R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the easiest way to set up a RAID w/2 Firewire hard drives?  (Read 4394 times)

breathe

I am super lame when it comes to backing up data.  The only way I know how to do it is to copy a project to a second (or third) hard drive?  I forget the version of RAID where it just writes to two disks at once but what's the easiest way to do that with a pair of same model firewire hard drives?

Best,
Nicholas

cgc

Re: What's the easiest way to set up a RAID w/2 Firewire hard drives?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 11:19:16 AM »

RAID is not a backup scheme so do not rely on it to be one.  Just set up TimeMachine or Carbon Copy Cloner to run a backup every night to the drives.

marcel

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 12:02:28 PM »

Best, Marcel

itsapleasure

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 09:48:55 AM »

I use superduper to backup my working drives to this: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Raidon/SR2WBS2/

Andy Peters

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 01:55:10 PM »

breathe wrote on Tue, 04 January 2011 09:07

I am super lame when it comes to backing up data.  The only way I know how to do it is to copy a project to a second (or third) hard drive?  I forget the version of RAID where it just writes to two disks at once but what's the easiest way to do that with a pair of same model firewire hard drives?

RAID is not a backup scheme.

You can set up a "software" RAID on Mac OS X using two same-sized drives (can be FireWire, USB, internal, whatever). I had this setup once. The problem is that if your machine glitches for whatever reason, the RAID set needs rebuilding and it's a pain, especially if you boot from the RAID.

So you want hardware RAID. I have a Drobo. It works as advertised.

And you still need a backup system. Time Machine is great for the OS and applications and general-type files (word processing, mail, whatever) but for backing up audio projects, you should spring for another dedicated drive and copy stuff over manually.

-a
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Fibes

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 12:12:34 PM »

OWC guardian drives.

The data still needs to be in 2 other locations IMO.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Spindrift

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 01:43:59 PM »

The Netgear ReadyNAS Pro is a fantastic device too. 6 spindles RAID 5 and 2 gigabit ethernet connections. I've got 7TB of cheap disk in mine and it is fast and runs rock solid.  But then begs the question, how do you back up 7 TB?   Very Happy

cgc

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 02:11:22 PM »

Spindrift wrote on Wed, 12 January 2011 12:43

The Netgear ReadyNAS Pro is a fantastic device too. 6 spindles RAID 5 and 2 gigabit ethernet connections. I've got 7TB of cheap disk in mine and it is fast and runs rock solid.  But then begs the question, how do you back up 7 TB?   Very Happy

You have to get another one of those devices.

Spindrift

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 02:48:14 PM »

Ahhh, a beautiful business model ......

0dbfs

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 04:26:25 PM »

I use three dedicated FW drives to back up our internal audio drive using psync on our OSX pro-tools machine. It can be run on a schedule or manually when you like. It will write new files to the destination drive(s) without removing files deleted from the source drive. I will then take one of the backups home on a regular basis for an off-site backup. As the internal drive fills up I will clean off the oldest sessions first. As the backup/external FW's fill up I move one of them to a shelf as a long term local shelf-archives, and bring one home for the same purpose except off-site. Replace the FW's with new ones once I have a full onsite/offsite archive.

I use clonezilla and a dedicated raid fileserver to image DAWs and other machines to a linux fileserver here on our LAN. Boot from the clonezilla CD and it allows you to capture/restore HDD images to the network. I have used this fairly extensively to image and restore various machines. Beats reinstalling everything and all the SW involved is open-source so no licensing issues and I was able to DL, install, and configure everything I needed fairly quickly. My file server is dedicated for storing machine images (plus some other "facility documentation") and is raid-1. At some point I will make another raid-1 file-server machine which automatically mirrors the primary using rsync or something like that.

Best,
j
Jonathan Burtner
Music is Everything!
Audio is Everything Else!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 16 queries.