R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are Vintech preamps any good?  (Read 7318 times)

breathe

Are Vintech preamps any good?
« on: December 23, 2010, 11:02:18 PM »

I'm looking at the Vintech 473.  Please tell me the truth before I make a bad decision.

Nicholas

jonathan jetter

Re: Are Vintech preamps any good?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 01:51:49 AM »

edit:

i wrote a whole spiel about how it really irks me that the vintech doesn't mute the mic input when you plug an instrument into the hi-z input, and how i spent a solid 10 minutes trying to figure out why i had room tone on my DI bass.

but now i see the 473 has a mic/line switch, presumably solving the problems i had with the earlier model.......i think i was using a single-channel x73 or x73i

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 06:27:09 AM »

There is nothing like a real neve!!!!   Its the same as a peluso u47 compared to a real u47, there gonna get you in the same ballpark but is not gonna have the same transient response and is gonna be sibliant in the highs.    A real neve does not have transient response issues, its those shitty transfomrers in the clones that give the "muddy" sound which gave way to the internet myths.   Its all about that vintage iron in the trannies.

I'm building a modular neve console from 7 vintage 1272's, Little labs Redclouds,  and 32 channel passive summing wiring.  Im basically doing the signal path of a 8078, but for wayyyy less money and I have input gain/output gain knobs for the make up gain instead just simple gain faders on the real console- so I can really hit the trannies the way I want on everything!!      The clones today cannot get sounds that come even close!!!
"When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. If that were the purpose of music then obviously the fastest players would be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are not aiming to arrive at a particular place on the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we play music the playing itself is the point."  -Alan Watts

Fletcher

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 08:32:58 AM »

Bubba Kron wrote on Fri, 24 December 2010 06:27

Im basically doing the signal path of a 8078

No - you're not.

It could be fine and dandy - could sound amazing - but its not even close to an 8078... at the starting point you're talking about using the wrong amplifiers [which doesn't make it a bad thing, it just means that its not going to be even close to similar to an 8078].

Sorry if I popped a whole in your balloon - like I said, it could sound wonderful, it just ain't gonna be the path from an 8078.

On the Vintech stuff - on the whole - my impression is that they fall short of the "Neeeev" goal they're trying to achieve.  Perhaps if they were marketed as their own thing it would be one thing - but to say its a "Neeeev" is [at least in my twisted reality] 2/3rds a con game.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

KB_S1

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 08:35:27 AM »

From your last buyers remorse thread:

Jim Williams wrote on Wed, 15 December 2010 16:00

Rent

Listen

Decide

Buy

Not the other way around.

<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 08:40:40 AM »

A guy can dream, Cant he?Smile

Fletcher wrote on Fri, 24 December 2010 05:32

Bubba Kron wrote on Fri, 24 December 2010 06:27

Im basically doing the signal path of a 8078

No - you're not.

It could be fine and dandy - could sound amazing - but its not even close to an 8078... at the starting point you're talking about using the wrong amplifiers [which doesn't make it a bad thing, it just means that its not going to be even close to similar to an 8078].

Sorry if I popped a whole in your balloon - like I said, it could sound wonderful, it just ain't gonna be the path from an 8078.

On the Vintech stuff - on the whole - my impression is that they fall short of the "Neeeev" goal they're trying to achieve.  Perhaps if they were marketed as their own thing it would be one thing - but to say its a "Neeeev" is [at least in my twisted reality] 2/3rds a con game.

Peace.

"When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. If that were the purpose of music then obviously the fastest players would be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are not aiming to arrive at a particular place on the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we play music the playing itself is the point."  -Alan Watts

Podgorny

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 10:16:37 AM »

Bubba Kron wrote on Fri, 24 December 2010 05:27

A real neve does not have transient response issues, its those shitty transfomrers in the clones that give the "muddy" sound which gave way to the internet myths.

Also not true IMHO. Discrete Neves DO sound slow. In or out of a console. It's the nature of the beast's slew rate. And for what it's worth, I happen to think it's a generally pleasing sound to track through.

The Vintech stuff is "neve-ish" in the same way all the other clones are, including the AMS stuff- Doesn't necessarily have the all euphonic qualities of the original, but is still a nice piece of gear in its own right.
And Vintech's customer service is top notch, which is something to consider when buying new gear.
As far as buying the 473, the EQ is a little limited, but it's  a good choice to add four nice channels of mic preamps.
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

Larry Sheehan

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 11:50:59 AM »

Nicholas, to me it seems like you're defeating the point of owning the MCI.

You've got a project going on to change it's sound by swapping opamps, presumably to improve it, yet you're amassing a set of outboard preamps.

If it were me, I'd stop all outboard purchases and bring the MCI up all the way and then make narrowly focused purchases based on what the percieved missing pieces were.

You've made and are making a substantial investment in the MCI, why not concentrate your resources on finishing the project.
Larry Sheehan - Sangabrielsound.com

wwittman

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 01:10:45 PM »

Larry Sheehan wrote on Fri, 24 December 2010 11:50

Nicholas, to me it seems like you're defeating the point of owning the MCI.

God. I know *I* would if I were you.

The "missing piece" is a desk that sounds any good
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

itsapleasure

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 12:54:59 AM »

xmas zing is in the air!

Fletcher

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2010, 11:12:05 AM »

Podgorny wrote on Fri, 24 December 2010 10:16

It's the nature of the beast's slew rate.

No - its not.  Once you pass 12mv/
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 11:47:14 AM »

I wish there was a slew rate on the amount of family drama I gotta go deal with right now!! Smile

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 02:51:17 PM »

breathe wrote on Thu, 23 December 2010 20:02

I'm looking at the Vintech 473.  Please tell me the truth before I make a bad decision.

Nicholas

In your case,

I think that there are far more important things to consider, than a mic preamplifier.

Like, SHOW US THE MUSIC ALREADY.

Cheers
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

Fletcher

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 07:16:50 PM »

Bubba Kron wrote on Sat, 25 December 2010 11:47

I wish there was a slew rate on the amount of family drama I gotta go deal with right now!! Smile

'tis the nature of the season... happy holidays!!
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 20 queries.