R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: If your doing subtractive EQing only on a 5 band parametric...  (Read 12091 times)

Barkley McKay

Re: If your doing subtractive EQing only on a 5 band parametric...
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 03:29:01 PM »

wow...

I know who I understood in that exchange!

Home stereo...I know a few very talented users of the AR-18 bookshelf speakers over here...that have had a few gold and platinum records.

Hobnob anybody?

barks

ssltech

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 04:31:04 PM »

Edward,

YOU brought all of these things up.

Not me.

-I'm rather glad that our 'debate' is ended, none the less.

Anyhow Bubba, there you go. Feel free to use whatever EQs you fancy, but -as Fletcher and I suggested, the upshot is that various different EQ types will indeed frequently produce a different sonic result, even at the same empirically observed settings.

It's an interesting subject, and one which I would have liked to research a little deeper... one day I possibly will.

Barkley, a mutual friend of ours has been known to use AR-18's in the past, right around the period when he was producing some of the most astonishing (not to mention successful and critically applauded) albums back in the early 1980's.

Another well-regarded producer these days used to always use his AR-16s (taller, deeper but about the same width) for mixing, and had me renew the drive units, also in the early 1980's. -Last I heard of him was when Terry and he were producing projects in adjacent studio rooms for a few weeks, a couple of months ago.

But as regards EQ, passive topologies will sound different to active, inductor/capacitor will sound different to capacitor/gyrator, and even within the same topology, -state variable as an example- the Amek M2500/M3000/G2520 EQ sounds dramatically different from the Neve V-series for example.

Sadly it's not really all that easy to say that one is always going to be good and another one will be bad for any given purpose... though I will say that we have a handful of CP-10's here and I typically use them on room EQ.

We've also installed a few of the Rupert-Neve-designed Summit Audio EQ's in two rooms for slight monitor response 'massaging', and people seem to enjoy those, even though it wasn't what they were designed for, and overlooking their RIGHTEOUS price tag!

The GMLs are very handy for surgical stuff on a dub stage, I know that... I hear that people do enjoy them for dialog fixing more than for musical sweetening, though I don't use them myself these days. -When I've tried them in the past, I've always noticed the noise floor a little too much to give them any serious consideration for overall EQ duties, be that program or monitor treatment.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

marcel

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 05:21:27 PM »

ssltech wrote on Wed, 29 December 2010 13:31

...I will say that we have a handful of CP-10's here and I typically use them on room EQ.

Quote:

We've also installed a few of the Rupert-Neve-designed Summit Audio EQ's in two rooms for slight monitor response 'massaging', and people seem to enjoy those, even though it wasn't what they were designed for, and overlooking their RIGHTEOUS price tag!

Quote:

The GMLs...  I've always noticed the noise floor a little too much to give them any serious consideration for overall EQ duties, be that program or monitor treatment.

Hi Keith:

Do you regularly install EQ in the monitor path when setting up a room?

Do you often see EQ in the monitor path in other rooms that you work in (or, perhaps as often as not, 'on')?

I had been led to believe that EQing monitors was somewhat 'a thing of the past'.  I certainly don't see it in the places I work, although my experience is quite limited both in quantity and in scope.

Thanks.
Best, Marcel

Barkley McKay

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 05:45:32 PM »

Yes Keith, the mutual acquaintance (and another you know of who worked as his engineer too before moving to production) are more than happy to use whatever works if it does the job...though very picky about the location they record in!Wink

I actually have a pair of AR-8s...the slightly newer ones which sound fantastic...and have the re-foam bits poised to install.

Happy Holidays!

Barks

compasspnt

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 05:46:20 PM »

I have used AR's many times, and a few other pieces of so-called "home stereo" gear.

Edward Vinatea

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 06:29:25 PM »

And why the discussion is now shifting to the Acoustic Research speakers? I realize that nobody is really interested in giving opinions on what the OP is really concerned about and this is more like a pissing contest to prove crazy Ed is way off base here.

As I warned before I was trolled in this thread, I don't believe that using one eq or another to make the monitors more accurate is important, and actually a moot point since there are too many variables that come into play before you even hear sound {e.g., the room, its size, its height and even its contents come to mind}.

Now, if some of you are making great records with "home stereo equipment" like this:

http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/po/100920/974r4/5981e4j_27.jpeg

As I said to Keith:
The more power to you.

ssltech

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 06:41:59 PM »

although...

More power might not be as useful as a more open mind.
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 20 queries.