R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GML 8900 alignment  (Read 4346 times)

chrisdoremus

GML 8900 alignment
« on: December 22, 2010, 01:51:28 AM »

My GML 8900 needs alignment...

I can't find any info online or in the manual about how to adjust this thing or if I even can. Before I open up this very expensive piece of gear and start poking around I would like to know if anybody else has much experience with it.

Much appreciated

Chris

Laarsø

Re: GML 8900 alignment
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 07:08:36 AM »

Dear Chris, I wonder if you are operating under warranty, still?   If so, please do not open the lid.   They will know and will no longer honor a warranty service.  

From the manual of the 2020, which I believe includes an 8900 section:

"It is highly recommended that customers do not attempt to troubleshoot their own units or have them repaired at unauthorized repair centers.  Opening the case of the unit will
break several manufacturing seals and void the GML warranty--these security measures cannot be readily detected nor easily thwarted, and should be respected wholeheartedly.  These measures also act to protect the intellectual property of GML so that we may continue to design high-end professional audio peripherals."

One time, I did open a 9500 eq to see what it looked like.  No smoke came out and it worked fine, after.   But it was well out of warranty, so I didn't care about losing that.   I'll never tell what I saw, however...  other than to say it looked so well made, but busy, with lots of parts, that I wasn't sure if it might have a little computer lurking inside, there!  (;    Not like the relative simplicity of the Sontec layout, iuam.

If you can hang on a few more hours, you can try calling GML in Nashville for advice:

Engineering and Technical Support
Nashville, TN USA
615.515.6656 PH

Good luck,
    Laars
Space Camp Mastering

laarsoglethorpe@gmail.com

"Lack of DSD post filtering fried a lot of expansive twitters." (D. L.)

chrisdoremus

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 01:11:13 PM »

I guess that's why there is no info. When somebody first suggested calling George I brushed it off but they probably meant to call the company. Thank you!

-Chris

Adrian Morgan

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 01:53:52 PM »

We recently aquired a 2030 several months ago and inquired about the same thing.  Apparently, according to Jeff Warren at GML it can only be correctly calibrated with a good Audio Precision or Neutrik meter, and there are only 4 or 5 guys total that actually know the calibration process as it is a bit tricky.  It's likely that applies to the 8900 as well, but could be wrong!
Adrian Morgan
Timeless Mastering
http://timelessmastering.com

chrisdoremus

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 02:09:57 PM »

Tis better to have inconvenienced customers than to have them fuck up their units...I guess.

Dominick

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 10:21:49 AM »

Jeff at GML has always turned our units around promptly, at a fair price with reports what was done and why. Couldn't ask for better service.
Dominick Costanzo

chrisdoremus

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 01:12:52 PM »

Yes, Jeff was very nice and gave me a thorough explanation about my unit. I don't believe I'll be sending it in because of the insignificance of the offset but I do have confidence in the GML tech service.

-Chris

maarvold

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 08:12:38 PM »

I own a GML 8900 Mk III (I think is the model).  Jeff cal'ed it around 3-4 years ago and it is just now drifting a bit.  Regardless of whether or not you get it calibrated, one thing you should ask him about, if you haven't already, is if you have electrolytic capacitors that need replacement.  There was an era (which included my unit) where they were using a type of electrolytic caps that begin to leak as the unit ages--I think they can tell by the serial number.  If you catch it early it's no big deal, but the electrolyte can damage the circuit boards/electronics if the process goes on too long.  FWIW, when I got it back they had cleaned up the small amount of leakage and replaced the caps with tantalums and I then realized there was a subtle 'fuzziness' I had been hearing that was now gone.  I'm VERY happy with the work they did and the sonics of that unit, although I don't generally use mine in a mastering context.  
One last thing: some units, like mine, were built Pin 3 = High.  When I realized it I had it changed to Pin 2.  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

Peter Simonsen

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 11:57:17 AM »

Yes Call Jeff or George..(Although George is in Canada at this time) Soo It´ll be Jeff you most likely get on the phone.

Send in the GML 8900. Its true you´ll need at least a AP series II and know the actural programming of the AP to calibrate the GML 8900 DRC. Its tricky busyness as the GML DRC is more or less a computer Smile. Not the audio signal path it self...as this is "rather simple", but the control...wow..anothter storie Smile.

Kind regards

/Peter
http://www.psl-design.dk

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.>>Søren kirkegaard>
>>Its not a dream Peter is real<<
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 20 queries.