R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: patchbay labeling methods  (Read 24209 times)

MI

Re: patchbay labeling methods
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 03:52:13 PM »

ssltech wrote on Sun, 19 December 2010 16:46

From this room:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/SSLtech/111-1158_IMG.jpg

Cotton or Kleenex stuffed in the Dynaudio's Bass Port?

MI

pete andrews

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 03:59:33 PM »

...or in stark contrast to keith's work:
index.php/fa/16043/0/

-pete

ssltech

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 05:06:01 PM »

MI wrote on Mon, 20 December 2010 15:52

Cotton or Kleenex stuffed in the Dynaudio's Bass Port?

MI

Acoustic wadding.

Not my idea, but the fellow who owns the Dynaudios likes what it does. -I've never bothered to listen to see if it's worthwhile or not... I'm not overly fond of the HF character of the active Dynaudios.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

OOF!

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 06:42:08 PM »

Keith- that is the most beautiful work i've ever seen.  What's you're house like?  I'll bet it's a mess!  Seriously man, nice work. The guys who work at that studio sleep well at night.

Pete-- thanks for the hilarity.  I'm with you.
David

marcel

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 12:06:02 AM »

ssltech wrote on Mon, 20 December 2010 11:48

Film dubbing stage machine room.

So in such a facility, patching is done in the machine room?  I'll hazard a guess that the patching there is initial setup/routing stuff, not the 'which compressor am I going to use on the vocal' routine that I associate with a PB?

Thanks.
Best, Marcel

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 01:38:01 AM »

Wow!!!!  Nice work!!  Now I dont feel so bad about all the wiring I have to do!!!!  I hate the fact that in the real world I feel like an intelligent adult, then I come on this forum for a few a minutes and I suddenly feel like a 3 yr old who does'nt know shit:)!!!

ssltech wrote on Sun, 19 December 2010 13:46

From this room:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/SSLtech/111-1158_IMG.jpg

This patchbay:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/SSLtech/111-1140_IMG.jpg

Printed with Excel.

-Wired thus:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/SSLtech/Patchrear1.jpg

Here's another:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/SSLtech/Patchbay_02.jpg

..Up close:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/SSLtech/Patchbay_01.jpg

From this room:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/SSLtech/MachineRm.jpg

More info:
http://www.prodigy-pro.com/diy/index.php?topic=18481

"When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. If that were the purpose of music then obviously the fastest players would be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are not aiming to arrive at a particular place on the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we play music the playing itself is the point."  -Alan Watts

Dominick

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 02:43:23 AM »

marcel wrote on Tue, 21 December 2010 00:06

ssltech wrote on Mon, 20 December 2010 11:48

Film dubbing stage machine room.

So in such a facility, patching is done in the machine room?  I'll hazard a guess that the patching there is initial setup/routing stuff, not the 'which compressor am I going to use on the vocal' routine that I associate with a PB?

Thanks.

Correct.
Patchbays in both the control room & machine room
Machine room bay handles sends/returns of the console to/from recorders & tie lines to other rooms.
Control room patchbay handles extrernal processors (compresseors, eqs etc.)
Dominick Costanzo

ssltech

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 08:21:54 AM »

Spot on.

Basically since the early days, the way that you 'hang' a session (which machines appear on which channels) is an enormous routing job; historically handled by the same fellow who was employed to shift film and mag stock on sprockets. ('Hanging' a dub is analogous to setting up the I/O routing in Pro-Tools, or plugging up a WALL of synchronized analog multitracks in music mixing)

There are tielines to the control room patchbay, and some local stuff is available there, most specifically for being able to insert rental/'sudden inspiration' gear... although in this particular system, everything is normalled to converters which then feed a digital router. -Patching is pretty limited, although the ABILITY to connect pretty much anything to anything else is important... and the opportunity for a FAST work-around to problems is VITAL.

-The Machine room operators whom I've seen in London were all the best-read and most up-to-date fellas, because they spent most of the day after the initial setup reading the newspaper, waiting for the intercom to crackle into life...

-The intercom setup in that facility is pretty awesome, if I do say so myself. -The console has talkback mics at each of the three mix positions (Music, dialog, FX) and three meterbridge speakers; one at each position. Each person has a talkback button to the machine room and another one to the projection booth. -Talkback comes from amplified speakers integrated unobtrusively into the ceiling. Scattered around the machine room racks are talkback 'return' points, with a gooseneck mic and push-to-talk buttons for each of the mix positions. -The last person to call that room is indicated by a flashing LED in the button (which remains flashing after they release their button), so you know WHICH one of them was talking to you... even if you're not familiar with the voices. -When replying, the machine room operator can (from ANY location) see who spoke last, and reply to THAT person alone (via the meterbridge speaker) or to all three. -In addition, there's also a rack-mounted assignable trilogy talkback panel behind them, right above the patchbay in the control room rack. -more 'private' conversations can be handled over a headset if needed...

There's also a 'batphone' for conversations which HAVE to have a certain amount of privacy... like "Don't tell the producer that someone just scratched his Maserati... Keep him occupied and distracted, the guy from the body shop is heading over here RIGHT AWAY and will have the invisible repair completed in about 90 minutes.... If the producer can't be prevented from going into the car park, you HAVE to give me 45 seconds warning, so I can start running!" -or stuff like that.

Keef

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

0dbfs

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 03:53:45 PM »

ssltech wrote on Tue, 21 December 2010 08:21

There's also a 'batphone' for conversations which HAVE to have a certain amount of privacy... like "Don't tell the producer that someone just scratched his Maserati... Keep him occupied and distracted, the guy from the body shop is heading over here RIGHT AWAY and will have the invisible repair completed in about 90 minutes.... If the producer can't be prevented from going into the car park, you HAVE to give me 45 seconds warning, so I can start running!" -or stuff like that.

Keef

Nice!

Does that repair come out of petty cash or is the body shop on speed-dial with 90-day-terms?

Best,
j
Jonathan Burtner
Music is Everything!
Audio is Everything Else!

marcel

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 04:47:03 PM »

Wow, free education!  Thanks, Keith.

I've always been somewhat in awe of film audio production, mostly because of the sheer size and complexity of a film mix.  Especially stunning to me is the thought that this huge task was, at one point in history, undertaken by hand (sans automation), from synchronized tape  machines and film projector.  Coming from the music world, this just blows my mind.
Best, Marcel

J.J. Blair

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2010, 05:59:17 PM »

I'm using 104 point bays, and there's no template for those.  What I did was take a pic, put it in photoshop, and create the labels over the photo.  You have to measure the sizes so that you can set the print size properly.  I just had to relabel the top row a couple weeks ago.  I use different color shades to make it easy to separate stuff.

index.php/fa/16057/0/
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

ssltech

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2010, 07:10:30 PM »

JJ, that's EASY to do in Excel.

The added advantage is that Excel can do twin-line (e.g. 'upper and lower level') work very well, as both you and I both seem to like to do that. -It can also 'merge' cells and auto-center or left-justify or whatever, for the upper lines. -Plus it can color the cells for you, and make the boundaries super-crisp and auto-aligned.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/SSLtech/Patchbay_01.jpg

Also, you can see how you have the option to have black lines (of a user-selectable weight) defining color boundaries, or just color boundaries. -Examples of both are visible in the above example.

-If you would like me to make you a template in Excel and email it to you, all I'd need is to know the distance (in whatever units you care to throw at me) from the CENTER of the first equally-spaced-hole to the CENTER of the last equally-spaced-hole, and how many holes that represents. (e.g. 26 holes, if there's a space in the middle, or 52 holes if there's no gap).

Now we know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall.

-Oh, also, what's the HEIGHT of the strip (in any given unit: mm/inches etc.)

Excel works better than ANY of the other things, because you can custom-blend and merge cells on a completely flexible basis.

Keith

thedoc

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2010, 11:35:36 PM »

I'm still stuck back at jamming the Langevins into a 900 rack...
Doc

plughead

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2011, 02:32:26 PM »

Just getting an XLR/Dsub & TT/Dsub PB together for my place - good to look at the various setups here. I'm still trying to best configure my needs here, but holy smoke - nice work gents - esp. Keith - that's a bay to marvel at!
N. Jay Burr
PlugHead Productions

ssltech

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2011, 02:51:37 PM »

Thanks...

Considering your avatar, that's a high compliment!

A few months ago, I created and wired up a patchbay for one of those new Malcolm Toft consoles; I think it was a 5x96-point TT patchbay.

I did all the prep work up here but forgot to print the labels out. -When I got down there I simply had my wife email me the excel files and was able to color-print them out down there.

Of course, the pre-looming  was all done before I drove it down there (in a hatchback, along with a large flightcased rack of outboard) and so it was pretty much all a question of unload from the car, plug it in, loom it off (and dress the cable with cable ties) then test and sign off.

I have a method for wiring it neatly as well... it's really just a question of patience and attention to detail. Once you are familiar with the method for doing it neatly, it just takes time and patience.

Keith

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.