R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Informations about Philips boston console?  (Read 4397 times)

hismastervoices

Informations about Philips boston console?
« on: December 26, 2010, 06:13:43 PM »

Hi, would you have any informations about the boston console by philips made for the deutsche grammophon?
Best regards

Fletcher

Re: Informations about Philips boston console?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 10:15:02 AM »

I see its your first post - so please let me welcome you to the forum.

I realize you're looking for information on a console - but unfortunately I have a feeling it will require more information on your end to get a possible response.

From your description, I've never heard of the thing -- not that I've heard of every piece of equipment ever made -- but I have heard [and heard of] a pretty fair bit.

On this "Boston" console - any idea around what time period it was installed?  Any idea of which facility had the unit(s)?  It may be possible to give a couple of shouts to people who may have some information for you, but I'll need a bit more information before I have an idea of to whom I should forward a link to this thread [if anyone - I may not know anyone with any information].

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Peter Weihe

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 01:47:40 PM »

Hi,

I remember to have played a session through a Philips/ Grammophon console in the Phonogram Studio, Hamburg in the early 80s.

It looked like this one  - except for the Mac display of coarse -:

index.php/fa/16086/0/

Peter

Peter Weihe

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 02:06:34 AM »

Hoe did it sound?

Peter Weihe wrote on Mon, 27 December 2010 10:47

Hi,

I remember to have played a session through a Philips/ Grammophon console in the Phonogram Studio, Hamburg in the early 80s.

It looked like this one  - except for the Mac display of coarse -:

index.php/fa/16086/0/

Peter

"When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. If that were the purpose of music then obviously the fastest players would be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are not aiming to arrive at a particular place on the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we play music the playing itself is the point."  -Alan Watts

Peter Weihe

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 05:34:18 PM »

Bubba Kron wrote on Tue, 28 December 2010 08:06

Hoe did it sound?

Sorry but I don't remember.

I just spent some hours in that studio and played a couple of basic tracks with some quick overdubs.

But that's an interesting question because when I think about it I realize that we session musicians didn't care unless it sounded really shitty or fantastic.
There where so many other aspects that were in our focus.

1. The song.
2. The artist, his feel, his voice, the performance.
3. The arrangement. All written or head-arrangements (master the difficult parts.)
4. Who were the other players.
5. Our sound in the room.
6. Our sound in the headphones. (engineer)
7. Communication. ( engineer, producer, arranger)
8. Get the feel for the song
9. Find the appropriate sound for my instrument, figure out the right part.
10. Were we able to create that vibe that the producer, the artist, the arranger
had in mind and ideally could we all together ride on that wave.
11. Have fun!
12. Mic choice and position. (engineer) Only if something sounded wrong.

There were some recording spaces that sounded great and there were some where it was harder to get a good sound.

Whenever it was a jaw dropping experience to listen back to the tracks in the control room we knew it was the engineer who created that sound.

Some of the studios with great rooms and a great engineer switched consoles over the years and the great sound stayed.
That was easy to find out when some day another engineers sat at the same desk.

I only started to be concerned about consoles in studios other than my own, when ADATs entered the scene and
all of a sudden we found ourselves recording in strange rooms with all kinds of strange equipment and wiring.
I started to carry a choice of microphones and my own mic pre amps with me just to make sure that my sounds could make it to the converters.

Peter
Peter Weihe
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.