R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I just LOVE these mics...!  (Read 15460 times)

MagnetoSound

Re: I just LOVE these mics...!
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2011, 12:44:41 PM »

KB_S1 wrote on Thu, 13 January 2011 17:19

Is there any scope for a 'door stop' style safety on the grill itself? Just a little pair of rubber points that would only ever touch the top of the assembly if it did make an over excursion due to a knock or sudden shake.

If there is a protective top collar available for these capsules, such as is fitted to the Neumann K87, I would have thought it would do the job, no?

Not to say a nice fat rubber arrangement might not be more pleasing, of course.  Smile

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

ssltech

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2011, 12:45:25 PM »

Yes, the first couple of pictures actually show a U87 base, which was used as a tool for experimentation early on. The later photos show the combination which was arrived at as a result.

A top collar would work for 'oscillative' motion, but wouldn't do any good if the bottom saddle broke, which would leave the capsules free to dance around, with the thin diaphragm wires like slack puppet-strings.

Keith.
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

MagnetoSound

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2011, 12:52:26 PM »

ssltech wrote on Thu, 13 January 2011 17:45

A top collar would work for 'oscillative' motion, but wouldn't do any good if the bottom saddle broke, which would leave the capsules free to dance around, with the thin diaphragm wires like slack puppet-strings.

Absolutely - so, metal saddles the way to go then?

Very impressive build, btw!

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

ssltech

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2011, 01:18:07 PM »

If I can find some, then that's what I'll do, for sure.

-Of course by then I might just as well make the whole thing a "version three" build. (the one you're looking at is in fact version 2... the original version 1 was built into a brass handrail, but the capsule fit was just TOO tight!

Pics of the connector end of Version 1 (which was tight ENOUGH... even before I struggled at the capsule end!):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/SSLtech/01-Mic-Metalwork.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/SSLtech/02-Mic-Inside.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/SSLtech/03-Mic-Bottom.jpg

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.