R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: WUMP 22 Comments Thread  (Read 20401 times)

domc

Re: WUMP 22 Comments Thread
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2011, 06:50:16 AM »

caught up with floods - sorry for my delay in techniques
Domc

Mastering Engineer
Dominic McGlinn B.Mus.T. (Hons)

Margate, QLD
+61421961641

www.domc.com.au
dom@domc.com.au

aivoryuk

« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2011, 01:31:08 PM »

gertvanhoof wrote on Fri, 14 January 2011 19:19

MoreSpaceEcho wrote on Fri, 14 January 2011 20:01

it makes me think that, as much as we ME's are always crying "it's the clients!" in discussions about the loudness war, a lot of ME's tend to default to making stuff a good bit louder than it needs to be, and this is not helping things AT ALL. (…) but it is something i'd like to talk about with you guys, so in the hopes of sparking a gentlemanly conversation amongst colleagues...

Fair point and thank you for putting things into perspective. Maybe, after years of being conditioned to louden things up, we've come to the point that our own perception of loudness is being biased/skewed severely by what we consider to be today's clients' expectations? I'm not too proud at all about my own entry in this respect. On the other hand, looking back on last year's output, excessive level isn't my "default setting" by any means. That said, the ability to nail down a track to its "natural" level without the context of an album appears to me as an important skill for today's and tomorrow's mastering engineers.

Best regards,

I would have to agree to that and would agree that my own master was on the loud side as well.
That is a surprise as in the WUMPs my masters are usually more conservative than others

ggidluck

« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2011, 02:17:15 PM »

Dominic,
Brisbane has been in the news here. Is there any flooding that affected your studio?
Gordon Gidluck
http://live2496.com

domc

« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2011, 03:53:22 PM »

I have been very fortunate and my house and my studio were not affected...but there is not a single person here that doesn't know someone affected by it.  I have been waste deep in mud for three days helping people that lost everything.  Its been a tough time - with many studios going under....but I don't want this to take over the wump 22 thread.
Domc

Mastering Engineer
Dominic McGlinn B.Mus.T. (Hons)

Margate, QLD
+61421961641

www.domc.com.au
dom@domc.com.au

Patrik T

« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2011, 07:59:47 AM »

I would like to suggest a very basic and simple WUMP rule:

If someone participates, uploads a master, get it reviewed and then fail to review the other masters, he is not qualified to WUMP in the future.

Best Regards
Patrik

bblackwood

« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2011, 08:52:38 AM »

Patrik T wrote on Sat, 29 January 2011 06:59

I would like to suggest a very basic and simple WUMP rule:

If someone participates, uploads a master, get it reviewed and then fail to review the other masters, he is not qualified to WUMP in the future.

Best Regards
Patrik

I think this is fair.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

AndreasN

« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2011, 10:25:45 AM »

Guilty as charged..

Apologies guys! Don't know what it is about this WUMP, but I find it difficult to hear what's going on with the processing. Did a round of listening and wrote some comments at December the 20'th. Then it felt like I should analyse more and give more feedback. Should have submitted the comments right there and then! Procrastination isn't a good trait.

This WUMP sounds more consistent, to my ears, than the last one. Overall very good work from the lot! Smile

"the fade at the end sucks, please do something nice with it." A lot of the tracks have the original fade..

Phillip: nice and soft. A bit clearer than original without turning harsh. Good low end weight!
ChrisDoremus: I like it! Vocals may be a tad too buried?
Undertow: oops. Wink The fixed master is much better, but still a bit on the bright side.
Patrik: like most of it. Got a natural flavour to it. Could perhaps do with some more high end and less compression or limiting or whatever it is. One of my favourites in this WUMP! Not the less so after having seen the minimal approach used.
Biigniick: Like the EQ'ing, good job on making the vocal breathe more without making it over the top.
Adam Gonsa: I like where you're heading, but it sounds somewhat overprocessed in a way. Hard to put the finger on, but it's perhaps a bit heavy handed in the treatment.
Specialized: A bit too much on the bright side of life for my taste, but there's definitely much good there too!
Fuse: My subs are getting a workout! Good low mid. This one is also a bit bright for my taste. The hihats in the end sounds like they are 3 feet wide. Wink On the other hand, guitars are not grating the ears like in some of the other brighter contributions.

---

My lavish processing:

upsample to 88kHz using SOX

density v1 used for a parallel compression-EQ trick: "phat" and "trafo" distortion enabled, 1-2dB gain reduction, listening purely to side chain bandpass filter tuned to about 1300Hz (giving only a small bit of signal from that range), M/S set to mostly mono, mixed in at 2% level compared to the dry signal. This may sound way too complex, and it is, but it gave the desired bit of slightly compressed and distorted boost to the vocal in that range.

uad pultec pro; mid EQ 500Hz ".1" notch boost, 2kHz boost at "1". low/high eq: boost at "2" at 10Khz bandwidth at "10".

weiss eq1: -.2db q1.75 277hz, .2db q2.9 155hz, .5db q.75 8k87, -.5db q2 2k79, 1db shape1 hishelf 21k1

dbx quantum: ambience 1.1:1 width 30 thresh-25

spitfish deesser: slight grab at 12kHz
plpar EQ +1dB @8200Hz Q1.5
flux bittersweet -0.01% medium 34ms period stereo side only (no mid processing)
1-2 dB GR on elephant with somewhat slow setting followed by
1-2 dB GR on elephant with a bit faster setting followed by
christiortion with 3'rd harmonic at -70dB and fifth harmonic at -90dB followed by
1-2 dB GR on elephant with even faster settings yet.

Used a verb and some editing to synthesize a wee bit of afterbloom in the very end of the tail fade, to avoid too abrupt stop.

downsample to 44kHz using SOX

TPDF dither

---

Once again apologies for the sloth tempo..

Andreas

philip

« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2011, 05:10:41 PM »

I am very very sorry I haven't comment yet. My life has been really upside down lately.

I liked all masters except one.

My favorite is Andreas N.

What I did:

1 dB of compression. (RMS)
Some minor EQ in the range +- 1dB
No limiting but limiter last in chain before dither.

KAyo

« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2011, 12:06:46 AM »

Here I am, out of the chaos, regarding the inevitable demise of my operating system.
Now back, up and running and many lessons learnt etc.. etc..

Anyway, my comments on the following WUMP 22.
Late than never.

Thanks to aivoryuk for the Admin, and Brad for hosting, and all of you, for the jam-up.
As always, we’ve learnt something together. To say the least, I did, with a warped master ..(damn stereo imager). But, just for aivoryuk, I am going to redeem myself by working on it again shortly, now that the systems nightmare is pass
http://www.Kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.