best regards.

delcosmos.

Hi Armondo,

congratulations!

That is an amazing and encouraging statement at this time and state of the music industry.

Would you mind sharing how you managed to make your business grow when so many great studios around us are closing down?

Peter

Peter Weihe

delcosmos

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2011, 02:24:27 PM »

Peter Weihe wrote on Sun, 23 January 2011 06:42

delcosmos wrote on Sun, 23 January 2011 01:33

Also, my business is growing and we are supporting new producers and mixing engineers ...

Best regards.

delcosmos.

Hi Armondo,

congratulations!

That is an amazing and encouraging statement at this time and state of the music industry.

Would you mind sharing how you managed to make your business grow when so many great studios around us are closing down?

Peter

Hello Peter,

Well,  the key (in my case) is Songwriting, producing and playing, I also record and mix most of my records, I don't have to rent external studios, we are self-sufficient, also my company is holding more producers who are having great success on their own projects.
BTW, I also have my own publishing company. We are starting the year with 6 new projects from the main remaining labels, I know this are difficult times for our industry, but we have found ways to keep rolling.

In 2010 I produced 75 songs, 32 different artists, wrote 20 songs, won a Grammy, a Billboard producer of the year for second year in a row, 2 Ascap awards, one BMI Award, we got 4 platinum and 6 gold records, we got #1 singles and albums in Spain, Mexico, South America and the latin market of USA.

I started producing in 1994, my first hit came in 2002, since then we haven't stopped!
Every single piece of gear or musical instrument in my studio, was bought with the incomes of my music, I'm proud of it.

Best.

Armando.

kats

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2011, 03:00:18 PM »

I'd like to chime in on this as I see our direction is heading more and more in the direction that Armando speaks of. It seems to me that the business model of chasing young musicians for $1000/day (or even $500/day) is becoming nonsensical as most of them are broke.

The last few years we've seen the money in publishing and syncs. So taking on the role as an artist developer, using all the facility at our disposal and working for back end is becoming more lucrative (and creatively rewarding). You have to be able to do it all (IMO). Song writing, producing, engineering, mixing... finished product presented to the right people. JV's or the selling off of our interests is the goal for us at this stage of the game. The record labels just don't want to fork over large sums of money anymore for this sort of thing and publishing advances don't nearly cover what it costs to really do a good production. They're expecting artists to be able to do it at home, or at least on the very cheap. Having the ground work laid out is very appealing for all involved. The risk is lower for them and the upside is bigger for us.
Tony K.

bigbone

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2011, 04:00:07 PM »

delcosmos wrote on Sun, 23 January 2011 14:24

Hello Peter,

Well,  the key (in my case) is Songwriting, producing and playing, I also record and mix most of my records, I don't have to rent external studios, we are self-sufficient, also my company is holding more producers who are having great success on their own projects.
BTW, I also have my own publishing company. We are starting the year with 6 new projects from the main remaining labels, I know this are difficult times for our industry, but we have found ways to keep rolling.

In 2010 I produced 75 songs, 32 different artists, wrote 20 songs, won a Grammy, a Billboard producer of the year for second year in a row, 2 Ascap awards, one BMI Award, we got 4 platinum and 6 gold records, we got #1 singles and albums in Spain, Mexico, South America and the latin market of USA.

I started producing in 1994, my first hit came in 2002, since then we haven't stopped!
Every single piece of gear or musical instrument in my studio, was bought with the incomes of my music, I'm proud of it.

Best.

Armando.

Yes it's nice to hear someone who's talking positive about the music industry.

I wish you the best again.

JN

Peter Weihe

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2011, 04:24:52 PM »

delcosmos wrote on Sun, 23 January 2011 20:24

Best.

Armando.

Hats off to you, Armando!

That is a tremendous output for one year. Really something you and your grandchildren and grandgrandchildren can be proud of!

Beside your talent and dedication you must have a very efficient time management
and lots of energy. You must truly be loving what you do.

More power to you and good luck for yourself, your crew and the new mixing room.

Best, Peter

Peter Weihe

delcosmos

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2011, 07:57:46 AM »

Peter Weihe wrote on Sun, 23 January 2011 15:24

delcosmos wrote on Sun, 23 January 2011 20:24

Best.

Armando.

Hats off to you, Armando!

That is a tremendous output for one year. Really something you and your grandchildren and grandgrandchildren can be proud of!

Beside your talent and dedication you must have a very efficient time management
and lots of energy. You must truly be loving what you do.

More power to you and good luck for yourself, your crew and the new mixing room.

Best, Peter

Thank you guys.

I don't want to hijack this thread, let's keep talking about that beautiful 6000 of Mr. Kats.

Tell us Tony, are you using the built in automation or are you automating levels on your DAW?

Best regards.

delcosmos.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 19 queries.