R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Neve 8128 questions....  (Read 3243 times)

Dusk Bennett

Neve 8128 questions....
« on: December 30, 2010, 06:33:38 PM »

I'm soliciting a consensus here. I just helped a client move their studio a few months back and one of the items we moved was a large 40ch+ 8128. I was unable to get to connecting the board at the time and the client wasn't in a rush so I moved on.

The client called last week and asked for me to investigate re-connecting at least the PSU's so he could use a few of the pre's on the board. One of the problems we ran into on-site was that the PSU cabling was too short (about 10').

I spent a few minutes yesterday looking the cable over and it doesn't appear to be very different than stranded 18AWG AC cable, just different colored jackets. I originally suggested going to Home Depot and getting a spool of Carol Cable 3 wire AC and just use that. A following discussion with two other guys in the know led me to believe that this may not be a good choice since, -not all cable is equal-. Neither of them could give me a reason why though, they just said to check my math before doing anything.

Soooo.....any comments on what sort of 3 wire power I can use with this board? Twisted, straight, thicker, thinner, etc, etc, etc?
Dusk
----
Dusk Bennett
Artist Development/Production
Audio Engineering
Los Angeles CA
www.duskbennett.com

Dominick

Re: Neve 8128 questions....
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 08:53:11 PM »

Any good quality cable of sufficient gauge will do.
Claims beyond that are BS.

18 ga. seems way thin for my recollection of 8128's I've dealt with.
SJ 10/3 should be just fine for any length up to 20 meters.

Dominick Costanzo

Dusk Bennett

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 08:57:45 PM »

That's what I thought, on the AWG as well. I was ready to spec at least 16 AWG because my gut led me there...but after asking around I got nervous.
----
Dusk Bennett
Artist Development/Production
Audio Engineering
Los Angeles CA
www.duskbennett.com

ssltech

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 09:22:59 PM »

Make sure the gauge is thick enough to handle the current... and that the insulation is thick enough to handle the voltage... and you're good to go.  Stranded will be easier to bend... but less vital for installations. Litz effect won't be an issue here since this is basically DC.

Thicker the better. Shorter the better.

Keith

MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 17 queries.