R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SSL Computer Crashing  (Read 6926 times)

pbenja

SSL Computer Crashing
« on: January 08, 2011, 08:49:30 PM »

My ssl 4064 g/g+ started crashing way more than normal! Now after most automation
moves it crashes after trying to save. Even when we try to label a new disk it occasionally crashes. Any ideas on where to start looking?
Thanks

sodderboy

Re: SSL Computer Crashing
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 08:05:50 AM »

Do you have a fresh program disk?  A must.  You should always have at least two fresh "COPY CUSTOM" program disks on deck- one to try if you suspect the disk, and one safety.  I stress to owners to change the disks every six months.
Try that first.
Mike

ssltech

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 08:41:45 AM »

Swap disks. Swap drives.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

pbenja

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 09:06:02 AM »

After it started crashing we installed a copy of the program disk and it started to  crash
with more frequency. We have a pair of zip drives in the tower as well which I haven't tried yet. Does this seem like a drive issue rather than a card issue?
Thanks

ssltech

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 09:20:06 AM »

Use the "drive reverse" button, and see if the drive is causing problems.

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

pbenja

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 09:29:04 AM »

I didn't realize the drive reverse worked on the 3.5" drive as well!. I just tried cleaning the drives but didn't get a chance to test it again!
Thanks

pbenja

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 12:15:05 PM »

Does the drive reverse button work on the 3.5" drives?
Thanks

ssltech

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 02:22:21 PM »

I'm pretty sure it does... it'd be a simple matter to confirm, since if the computer boots from the program disk in the other location, that'd be a pretty good confirmation.

Keith

pbenja

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 09:31:29 PM »

Does anyone know the 3.5" drive model number?
Thanks

Pete

sodderboy

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 06:50:40 PM »

That is the TEAC Unobtanium Model 4.
It used a TEAC drive that was jumper configurable to different formats.  The same drive is used in the AKAI S900 and S1000 by the way.  You had to slice the key off the connector to reverse it but it worked.
TEAC still made the drive, as of 7 years ago, but the jumpers were changed to SMD zero ohm resistors and there was no real documentation for either.  I tried for a few weeks to engineer the jumpers for SSL and AKAI but it was a bust.
Mike

pbenja

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 02:52:21 PM »

Still crashing but not as much! Now just sometimes on labeling the disk or when using the join function. On the labeling issue, we just kept tossing blank disks until the reel drive would recognize the reel drive and would label the disk! The join function would usually work on the second try.

j.hall

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 12:09:05 PM »

we went through a similar issue with our 6056E/G.  the computer wouldn't even boot, nor would the drives spin up to read the disc.

we sent the drives out for repair, they were fine.  source of the entire problem was the power supply for the drives.  we pulled that card, blew off all the dust, cleaned it up, re-seated it and we were back up and running.

i'm no tech, but it's worth a can of compressed air and some contact cleaner to see if our problem is also your problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 23 queries.