R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WUMP 22 Comments Thread  (Read 20396 times)

aivoryuk

Re: WUMP 22 Comments Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2011, 04:28:24 PM »

My settings were

Equality eq
mid channel around +1 @800Hz to bring out the vocal a bit
Cut of -1 around @250Hz
Side Channel boost of +1 @1Khz just to being out the guitar's a bit.

I didn't use any compression just in to my limiter set up giving 0.5 of gain reduction

MoreSpaceEcho

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2011, 01:19:25 AM »

hey alex you must've had some sort of clipping going on too, right? there's way more than 1/2db total gain on that sucker!

Ed Littman

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2011, 09:39:09 AM »

gertvanhoof wrote on Wed, 12 January 2011 08:44

Hi Ed,
Ed Littman wrote on Tue, 11 January 2011 03:46

I reduced the pops & crackles by both the vocals & later the drums.

Would you care to elaborate on what you did exactly to get rid of these artefacts?

I used the waveform restorer & the spectrum analyzer in Wavelab6
These are great tools for these types of issues along with vinyl restoration etc. If I cant see the click in the wav I switch to spectrum I highlight the click (within 3ms) & poof gone.

Ed

djwaudio

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2011, 09:15:14 PM »

Hi guys, it's cool to see all the minimalist approaches on this track.  Mine is not one of them!  Used the MLA 3 for the first time here too.

I cleaned the vocal plosives in the intro section with CEDAR de-clicking.

The chain was:
Weiss DAC1 MK2
Prism MLA-2  shelf cut 134,+.5dB/Q14/2k6, +.5dB/Q14/ 2.6
SPL PassEQ   Mid peaking +1dB, low shelf cut 1k9 -.5dB, 4k3 peaking -.5dB
Maselec MLA3  crossovers 200Hz & 6kHz, all bands 1.6:1, thr. 6dB
Manley Vari Mu  input 12:00/out 4:00/med release/thr 3:00/att1:30  
Orpheus A/D (no clipping)
L2 about 6dB GR on the loudest parts, auto release, output set to -.3dB

Thanks for the ride!
Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

chrisdoremus

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2011, 12:58:42 PM »

So how do you like the Prism multi-band?

MoreSpaceEcho

« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2011, 02:01:07 PM »

djwaudio wrote on Fri, 14 January 2011 02:15

L2 about 6dB GR on the loudest parts

ok, i'm really, really not trying to be a dick here, but i have to ask: why would you be rocking the L2 for 6db(!) when the brief clearly said "i don't care about loudness at all, put it where you think it sounds good"?

i realize this wasn't the greatest mix ever made, by any stretch, but it was certainly alright, and i put a lot of effort into it. as the mixing guy, it's really Incredibly Depressing to do all that work, say to the ME "don't worry about the level" and then still get a pancake back. seriously, when the mix comes back completely paved over, it makes me not want to get out of bed for a week.

it makes me think that, as much as we ME's are always crying "it's the clients!" in discussions about the loudness war, a lot of ME's tend to default to making stuff a good bit louder than it needs to be, and this is not helping things AT ALL.  

i'm not directing any of this at you personally, dana, or anyone here for that matter. just speaking very generally. i'm really wary of posting this because i'm afraid i'm going to come across as a whiny jerk and you're all going to hate me. but it is something i'd like to talk about with you guys, so in the hopes of sparking a gentlemanly conversation amongst colleagues...

*downs shot of Maker's, hits 'submit'*

gertvanhoof

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2011, 02:19:48 PM »

MoreSpaceEcho wrote on Fri, 14 January 2011 20:01

it makes me think that, as much as we ME's are always crying "it's the clients!" in discussions about the loudness war, a lot of ME's tend to default to making stuff a good bit louder than it needs to be, and this is not helping things AT ALL. (…) but it is something i'd like to talk about with you guys, so in the hopes of sparking a gentlemanly conversation amongst colleagues...

Fair point and thank you for putting things into perspective. Maybe, after years of being conditioned to louden things up, we've come to the point that our own perception of loudness is being biased/skewed severely by what we consider to be today's clients' expectations? I'm not too proud at all about my own entry in this respect. On the other hand, looking back on last year's output, excessive level isn't my "default setting" by any means. That said, the ability to nail down a track to its "natural" level without the context of an album appears to me as an important skill for today's and tomorrow's mastering engineers.

Best regards,

MoreSpaceEcho

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2011, 03:25:45 PM »

gertvanhoof wrote on Fri, 14 January 2011 19:19

Maybe, after years of being conditioned to louden things up, we've come to the point that our own perception of loudness is being biased/skewed severely by what we consider to be today's clients' expectations?

i think you hit the nail on the head. and i definitely sympathize with the real full time guys who are doing a record every day, month after month, and 99% of the clients want it super loud. it's gotta be really tough to keep things in perspective when you have the one weirdo client who says 'no really, i like the way the shellac records sound...'

cheers

djwaudio

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2011, 03:41:12 PM »

MoreSpaceEcho wrote on Fri, 14 January 2011 11:01

djwaudio wrote on Fri, 14 January 2011 02:15

L2 about 6dB GR on the loudest parts

ok, i'm really, really not trying to be a dick here, but i have to ask: why would you be rocking the L2 for 6db(!) when the brief clearly said "i don't care about loudness at all, put it where you think it sounds good"?

i realize this wasn't the greatest mix ever made, by any stretch, but it was certainly alright, and i put a lot of effort into it. as the mixing guy, it's really Incredibly Depressing to do all that work, say to the ME "don't worry about the level" and then still get a pancake back. seriously, when the mix comes back completely paved over, it makes me not want to get out of bed for a week.

The last thing in the world I have is any interest in, is debating loudness...

I am, however, interested in the craft of mastering, as a way to help the listener conjure the creative feeling the artist had when laying down the tracks or writing the song.

Many of the entries that held to the letter of your request, sounded unfinished and "searching" to me.  So the bias can cut both ways.

For what it's worth, I printed a quieter version and went with the limited one, because I think it enhanced the feeling I wanted to have when listening to it.

I'd do it different today because I've learned a few things from this WUMP, so I'm grateful for the experience.  I doubt I'd make a change in the levels, probably just a bit cleaner.

I love this song by the way!

Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

djwaudio

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2011, 03:50:49 PM »

chrisdoremus wrote on Fri, 14 January 2011 09:58

So how do you like the Prism multi-band?

It's an excellent compressor.  I've found that I'm using it very sparingly to touch up things in the spectrum.  Mostly I like the sound of a full band compressor, but it's helped on a number of things I've been working on lately.  

The sonic quality is very nice (amazing really), but there are a lot of wrong settings on this thing as you can imagine.  Having an extra gain stage in the middle of the chain has been a welcome surprise.  I sometimes follow the MLA with a Dramasic Obsidian, and it's very easy to find the sweet spot.
Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

gertvanhoof

« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2011, 04:15:40 PM »

djwaudio wrote on Fri, 14 January 2011 21:41

The last thing in the world I have is any interest in, is debating loudness... I am, however, interested in the craft of mastering, as a way to help the listener conjure the creative feeling the artist had when laying down the tracks or writing the song.

Well… As I see it, this WUMP clearly points out that loudness remains an issue in our continuing quest to get the message across. So why would we shy away from debating that peculiar aspect of our craft?

Best regards,

MoreSpaceEcho

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2011, 04:20:04 PM »

djwaudio wrote on Fri, 14 January 2011 20:41

The last thing in the world I have is any interest in, is debating loudness...

well sure, but that's not what we're debating.

Quote:

I doubt I'd make a change in the levels, probably just a bit cleaner.

would you argue with the client if they said "it's way too loud and hurts my ears"?

Quote:

I love this song by the way!

much appreciated. thank you!

djwaudio

« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2011, 08:16:49 PM »

gertvanhoof wrote on Fri, 14 January 2011 13:15

djwaudio wrote on Fri, 14 January 2011 21:41

The last thing in the world I have is any interest in, is debating loudness... I am, however, interested in the craft of mastering, as a way to help the listener conjure the creative feeling the artist had when laying down the tracks or writing the song.

Well… As I see it, this WUMP clearly points out that loudness remains an issue in our continuing quest to get the message across. So why would we shy away from debating that peculiar aspect of our craft?

Best regards,

Feel free; have a field day discussing the evils of loud records, or the merits...

People like it loud in the car, to cover the road noise.  I have no problem with that, as long as it doesn't make the music sound bad.  

I do applaud the efforts of the anti-loud movement, as I now have clients who are aware of the subject and have some perspective on what they want.  

Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

djwaudio

« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2011, 08:23:57 PM »

MoreSpaceEcho wrote on Fri, 14 January 2011 13:20

would you argue with the client if they said "it's way too loud and hurts my ears"?

Definitely not!  It would be a strong indicator to rethink direction of the work.  If we're lucky, have a pow-wow on what sounds good to the artist.

Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

gertvanhoof

« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2011, 02:37:48 AM »

djwaudio wrote on Sat, 15 January 2011 02:16

Feel free; have a field day discussing the evils of loud records, or the merits...
People like it loud in the car, to cover the road noise.  I have no problem with that, as long as it doesn't make the music sound bad.  
I do applaud the efforts of the anti-loud movement, as I now have clients who are aware of the subject and have some perspective on what they want.

All I can say is that your entry was even louder than mine and that I've drawn my own conclusions.

Best regards,
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.