R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tour numbers are in: Old Farts Rule  (Read 14376 times)

Samc

Re: Tour numbers are in: Old Farts Rule
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 07:13:19 PM »

Tom L wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 00:07

Samc wrote on Thu, 06 January 2011 09:21

Tom L wrote on Thu, 06 January 2011 16:02

Dominick wrote on Thu, 06 January 2011 06:26

Ah, the new paradigm

yup. pretty sad

What's sad?

Bon Jovi topping the list isn't enough to make you weep?

No.  Apparently a lot of people (freely) paid money to see this band why should that make me weep pray tell?
Sam Clayton

Bill Mueller

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 07:20:53 PM »

Samc wrote on Thu, 06 January 2011 19:13

Ah, the new paradigm

yup. pretty sad

What's sad?

No.  Apparently a lot of people (freely) paid money to see this band why should that make me weep pray tell?

Why Sam,

I didn't know you were such a Bon Jovi fan!

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

PookyNMR

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 07:26:07 PM »

Samc wrote on Thu, 06 January 2011 17:13

Ah, the new paradigm

yup. pretty sad

What's sad?

Say what you will about the band or their music.  I saw the show.  It was solid and they worked hard at keeping the crowd entertained.  I can see why people continue to see them in big numbers.  They put on a good show and people enjoy it.

And they're not Nickelback.
Nathan Rousu

Samc

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 07:51:59 PM »

Bill Mueller wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 00:20

Why Sam,

I didn't know you were such a Bon Jovi fan!

I'm outed now...

Sam Clayton

Tom L

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 08:02:40 PM »

Not going down that path.  Just personal opinion which to each his/her own. I'll leave it at that.

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 10:57:57 PM »

On the more recent live acts, does the record companies take a cut on these tours now??   If so, how much do you think they take?    They have to be getting a nice share of the GaGa/bieber shows, no?  anyone?

Thanks
"When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. If that were the purpose of music then obviously the fastest players would be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are not aiming to arrive at a particular place on the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we play music the playing itself is the point."  -Alan Watts

Samc

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 08:24:06 AM »

Bubba Kron wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 03:57

On the more recent live acts, does the record companies take a cut on these tours now??   If so, how much do you think they take?    They have to be getting a nice share of the GaGa/bieber shows, no?  anyone?

Without knowing the specificities of their respective contracts it is not possible to provide a definitive answer to your questions, and without knowing exactly how these tours were setup we cannot know what the net earnings are of these bands and artists.

However, the number I mostly see being thrown around for all inclusive deals is a 50/50 split of the net between artist and label, but, do we know if any of these bands or artists have such a deal...
Sam Clayton

MDM,

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 10:12:41 AM »

people want their money's worth.  

Fan Bases are much larger for the 'vintage' artists.

this is no surprise to me at all.

I am always reminded of a woman who called-in at CHUM FM in toronto in the late 80's asking with a bewildered voice: "what is it that makes some music good and other music not good" or something to that effect... this coincided with oldies stations, classic rock etc. becoming a major radio format.. the seeds were sown.. The announcer replied: whatever music you like, but they were already admitting a change from CHR to Classic Rock was inevitable because their audience didn't want to hear the new music.

The idea is that listeners were becoming aware of bands that were super-hyped through MTV and promotion, but the music wasn't convincing enough..

but what really surprises me is this:
I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy .. in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry and music.
John Adams (1735-1826) 2nd President, United States

cgc

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 10:59:56 AM »

2009 had U2, Coldplay and AC/DC on tour which were all huge money makers.

JimmyJ

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 11:50:57 AM »

Bubba Kron wrote on Thu, 06 January 2011 19:57

Thanks

I don't claim to understand the entire business model of major touring (from my low angle of observation) but in days-of-old Record Companies used to be involved in "tour support", essentially sponsoring the tour.  The original purpose of touring was seen as advertising to sell records.  It could be as sponsors they shared in a tour's profits back then, I don't know.  More likely any money invested was simply recouped from the Artist's record royalties.  (Another fine loan arrangement...)

The situation has flipped upside-down now with the record becoming an advertisement for the tour (which now usually has corporate sponsorship).  A prime example was Prince simply giving his album away.

I think the money is in touring now and I don't think the record companies have a hand in it.  Unless they are the entity that has completely created the Artist...  Then who knows?

Jimmy J

RMoore

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2011, 12:27:45 PM »

Yes back in the old days labels used to, on occasion, cough up money in the form of 'tour support' which was seen as an investment well-spent to subsidize the tour and help promote the album. Standard operating procedure. This money would be mercilessly recouped from future sales.

I once went on the road with band in +- '89 for 2 weeks in the US where the label supposedly sunk 80 grand into it in order to cover wages ( I made about $400), motorhome hire, gas/food/lodging etc, a free bar at venues for media, label, distribution & retail people, and maybe even venue hire..  

Those were the days!

People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

ktownson

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2011, 12:29:32 PM »

CAA knows.
"World Boogie is coming." James Luther Dickinson

Samc

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2011, 12:31:47 PM »

JimmyJ wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 16:50

The situation has flipped upside-down now with the record becoming an advertisement for the tour (which now usually has corporate sponsorship).  A prime example was Prince simply giving his album away.

Prince did not "give away" his album, fans paid for the CD when they bought a ticket to his show...
Sam Clayton

Bill Mueller

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2011, 12:38:40 PM »

MDM, wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 10:12

people want their money's worth.  

Fan Bases are much larger for the 'vintage' artists.

this is no surprise to me at all.

I am always reminded of a woman who called-in at CHUM FM in toronto in the late 80's asking with a bewildered voice: "what is it that makes some music good and other music not good" or something to that effect... this coincided with oldies stations, classic rock etc. becoming a major radio format.. the seeds were sown.. The announcer replied: whatever music you like, but they were already admitting a change from CHR to Classic Rock was inevitable because their audience didn't want to hear the new music.

The idea is that listeners were becoming aware of bands that were super-hyped through MTV and promotion, but the music wasn't convincing enough..

but what really surprises me is this:

Max,

The best explanation I have ever heard was that because of the hormonal changes that occur during puberty, music from that time is imprinted on the brain with an intensity that is never duplicated again. That is why some of us can remember every nuance of a Beatles song from 1965, but can't remember where we left our keys last night.

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

Samc

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2011, 12:44:02 PM »

RMoore wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 17:27

Those were the days!

It's even better these days in my opinion Ryan, no tour support has forced (some) bands and their management to be more innovative when planning and executing tours.  When done correctly everybody still gets paid but you don't have the label in your pocket...
Sam Clayton
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 19 queries.