R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: FabFilter Pro-L limter  (Read 7749 times)

Darius van H

FabFilter Pro-L limter
« on: December 20, 2010, 08:37:04 AM »

Just a quick heads up for anyone who didn't hear about or try the new FabFilter Pro-L limiter:

http://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro-l.php

I've been using this for a few weeks and am really impressed with the sound and tweakability of this plug. It can be pushed quite hard before getting ugly and distorted, as well as working great at more conservative settings.

Anyone else try it and have any thoughts / observations?

Macc

Re: FabFilter Pro-L limter
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 08:47:38 AM »

I think it's an excellent limiter, and I'll be buying it in the new year.

The sound is very good, and you have the ability to really tailor the sound as a part of the overall chain. Some limiters are kind of restrictive, they just do their thing, whereas with this you have a lot of options on how to set it up.

I'm in dynamic mode almost exclusively, btw. Generally I'm using longish attack times (~400-500ms), short lookahead and seeing what the release does for the material. When you need to go really really loud, you can start bringing the lookahead up and attack down to smooth things out a bit.

Sits nicely alongside Elephant, they have a fairly different sound. Elephant has a sort of.... sheen (?) to it which I like, but isn't always appropriate. This one feels more 'sterile' (for want of a better word), which isn't a bad thing in a limiter.

Anyway - it's a good 'un!
Bob Macciochi

www.scmastering.com

Waltz Mastering

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 11:47:56 AM »

As soon as my 30 day trial was up I had to send da money.

Might have been a previous thread here mentioning the Fab, but over all one of my favorite limiters.  Probably best I couldn't get the Fg-x to work for me after all.

jdg

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 12:07:05 PM »

been using the trial a bit, its deep.

got some amazing results with it a few times, and some terrible ones at other times.
john mcCaig
-Mothery Earworks Clarifold Audipure

Patrik T

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 12:37:12 PM »

My "a-new-limiter-test" is to apply a little limiting to already limited material. Saves time.

Best Regards
Patrik

TotalSonic

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 01:16:18 PM »

Definitely on my to do list for next year is to finally install the demo and try the Pro-L out - especially considering the amount of accolades for it from people whose ears I trust.  

I also like the fact that there's no "it's not a limiter" hype behind this one!  (unlike another company with a recently introduced new limiter who shall remain nameless).

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Andy Krehm

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 09:54:29 PM »

I've had it for a month and a quick glance at my recall sheets show it's being used more than 90% of the time. I've got several other other choices but it's getting to the point where I just start with the FAB limiter and then if it isn't working, try something else.

I too like the versatility in the advanced mode.

lowland

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 10:08:41 AM »

I've been giving it a go this afternoon - very good, I'll likely buy when the demo period is up at the end of January. I've been liking the Loudness Maximizer in Ozone 4 and its relative simplicity, but Pro-L has a bit more clarity/less graininess for me plus is easy to set.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
Essex, UK
www.lowlandmasters.com

subvertbeats

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 10:51:05 AM »

Yep, Ill likely be buying too Nigel.

Bob introduced me to it whilst I was over in December, and since getting home Ive been using it on almost all projects.

Good stuff for sure.

Andy Krehm

Re: FabFilter Pro-L limter-CAUTION
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 11:20:36 AM »

I'm still liking this limiter as much as when I first posted but have discovered a glitch, at least with my processing setup (Mac G5 Dual/PTs 8/RTAS).

When I recall a setting, the volume doesn't always go to where it was saved. A mouse click on or near the volume display restores it to where it was saved. This doesn't happen with any of the other saved settings.

Anyone else notice this?

hnewman

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 05:51:37 PM »

Finally demoing this now.  Like the sound, but it takes forever to render.  Anyone else encounter this?  Suggestions?  I have not spent much time optimizing Sequoia's CPU handling, but I'm guessing that would not effect the plugin engine anyhow...?

lowland

Re: FabFilter Pro-L limiter
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 10:32:24 AM »

Still liking Pro-L.

Got up the courage to use it on an actual job, a well-recorded cast album, the other day and the producer gave the limiter a big thumbs-up. Musical theatre records typically have quite a bit more dynamic range than a pop album, and what we ended up with was in the pop loudness range without sounding strained on the big sections. Obviously most of that was down to good mixes with lots of loudness potential, but I liked the way this limiter could shoot for something a little louder than I would usually go for (at the producer's request) and keep us both happy!

Incidentally, I used the 'Allround' algorithm without touching the advanced settings, 4x oversampling, max GR of around 3dB on top of normal gain-staging through the chain. I notice that on my system when you alt-drag the threshold slider (so the output is correspondingly reduced and you can hear the effect of limiting without a change in loudness) the linkage only seems to work in an upward direction: when you pull the slider down with alt still held the output doesn't go up but stays at the lowest point. I think the two should be linked in both directions, I don't imagine it would be hard to program.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
Essex, UK
www.lowlandmasters.com

Macc

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 02:47:58 PM »

hnewman wrote on Sun, 02 January 2011 22:51

Finally demoing this now.  Like the sound, but it takes forever to render.  Anyone else encounter this?  Suggestions?  I have not spent much time optimizing Sequoia's CPU handling, but I'm guessing that would not effect the plugin engine anyhow...?

It certainly takes a lot longer to render with 4x oversampling on. With oversampling off it is much faster, but with the obvious drawbacks.

I seem to be preferring either no oversampling or 4x... I don't like the 2x so much. It could be placebo but I hear something different about it...

Anyway, like the limiter a lot, though Elephant is still getting used on certain stuff that doesn't get on with Pro-L.

Smile
Bob Macciochi

www.scmastering.com

Thomas W. Bethel

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 03:00:54 PM »

I purchased it before Christmas and have been playing with it a lot but have not used it on a session as of yet. I really like it.
-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

hnewman

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 04:24:40 PM »

Macc wrote on Thu, 06 January 2011 14:47

hnewman wrote on Sun, 02 January 2011 22:51

It certainly takes a lot longer to render with 4x oversampling on. With oversampling off it is much faster, but with the obvious drawbacks.

I seem to be preferring either no oversampling or 4x... I don't like the 2x so much. It could be placebo but I hear something different about it...

Anyway, like the limiter a lot, though Elephant is still getting used on certain stuff that doesn't get on with Pro-L.

Smile

You are correct, it was the oversampling that was causing the slowdowns.  Still getting a feel for the limiter, it's interesting at the very least.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 20 queries.