R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: reducing information  (Read 4388 times)

breathe

reducing information
« on: January 04, 2011, 09:31:27 PM »

It seems like capturing music is as much about capturing what you want as it is about not capturing what you don't want.  On my most recent project we record a series of tracks of knee slapping, and the only mic that worked was a Coles 4040.  It gave us just the information we wanted.

Nicholas

Bubba#$%Kron

Re: reducing information
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 09:35:19 PM »

I love those. I have a matched pair!! Its the only mic you can really hit a guitar as hard as you want and it still sounds good!!!
"When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. If that were the purpose of music then obviously the fastest players would be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are not aiming to arrive at a particular place on the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we play music the playing itself is the point."  -Alan Watts

Fletcher

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 11:25:59 PM »

breathe wrote on Tue, 04 January 2011 21:31

It seems like capturing music is as much about capturing what you want as it is about not capturing what you don't want.

Jim Dickinson had a quote [which I'll paraphrase] - "I turn the good parts up, and the bad parts down"... sums up what we do in a nice neat little sentence...
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 11:39:23 AM »

breathe wrote on Tue, 04 January 2011 18:31

It seems like capturing music is as much about capturing what you want as it is about not capturing what you don't want.  On my most recent project we record a series of tracks of knee slapping, and the only mic that worked was a Coles 4040.  It gave us just the information we wanted.

Nicholas

Hi Nicholas,

Wow, your last two posts are... so unlike you.

I welcome the change. I only hope it is not a short lived New Years' resolution.

I do hope your 2011 is wonderful.

Cheers
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

Geoff Emerick de Fake

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 11:44:43 AM »

Fletcher wrote on Tue, 04 January 2011 22:25

It seems like capturing music is as much about capturing what you want as it is about not capturing what you don't want.

Jim Dickinson had a quote [which I'll paraphrase] - "I turn the good parts up, and the bad parts down"... sums up what we do in a nice neat little sentence...

However, some disagree...recently had a discussion where a very purist insisted that a good recording is about capturing all, string squeals, lip noise, hammer thumps...included.

CWHumphrey

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 03:22:55 PM »

Geoff Emerick de Fake wrote on Wed, 05 January 2011 08:44

However, some disagree...recently had a discussion where a very purist insisted that a good recording is about capturing all, string squeals, lip noise, hammer thumps...included.

That would depend on what you decide is "bad".

Cheers,
Carter William Humphrey

"Indeed...oh three named one!" -Terry Manning
"Or you can just have Carter do the recording, because he's Humphrey."-J.J. Blair

Tom L

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 04:37:28 PM »

CWHumphrey wrote on Wed, 05 January 2011 11:22

Geoff Emerick de Fake wrote on Wed, 05 January 2011 08:44

That would depend on what you decide is "bad".

Cheers,

I would argue if it sounds natural=good; if it distracts from the intended content=bad
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 19 queries.