R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ron Murphy from NSC / Sound Enterprises RIP  (Read 3426 times)

JGreenslade

Ron Murphy from NSC / Sound Enterprises RIP
« on: January 18, 2008, 09:09:45 AM »

http://www.soundenterprises.com/

As someone who has tens, possibly hundreds of records cut by Mr Murphy, I was saddened to hear of his passing.

Murphy was known as the 'go-to' engineer for electronica artists in Detroit. I can tell you for an absolute fact that a very high proportion of the recordings that were brought to him were recorded at home studios, with poor acoustic conditions. Although Murphy's facility wasn't exactly Abbey Road, he had the ability to fool me into thinking that the music had been recorded at far more lavishly-equipped facilities, on more than a few occasions. I guess this really illustrates that, in mastering, whilst it's useful to have Abbey Rd's equipment list, chops are what counts in the end.

When I heard the news, I did some Googling and found many artists posting the same sentiment, i.e. 'it was a low budget recording - I never thought you'd get it to sound professional - but he certainly did'.

From the records I have in my collection, I would never have known Murphy to have such a modest setup - they have a real balance and clarity to them.

More historically-important electronic music has come from Detroit in last 20 years than any other single area worldwide IMHO. Murphy played an important role in this and his legacy will live on.  

Murphy Link

Justin
Audio is a vocational affliction

"there is no "homeopathic" effect in bits and bytes." - HansP

Gold

Re: Ron Murphy from NSC / Sound Enterprises RIP
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 04:40:20 PM »

R.I.P. I never met the man but I've heard stories. It's a strange and wonderful business. Always has been always will be.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

TotalSonic

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 04:56:55 PM »

Darn - not yet 60 years old is a bit too early to go in my book.  I'm not familiar with Ron Murphy or his work but it was nice to see the video on the linked site - always fun for me to get a vibe of one of the "old skool" guys at work.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Patrik T

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 02:50:29 AM »

Old Topic but I stumbled across the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgjAyic2rt4

This is what makes someone truly professional in every aspect of the very word. Objectivity at its best.

RIP.

Patrik

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 11:00:27 AM »

Interesting video.

A good reminder that a dedicated talented guy with a few key pieces of gear and good ears can do amazing thIngs.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.