R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Geotagging: Something to be careful with  (Read 18467 times)

Electric Warrior

Re: Geotagging: Something to be careful with
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 03:03:12 PM »

me neither. how did you get it to display the coordinates?

ktownson

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 03:53:56 PM »

Right click on the map--slide down to What's Here and click, and the coordinates pop up in the Google Maps search field
"World Boogie is coming." James Luther Dickinson

Electric Warrior

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 04:17:40 PM »

doesn't work for me. might be different in the german version  Confused

I finally found my mistake. Longitude was a negative value and I used a positive one. d'oh!  Embarassed

ktownson

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 05:30:39 PM »

index.php/fa/16110/0/

YZ

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 06:39:28 PM »

Fibes wrote on Tue, 04 January 2011 16:44

I have IrFan View with all the plug ins and can't figure out how to extract gps locations from my geotagged photos.

I guess i'm just not savvy enough.

PM sent with instructions and example.
regards,

YZ

Electric Warrior

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 10:49:59 AM »

ktownson wrote on Tue, 04 January 2011 21:53

Right click on the map--slide down to What's Here and click, and the coordinates pop up in the Google Maps search field

ah, found it. you have to click onto to marker. thanks a lot! might come in handy one day..

ktownson

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 02:41:35 PM »

Actually, I can click anywhere on the map and get the coordinates. I am using a Windows machine with a two-button mouse.

Tidewater

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 09:29:29 PM »

R  

O

F

L
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

Fenris Wulf

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 01:33:20 AM »

Tidewater wrote on Thu, 06 January 2011 02:29

R  

O

F

L

I'm not laughing. Nothing is more infuriating than software that does things you DIDN'T ASK IT TO DO, especially when it violates your privacy in the process.

We need a new holiday. "Punch a Programmer in the Face Day." Just on general principles.
RESIST THE CYBERNETIC OVERLORDS
KDVS Studio A

MagnetoSound

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 07:01:04 AM »

You think this is down to the programmers, really?

Come on, think about it. This is covert tracking. Who would do that?

I'm glad I'm not paranoid.  Wink

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2011, 09:22:52 AM »

MagnetoSound wrote on Sat, 08 January 2011 12:01

You think this is down to the programmers, really?

Come on, think about it. This is covert tracking. Who would do that?

I'm glad I'm not paranoid.  Wink

It's not covert, since it's not hidden, it's just the result of various things interacting into something that people either didn't think about, or thought was somebody else's responsibility (the photo owners)

!) Camera Manufacturer - Geotagging is a useful feature for photos for a lot of people, GPS is now ubiquitous and cheap, cool we'll add it as a feature to our camera to sell more.

2) Photo Website - We let people upload their photos so they can show them to other people, we just do a simple upload and download of everything including metadata because that's the easiest thing to do, if the user wants to change or remove metadata, that's their job before uploading

3) Google maps - we provide a facility where people can put in coordinates and get a place on the map

All three perfectly reasonable and innocent things, which unfortunately can add up to a bad combination if you add in a nefarious human being, as pointed out in the original post.

The solution is simple enough, make a fuss and get the photo websites (and photo software) to make the information visible (to the uploader) and filterable. It's not a particularly difficult task for them, so a bit of public pressure should probably do it.

MagnetoSound

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 07:13:00 AM »

Jon, it's probably just my suspicious mind, but the fact that this is set to default to 'ON', and that you have to dig around to even know about it, puts my teeth on edge.

Isn't carrying one of these around, without even thinking about the fact that GPS is active, just a small step away from personal tagging?

I was brought up to question things like this, particularly when there is not much mention made of it at the time of introduction.

I'm sure it is all perfectly benign, for now at least.

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 07:42:24 AM »

MagnetoSound wrote on Sun, 09 January 2011 12:13

Jon, it's probably just my suspicious mind, but the fact that this is set to default to 'ON', and that you have to dig around to even know about it, puts my teeth on edge.

And if the manufacturer's defaulted it to "off", then they'd get a flood of complaints about how someone bought their camera because it had geotagging but they'd taken a whole holiday's worth of snaps without tags because it wasn't switched on.

If you've ever had to develop, sell or support products you'll know that as a group, users are really stupid. Individually they might be Nobel prize winning scientists, but put enough of them together and they will make every stupid mistake under the sun, and every mistake will cost you a disproportionate amount of time (and money), so you try to choose the route where the thickest laziest person will have the least hassle possible.

It is your suspicious mind, at least in this case, nobody's going round to the manufacturers and twisting their arms to set the default to on, the manufacturer just has two options and they'll go with the one which makes the most customers happy. When they introduced the feature, that was definitely setting it to "ON", if enough people now get upset and the public and customer relations guys decide it's a better bet, it'll be set to "OFF", end of story.

Not every negative thing that happens is the result of some nefarious master plan.

I'm not dismissing the issue, the OPs point is valid and important, but although it may be more fun to rant about it and blame people it is probably more productive to recognize the issue for what it is, and the solution, and do something about it.

Geotagging on photos is here to stay I would say, but all it needs to keep it under control is for the people developing photo handing software and websites to make it visible and filterable, it's not hard, you just have to convince them that they'll lose enough customers by not having it that it's worth the time to implement it.

Bring it to their attention and some programmers might even do it on their own time because they feel it's the right thing to do, amazing as it may seem, most of them are actually quite nice people.
Quote:

I was brought up to question things like this, particularly when there is not much mention made of it at the time of introduction.

Absolutely, you should question it, but then when the answer is simple and obvious, why go trying to twist it into something more sinister?
If you look on the website listing for the camera, you'll probably see GPS or GeoTagging mentioned, if you look on the box when you buy it, you definitely will (it's there to sell more cameras). They're not trying to hide anything.
What you don't see is a warning that says "Warning, if you photograph something nice and then post the picture on the web without removing the geotag metadata then some nasty person may download the photo, find out where it was taken, and come round and nick the nice thing"... but then if you posted every such warning on every product where some combination of actions could lead to negative results, you wouldn't even have room for the logo on the box, and nobody would read them anyway.

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 08:01:07 AM »

MagnetoSound wrote on Sun, 09 January 2011 12:13

Isn't carrying one of these around, without even thinking about the fact that GPS is active, just a small step away from personal tagging?

Your phone is a far more effective way of tracking you. You can't be tracked through your camera because it doesn't transmit anything(GPS is a receive only system, it has to be combined with recording or transmission of the position data to track you), they can only track where pictures were taken if they have the pictures.

MagnetoSound

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 08:34:26 AM »

Jon Hodgson wrote on Sun, 09 January 2011 13:01

Your phone is a far more effective way of tracking you.

Yes, I thought we were talking about phones.

ktownson wrote on Thu, 30 December 2010 19:09

I've been doing a security presentation at work about phones with GPS and camera capabilities providing means to stalk the unsuspecting user. A lot of people here were totally unaware their phone is providing this info, so I thought I would pass it along.

In a nutshell, iPhones, Androids and Blackberries among others record the GPS coordinates of the phone (called "geotags) when the picture is snapped. This info is saved in the metadata of the photo.

I realise however that I don't know the full story and I certainly didn't mean to be criticising programmers for simply doing their job. I understand that sales must be driven and that end users can be difficult beasts to communicate with.  Smile

- Larry DeVivo

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 20 queries.