R/E/P > Fletcher

What were they doing with 50's music in the US?

<< < (2/9) > >>

compasspnt:
For the most part, only the very best, most talented people were able to be in a recording studio back then, both as performers, or as facilitators.

The very best of what was recorded then is what is now played as an example of the era.

Ricky Nelson was done in LA using the best session musicians, in the best facilities. Pretty sure his final vocals were overdubbed. For one BIG thing, James Burton lived in the Nelson home, and was the guitarist (at 18 yrs old).

Ben E. King (formerly of The Drifters) was recorded in NYC, again using great session musicians in great facilities.

In both cases, virtually no "processing" was done to the sounds, just great mics (Ricky sang on a U47) through a simple desk, to the recorder.

(Couldn't open the third youtube, it is prohibited outside US).

Today, anyone who wants to can record the pile of garbage of their choice.

PaulyD:
Imagine being a musician before there was tape.

No rewinding, no redoing your part, no punching in, no overdubbing and no editing. Forget about eq and compression, let alone beat correcting and pitch correcting. If you made a major mistake, the media was wasted. Imagine being in an orchestra with that pressure.

Imagine just being a person before there was TV, stereo, home video, and video games. There was a time when having musical and live entertaining ability was a highly valued social skill. It's why you used to see stores that did nothing but sell, transport and service pianos. Lots of homes had them. That was your entertainment center.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to drift OT. But yeah, more people participating, fewer of them being chosen.

Paul

drknob:
compasspnt wrote on Mon, 20 December 2010 07:59
For the most part, only the very best, most talented people were able to be in a recording studio back then, both as performers, or as facilitators.

Amen, sir.
In the day, the process was so time and money intensive, there had to be a reasonable expectation of success. Add some technical constrictions into the process, and talent and preparation become essential ingredients.

If I buy QuarkXPress, it doesn't make me a book editor.
But if I buy Pro Tools.....

Wireline:
Quote:
If I buy QuarkXPress, it doesn't make me a book editor.
But if I buy Pro Tools.....

Quote of the day...

I think most people played a whole lot quieter back then, too, as to hear what the other guys were playing.  Don't believe there were many 100 watt amps, dual kick drum 11 tom kits played with sticks the size of broom handles, etc.  Bleed was a good thing, as most things were mono anyway

Jes saying.  

Dominick:
Headphones during tracking was a very rare thing.
Rooms were designed so the musicians could hear each other.
Leakage was a good thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version