R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: ...so I have a friend who is A&R with a major label...  (Read 20193 times)

Bubba#$%Kron

Re: ...so I have a friend who is A&R with a major label...
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »

I just spoke to a promoter friend last night, and he was telling me what some of these idiot ITB laptop assholes are getting to just play their m-audio BS at events now.  Were talking 20 grand a pop, 5 shows a week!!   I seriously dont think I have ever been more pissed off in my entire life, I know them personally and know these fuckers dont even know what a neve preamp is or does!  I'm sitting here trying to do real stuff with real gear(while being broke as shit and scared  shitless), these guys are making serious money off a god damn laptop,behringer midi controllers, and dog shit music!!  

I just want to wake up and hope this is all a dream!!

Now I know how you guys really feel!!!
"When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. If that were the purpose of music then obviously the fastest players would be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are not aiming to arrive at a particular place on the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we play music the playing itself is the point."  -Alan Watts

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »

This guy right here!!!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRftXCiqfQ8

what a world when this crap is going big!!!!
"When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. If that were the purpose of music then obviously the fastest players would be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are not aiming to arrive at a particular place on the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we play music the playing itself is the point."  -Alan Watts

el duderino

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2011, 12:50:28 AM »

Bubba Kron wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 19:40

I seriously dont think I have ever been more pissed off in my entire life, I know them personally and know these fuckers dont even know what a neve preamp is or does!  

i realize this is an engineering forum and we are all striving for sonic nirvana, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter. only good songs do.

do you like louie louie? cuz i do.

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2011, 05:27:02 AM »

I respect and understand your opinion- but no.  Like JJ blair says, "this shit is a science"!!!!

cheers

el duderino wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 21:50

I seriously dont think I have ever been more pissed off in my entire life, I know them personally and know these fuckers dont even know what a neve preamp is or does!  

i realize this is an engineering forum and we are all striving for sonic nirvana, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter. only good songs do.

MagnetoSound

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2011, 06:50:21 AM »

Bubba Kron wrote on Sat, 08 January 2011 00:48

Sh*t! Twenty grand a night?? That sounds like one of Ross Geller's college tunes!

Cir-cu-lar time ... time ... time ...

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

Edward Vinatea

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2011, 07:07:51 AM »

Bubba Kron wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 19:48

How does music like that, posted in less than a year, get over two and a half million views?

Is there some kind of a program one pays to YouTube for views? Is this the result of that?

Edward

Fletcher

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2011, 10:43:34 AM »

Silvertone wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 08:19

In talking with the A&R guy who signed Sean it seems that the Anti label has a pretty good model for the independent artist. They pretty much give the artist the right to put out whatever they want... however, you as the artist pay for all production cost and if they like what you do, then it goes out.

That's called a "press and distribute" deal... where a traditional "record deal" includes not only a production advance, but promotion of the product.  P&D's are fine if you have / can build an audience... if you can't then there is no reason to give up the 40-50% of resale money and do "self distribution" off iTunes, Napster, Rapsody, Amazon, etc.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

mgod

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2011, 12:05:51 PM »

That's a dubious assertion in itself.

But if by science you and he mean the study of advertising, marketing and the manipulation of popular perception, sure, why not?

Bubba Kron wrote on Sat, 08 January 2011 02:27

I respect and understand your opinion- but no.  Like JJ blair says, "this shit is a science"!!!!

cheers

"There IS no Coolometer." - Larry Janus

el duderino

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2011, 03:29:47 AM »

Bubba Kron wrote on Sat, 08 January 2011 05:27

cheers

as much as i respect j.j. and that quote, i can honestly say i've NEVER bought an album solely because it sounds good. its the songs.

we can all consider certain music "crap", but if you have  the numbers behind you it doesn't matter. ever. if you don't judge sales as a measure of success we're all fucked.

mgod

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2011, 11:22:19 AM »

There goes John Lennon's solo career.
"There IS no Coolometer." - Larry Janus

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2011, 02:30:23 PM »

So your saying a Mcdonalds Cheeseburger is wayyy better than a Rib Eye because of sales numbers?   Which choice of those two are healthier?   One requires huge signs with big Graphics and Marketing Brain washing tactics since our most vulnerable young ages, the latter has been holding it down for thousands of years with no hype necissary.

I do realize that techno DJ's get big live payments because they are providing a service for a Massive dance party, but that does not mean those people would not choose that stuff if they REALLY had a choice!!!   I guess postering dictates what gets out there more than quality of music, but I'm sure its always been that way to some degree- but not the extremes of today!!!!!!!

el duderino wrote on Sun, 09 January 2011 00:29

Bubba Kron wrote on Sat, 08 January 2011 05:27

cheers

as much as i respect j.j. and that quote, i can honestly say i've NEVER bought an album solely because it sounds good. its the songs.

we can all consider certain music "crap", but if you have  the numbers behind you it doesn't matter. ever. if you don't judge sales as a measure of success we're all fucked.

wwittman

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2011, 11:36:34 PM »

mgod wrote on Sun, 09 January 2011 11:22

There goes John Lennon's solo career.

I"d suspect most of or all of John's solo records sold at least in the hundeds of thousands
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

el duderino

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2011, 02:06:16 AM »

Bubba Kron wrote on Sun, 09 January 2011 14:30

So your saying a Mcdonalds Cheeseburger is wayyy better than a Rib Eye because of sales numbers?   Which choice of those two are healthier?   One requires huge signs with big Graphics and Marketing Brain washing tactics since our most vulnerable young ages, the latter has been holding it down for thousands of years with no hype necissary.

I do realize that techno DJ's get big live payments because they are providing a service for a Massive dance party, but that does not mean those people would not choose that stuff if they REALLY had a choice!!!

no, im talking about sales numbers being used as a measure of success. that doesn't mean its better, it means it's successful because a large number of people like it.

you think you'd find rib eye's in every grocery if total rib eye sales in the usa were 1,000 for the year? I don't.

the people paying money for a ticket to a massive dance party couldn't have chosen to not go? that sounds like a choice to me.

we're all free to like or dislike whatever music or food we want to, but that doesn't change measurements of success.

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2011, 02:28:59 AM »

4/5 of those people would still be at those raves even if they had never heard of the top act!!   You also have to realize that these guys played "other" peoples music out of Pioneer cdj's for 10 years growing their popularity before doing their own stuff.

You do make a good point that if it sucks so bad, then why I dont I just out do him- I cant argue there and I'm gonna give my best shot( not that our styles are any way similar).    

TO ALL THE PEOPLE SAYING THERE IS STILL GOOD MUSIC TODAY, SHOW ME JUST 1 ACT ARTISTICALLY ON PAR WITH FLOYD/ZEP/MARLEY/DOORS/STAN GUETZ ETC ETC............

I bet you cant name one post 1998!!!  why?  cause people use music to sell other shit now.  And if they had organic rib eyes in drive thrus for 2.99, people would never touch a 99 cent cheeseburger again.  But theres the catch, in music it all cost the same price to the consumer and is readily available at all times!

I seriously think 2012 is about shutting down such crazy exploitive things, i hope aliens are coming to help(not kill us- but whatever)-but thats a whole different thread.

Like that guy who made the movie about Mcdonalds, that food is designed by scientists to give you massive cravings and change your system into wanting it more/again!!   That Justin Bieber shit will stick in your head for 2 weeks, god knows what/how they are doing that- but I would not be surprised if subliminal messaging was used in some way.   A parent can not compete with that influence with just simple words!!!!

These days its about making money at any cost, and these rich bastards go home and are not even happy after causing such mental/physical destruction anyways, end up having their kids hate them and take prozac!!  Yay, welcome to the Matrix!!!!!

Cheers

el duderino wrote on Sun, 09 January 2011 23:06

Bubba Kron wrote on Sun, 09 January 2011 14:30

I do realize that techno DJ's get big live payments because they are providing a service for a Massive dance party, but that does not mean those people would not choose that stuff if they REALLY had a choice!!!

no, im talking about sales numbers being used as a measure of success. that doesn't mean its better, it means it's successful because a large number of people like it.

you think you'd find rib eye's in every grocery if total rib eye sales in the usa were 1,000 for the year? I don't.

the people paying money for a ticket to a massive dance party couldn't have chosen to not go? that sounds like a choice to me.

we're all free to like or dislike whatever music or food we want to, but that doesn't change measurements of success.

jrmintz

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2011, 10:00:43 AM »

Bubba Kron wrote on Mon, 10 January 2011 02:28

TO ALL THE PEOPLE SAYING THERE IS STILL GOOD MUSIC TODAY, SHOW ME JUST 1 ACT ARTISTICALLY ON PAR WITH FLOYD/ZEP/MARLEY/DOORS/STAN GUETZ ETC ETC............

Isn't that a little like saying there'll never be a car as good as my '68 VW or my '57 Chevy? True or not, the world has moved on. There's a vibrant young jazz scene in New York, and great new artists everywhere. But, like organic food, you can't look for it in mainstream outlets.

Good and successful have never meant the same thing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.