R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ideal bass guitar tracking rig.  (Read 11633 times)

marcel

Re: Ideal bass guitar tracking rig.
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 11:22:51 PM »

zakco wrote on Sun, 19 December 2010 22:49

I gotta say that when I A/B the 512c DI input with the Great River NV DI input, the difference is FAR from subtle

True, but I find I only notice the difference if I deliberately make the comparison.

99% of the time I don't bother, and never wish I had.
Best, Marcel

MrJoshua

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 02:30:53 PM »

I don't post on these forums very often because I don't have the experience or knowledge to feel like I have much to add, usually.  But since I'm nearing two decades of playing bass, I feel like I can add something here.

If you want a great bass track, you want a great bass player and a great bassline.  If you don't have a great bass player everything else is going to be an uphill battle.  Of course you could say that for any instrument, really.  And if the part isn't perfect for the song it won't be a perfect recording regardless of who played it or what gear was used.

After that, it all depends on the song.  There are tons of great DI methods, quality microphones and preamps, basses, bass amps, bass cabinets... the list goes on and on.  It's going to depend on what sort of music you're recording and what sort of feel you want.

There is no one "ideal" tracking rig, in other words.  Or at least, "ideal" varies from song to song.  But it sounds like what you have now should be good enough to get quality results, and if you aren't getting the results you want it probably isn't due to the recording chain.

Oh, and one last thing.  I'm sure you don't do this, but please don't "quantize" the bass line.  I've sat and watched guys slice up a part because it wasn't perfectly aligned with the kick (which they had already sliced up to match to a grid) and you lose everything that makes the part GOOD that way.  When did we decide that everything in music was supposed to be time-locked to a rigid beat?  What happened to pushing and pulling the tempo as the song required?  It sucks out all the emotion.

It's one thing to fix blatant errors (although again, if you have a decent player that should never be necessary) but don't make a robot out of it.

Anyway, my two cents.  I'll go back to reading and learning now.
Joshua Lovvorn

jrmintz

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 05:10:47 PM »

If I can take the liberty of rephrasing what MrJoshua said: If you have a good player with a good instrument playing a good song how you record it doesn't matter much, as long as you don't screw it up.

On that note, happy holidays!

wwittman

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »

Yes

But give me a good original b15 and an re20 and I can record anything and anyone with it.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2010, 09:53:07 PM »

Yeah,  B15's are great___   I think Dan's post about it all being hands is the real answer__  and it is was easier to develop the hands if you know that!  and easier to record people without them if you know that too   In both cases B15's are nifty  --  So is using whatever is laying around...

marcel

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2010, 10:09:58 PM »

seedyunderbelly.com wrote on Sat, 25 December 2010 18:53

In both cases B15's are nifty  --  So is using whatever is laying around...

Precisely why I have a B-15 'laying around' my place.
Best, Marcel

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2010, 02:52:32 PM »

Show.
Us.
The.
Music.

Cheers
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

marcel

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2010, 08:12:45 PM »

You're like the Vulcan Jerry Maguire today.
Best, Marcel
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.