R/E/P > Acoustics in Motion

Cant hear the bottom

<< < (2/4) > >>

blastula:
Here's a crude drawing of my room...
(Hope the upload shows up)
The ceiling is 8'hi.
The back wall has a 5'x5' double glass window that is always covered by a rice paper curtain...the wall space on the sides of the window is mostly covered with some kinda soundboard, covered with fabric. all the walls behind the speakers are covered similarly.

Geoff Emerick de Fake:
Is there enough bass when you stand in the back of the room?
And just a silly question: are you sure your speakers are in-phase?

KB_S1:
That is a pretty decent sized room.
What is the wall construction/materials?

blastula:
the speakers are in phase

the walls are woodframe and drywall...the back wall is double framed, insulation inside, sheetrock and soundboard on top. the walls behind the speakers are single framed with a few layers of soundboard..cloth fabric covers most of the front and back walls...

the perception of bottom doesnt change much in the back of the room, a teeny bit maybe...and the thing is: it's not that i don't hear bottom. it's just that it always sounds okay, i can never hear when there's too much. i think the room is maybe very discriminating in which frequencies it eats. i think it likes around 90hz. thats the one that usually gets the mastering engineers rolling in the aisles....

Geoff Emerick de Fake:
Yes, it looks very much like one of the walls is absorbing too much. Basically, all your walls are bass absorbers.
It's not very easy to determine which one, but an RTA would help. Moving the microphone till yoy see asignificant notch in the response. Once you've found it, you must change its resonant parameters. You can rigidify it, dampen it or make it more reflective. The absence of bass build-up at the back of the room seems to point at the back wall.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version