R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Mic or New Pre Amp?  (Read 5030 times)

hoovie87

New Mic or New Pre Amp?
« on: January 10, 2011, 12:16:34 PM »

I want to look into getting a good vocal microphone for recording that is inexpensive.  At the time being this is for my home setup.  I'm using a 003 Rack+.  I have been using a Samson C01.  The reason being is that at work, the C01 blew out thousands of dollars of mic on a particular vocalist we had.  I didn't believe it until I heard it and mixed two songs with it.  It's now been a joke throughout our sound team!  However, it is a bit noisy on the high end without a good pre amp.  Through the liquid 4pres at work into PT HD it's great, but on the 003 rack, there is some hissing in the air area that just bad enough that I'm going to look for another mic.

That being said, would you have a suggestion for a microphone within two hundred dollars that sounds ok on vocals?  I think in the mean time I'm going to switch to my Audix VX5 because it sounds very similar and just as flat as the C01.

Or, would you suggest a pre amp for my needs?  It would have to have ADAT.

Please say if you would suggest either a mic or a pre amp and which mic or pre amp - hopefully within a couple hundred dollars.

MagnetoSound

Re: New Mic or New Pre Amp?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 12:35:55 PM »

A used Shure KSM32 would probably fit your needs well.

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

Bill_Urick

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 06:58:49 PM »

MagnetoSound wrote on Mon, 10 January 2011 12:35

A used Shure KSM32 would probably fit your needs well.

Agreed. Or an Audio Technica AT4033.
And don't forget the lowly Shure SM57/58.

A KSM32 or AT4033 AND an SM58 would cover quite a bit of ground for very little cash.
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

pete andrews

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 11:25:31 PM »

Quote:

New Mic or New Pre Amp?

room treatment.

-pete

Tim Halligan

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 11:26:02 AM »

hoovie87 wrote on Tue, 11 January 2011 01:16

...a good vocal microphone for recording that is inexpensive.

Oxymoron.

Cheers,
Tim
"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters

Jay Kadis

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 11:35:42 AM »

I have had good results for vocals and many instruments from the AKG C535EB.  You can get them for under $300.  I haven't found anything cheaper that compares.

el duderino

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 12:53:53 PM »

definitely a mic

used Shure SM7's go for around $225-250. they're also good on bass drums and bass amps.

Halfway Competent

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 04:00:54 PM »

Maybe a used EV RE20.

Great vocal mic, great kick mic.  Fairly low sensitivity (similar to SM57/58), so best for louder voices.

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 11:54:21 AM »

hoovie87 wrote on Mon, 10 January 2011 09:16

I want to look into getting a good vocal microphone for recording that is inexpensive.  At the time being this is for my home setup.  I'm using a 003 Rack+.  I have been using a Samson C01.  The reason being is that at work, the C01 blew out thousands of dollars of mic on a particular vocalist we had.  I didn't believe it until I heard it and mixed two songs with it.  It's now been a joke throughout our sound team!  However, it is a bit noisy on the high end without a good pre amp.  Through the liquid 4pres at work into PT HD it's great, but on the 003 rack, there is some hissing in the air area that just bad enough that I'm going to look for another mic.

That being said, would you have a suggestion for a microphone within two hundred dollars that sounds ok on vocals?  I think in the mean time I'm going to switch to my Audix VX5 because it sounds very similar and just as flat as the C01.

Or, would you suggest a pre amp for my needs?  It would have to have ADAT.

Please say if you would suggest either a mic or a pre amp and which mic or pre amp - hopefully within a couple hundred dollars.

If the problem is, as you have stated, with the Digi003+' mic preamp, why on earth would you then go to thinking the mic needs replacing / changing?

If the mic works with a good mic preamp, then the mic CANNOT be the issue.

Cheers
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 20 queries.