R/E/P > Fletcher

What were they doing with 50's music in the US?

<< < (3/9) > >>

rankus:

And in the case of single mic recordings the MUSICIANS would strike the balance  

jrmintz:
PaulyD wrote on Mon, 20 December 2010 11:04
Imagine being a musician before there was tape.

No rewinding, no redoing your part, no punching in, no overdubbing and no editing. Forget about eq and compression, let alone beat correcting and pitch correcting. If you made a major mistake, the media was wasted. Imagine being in an orchestra with that pressure.

Imagine just being a person before there was TV, stereo, home video, and video games. There was a time when having musical and live entertaining ability was a highly valued social skill. It's why you used to see stores that did nothing but sell, transport and service pianos. Lots of homes had them. That was your entertainment center.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to drift OT. But yeah, more people participating, fewer of them being chosen.

Paul

The pressure made you strong or crazy. It's almost impossible to acquire those skills now because there are so few places they're required that you can't hone them. There are, however, some people still around who grew up in that era, and many who learned from those people.

Silvertone:
Tube, tube , tube... and most of the audio path was... tubes!

Ribbon mics, tube mics, tube console, cut to disc with the best musicians, writers and arrangers. Look at the team alone, except for movie scores do you ever see the producer, writer and arranger watching over the band with top engineers (yes, more than one). In highly tuned rooms with a great staff.

Now talk about a nightmare, have 30 tube mics on the floor multed together down to say 4 or 8 console in's... now one tube goes bad and your the engineer who has to figure out which mic!  Fun.

That said, the sound... the wonderful sound. Some of my favorite records came out of the 50's and early 60's.

This is what I want to try to do with that Langevin tube console of mine.  Up here we still have many musicians that cut records together,  old school guys who have been doing it for 40+ years... I'm trying to get it together before they are gone... to document some of the stuff they do... and to try and capture a bit of the sound from a bygone era.  

Jim Williams:
We were pros once.

faganking:
Adding to what Terry said above.

Upon hearing an old record and having the same thoughts as Ryan, I picked up the phone and called Al Schmitt.

Benjy: "Al. What's up with these old records? Why do they sound so damn good?"

Al: "A lot of talented people in the same room at the same time."

That's all he said.

That's all it takes.

That's almost all gone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version