R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WUMP 22 Comments Thread  (Read 20402 times)

MoreSpaceEcho

Re: WUMP 22 Comments Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2010, 01:43:33 PM »

UnderTow wrote on Mon, 27 December 2010 14:55

It might help if the deadline wasn't on a week day.

dude, you had two weeks to do it.

UnderTow

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2010, 04:39:11 PM »

MoreSpaceEcho wrote on Mon, 27 December 2010 19:43

UnderTow wrote on Mon, 27 December 2010 14:55

It might help if the deadline wasn't on a week day.

dude, you had two weeks to do it.

Yes and it was done on the first day the files were available. I just exported the master from my DAW on the day of the deadline. The idea was to see if it needed any tweaking after not hearing the master for a while. There was no time for that on the day of the deadline. I just exported the file in the morning before going to work. I had no reason to believe it would sound any different than when I had left it two weeks earlier.

Anyway, what is the big fuss? A plugin glitched. I didn't catch that because I was pressed for time. If this was a paying job I would check the master after export. The time for that would have been scheduled. In this particular case arriving at work on time was more important. End of story.

I already said I should have checked the rendered file. It was entirely my mistake and admitted it but people are still bitching.  Confused I find it strange that people are still going on about that but not requesting to hear how it really should have sounded.
That seems like strange priorities to me.

Alistair

MoreSpaceEcho

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2010, 08:18:43 PM »

i'd be happy to check out your proper version!

djwaudio

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2010, 01:37:22 AM »

Group 2

Hi Everyone,

Happy holidays! It's good to be back in the studio today after some time off.

This is my second WUMP, and I find the whole thing a little defeating, since there is a lot of knee jerk response to what we dislike about the submissions. It would be nice to see a little more support for our brethren.  I've fallen into that trap a little as well, but I'm not hearing anything that would put Bernie Grundman out of business here.  

On the other hand, the WUMP seems like a good way to get a little humble pie, and for me; a chance to do something different with a track, to take some chances and see what happens.  

Thanks for everyone's submission, feedback and to the organizers.

Here's what I'm hearing on B&W 802Ds, Event 20/20 BAS, and AKG K270 headphones:

Fuse - Didn't translate well between mains and mini speakers, high end gets pinched sounding.  I'm looking for more definition.  I like it on headphones though.

adam_gonsa - I'm looking for more clarity, but the balances feel good and overall good punch. Sounds good on headphones in the full band sections.

Biig Nick - My file has a burst of noise at the vocal entry after the drums come in. Translates pretty well, but the snare is overtaking the vocal too much, and the dynamics seem choked. Sounds pretty good in headphones.

Specialized -  I like the intensity, and the fact that it's totally *different* than everything else in the group.  Even though it's loud, it still moves.  I like what others were able to do with the guitar tones better.  For me, looking for more vocal made the guitars change too much. I'm testing some new gear on this track so there's some growing pain represented here.

Patrick T interesteing low-end impact, works well on the mains, but is tough on the mini monitors, slowing the feel down.  I like that it stays coherent in the frenzy section, but the vocal gets buried. Headphones aren't as fun on this entry, it sounds like it's pushing too much for me.

Undertow - sounds nice on the mains for the most part, but the high-end starts to dominate, and turns me off.  I like the low end and low-mid, but the upper-mids and top get distracting. It's all hi-hat in the headphones.

AndreasN - Nice translation between monitors, but heavy on the low-end, weighs the mix down.  The dynamics feel a bit contained, not as fun on the headphones.

Chris Doremus - snare is distracting, chaotic without being exciting, depth? unappealing dynamics, tedious.  I think the level could be hotter, though hat's off to a definite dejection of the loudness war. Headphones are better than the main's but something is off for me on this entry.

Philip - A little flat to me, lost it's dynamics yet doesn't have much level. Stays consistent between mains and mini monitors.  The warmth is nice but at the cost of excitement.
Sounds good on the headphones, doesn't make me want to shut it off like many of the entries.  

DW
Respectfully submitted,
Dana

Dana J. White
specializedmastering.com

UnderTow

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2010, 01:43:23 PM »

MoreSpaceEcho wrote on Tue, 28 December 2010 02:18

i'd be happy to check out your proper version!

Thanks. It is on the FTP server and is called WUMP22-UnderTow_fixed.wav

Cheers,

Alistair

aivoryuk

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2010, 05:00:50 PM »

about 10/19 comments so far, I would of hoped for a few more by now as it has been over 2 weeks.

If people want to start posting their techniques and setting (might as well in this same thread) then by all means.

cheers

pmx

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2010, 05:28:22 PM »

after the weekend/next year for me guys, i'm still trying to get the soot out of my mixer and i don't want to botch the wump of course (raffle it off for the dutchies Wink)
Paul Matthijs Lombert | The Mastering Factory

AndreasN

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2010, 11:57:26 AM »

Started listening, it all sounded too alike, so I figured I'd give it some time and it's been dragging out. Ma

adamgonsa

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2010, 05:00:35 PM »

djwaudio wrote on Mon, 27 December 2010 22:37

This is my second WUMP, and I find the whole thing a little defeating, since there is a lot of knee jerk response to what we dislike about the submissions. It would be nice to see a little more support for our brethren.  I've fallen into that trap a little as well, but I'm not hearing anything that would put Bernie Grundman out of business here.

This is my first WUMP but, yeah.  +1.

Group 2.
Listening on KH O300s + O800 sub & AKG K701 headphones.

Fuse- Mids are a little foreword. This one stayed pretty close to the mix, which isn't bad, but it's a wee bit flat.

Specialized01- Very present and crisp.  I like how the the guitars sound in this master, the depth of the distortion and the dig of the pick sound terrific.  

Biig Nick- The percussion in this one sounds terrific.  The kick has been tightened and the snare transients weren't really messed with.  

Patrick T- The mids and upper mids in this one sound slick, and very polished.  The vocals seem to get lost at one or two points in the song but otherwise not too shabby.  

Undertow- Kind of bright, but that's been covered already.  

AndreasN- The transients still sound snappy and fierce in this one, and it maintains a very open sound.  The noise/grime of the track also seems especially prominent in this master.

Chris Doremus- A little weird and washed out sound, seems kind of overfutz'd with.  Sort of hard to listen to, nothing has it's own space.  Sounds like a step down from the mix.  

Philip- Also has enhanced low end, which is OK except that it eclipses the mids to some extent.  This one could have benefited from more clarity.

adamgonsa- I still like the sound of mine, although I hear what others have said about the compressor pushing a bit too hard at one point in the song.  I hit a comp a little harder than usual, and it dug in at one or two spots.  

In terms of processing here's what I did in the order of the signal chain:
Removed 'spolives in the opening sequence with iZotope RX.  
-Corrective digital EQ (Flux Epure)- .6dB cut at 310Hz with a Q of 3.75, and another .25dB cut at at 12k5 (same Q).
-From there I gave it a bit of a push in level before D/A (not clipping) but still hitting the Charter Oak SCL1 kind of hard.  Threshold set high (2), with a slow attack(3), fast release(7), and ratio of 1.5:1.  
-On to the Gyraf G14 for very gentle sweetening.  Very slight wide Q bumps at 48Hz, and 1k4.  Slight level increase coming out of the G14 as well.  This may be the cause of some of the "side widening" that Alex commented on, as I didn't use any M/S processing.  The G14 can add a touch of width sometimes.  
-Back into the A/D with plenty of headroom. Slight bump in digital gain and then the voxengo elephant to catch the odd peak.  

Slight changes via 2 EQs, some action from a comp, and clean digital gain. Nothing too radical except for edition the opening section.    
Adam Gonsalves
Telegraph Mastering

KAyo

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2010, 03:37:21 PM »

aivoryuk wrote on Wed, 29 December 2010 16:00

about 10/19 comments so far, I would of hoped for a few more by now as it has been over 2 weeks.

If people want to start posting their techniques and setting (might as well in this same thread) then by all means.

cheers

continued apologies..

I was afraid, it would come down to this. My BSOD is incurable or one could say, Win Xp is now crippled severely. I tried avoiding the "abandon ship" scenario, but, at present it looks like, moving to another HD and starting again, is the only right thing to do.. the other can await it’s miracle fingerscrossedxx.

Will load up and download all over again.

Also, a Happy New Year to all, and the of best wishes for the coming year ahead.

Ciao’
KAyo
http://www.Kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

chrisdoremus

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2011, 04:49:10 PM »

For my listening, I level matched all of the entries and I switched between the original and the entry in question.

Also, these are just my general thoughts upon a quick listen for a few sections.

Also, I listened with Adam A7s so don't take anything negative too seriously.

Also, I believe my chain was something like: GML 8900 compression (1 or 3 dB gain reduction) to Avalon 2055 -1 200-ish +1 4k-ish (i think) and +1 25k to Prism Sound MLA-2 for 0dB gain reduction (for fun?)

DOMC- EQ choice differs from mine a bit
PMX- Possibly too much sub information
Kayo- EQ choice differs from mine a bit
gertvanhoof- Great
ggidluck- Great, small possibility of being too bright
LudwigM- Dynamics maybe became slightly choked
Ed Littman_Mastering- Cleared up nicely
GreggJanman- A little bright, made the drums stick out a little
aivoryuk- Drum dynamics may have become altered
MC- EQ choice differs from mine a bit and I hear some crackling
Fuse- Sub information may have sacrificed some punch
Specialized01- Dynamics may have become altered
Biig Nick- Great
Patrick T- Great
Undertow- I didn't download your correct version
AndreasN- Great
Philip- Brought out detail nicely

ggidluck

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2011, 11:37:44 AM »

Samplitude 8 pro. Listening done on Lipinski L505's with Yamaha HS10W sub.
Overview of the whole process was some eq and levels adjustment. No compression used at all. I used mid/side to try to take some of the energy out of the tom fills in one spot. This was a mistake and it was commented upon by a couple of people as sounding weird in that section.

Eq settings: Low cut at 30. -4.4 db at 250 Hz Q=3.0 . This added clarity to the vocal but more than one person said I cut a bit too much. 5K boost of +3 Q=1.0 . This added some brightness to the vocal, snare and hi-hat. Added some high-shelf at 7K +1.5 db. I did use some volume curves in samplitude to bring the level of the vocal up at the beginnning and end. Hopefully that wasn't too radical, but I thought it needed it in lieu of any compression.

I also felt like a highlight of the track was when the snare comes in after the quieter parts. Because I was using a volume curve I allowed those hits to jump out a bit. Some artistic embellishment for sure, but in a real situation I would let the artist decide. This is for fun so I thought I would play a bit.

Since the objective was to improve the sound I didn't try to get the levels loud. Regarding Scott's question, the use of the volume curve would have the effect of upward expansion on the snare hits.

I enjoyed the challenge that this track presented.
Gordon Gidluck
http://live2496.com

Ed Littman

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2011, 09:46:51 PM »

This is what I did.

I reduced the pops & crackles by both the vocals & later the drums.
Also,I also reduced a strange keyboard swell on the left side at 2:50.

Signal Chain:
1.Bax eq M/S through the dangerous S&M box
M- 74hz +3db.. 2.5khz +3db
S- 74hz -2db

2. Ibis 220hz +.5 db Q2.5 color 10
I used M/S for both eq's b/c the IBIS/Color got the panned guitars a bit thicker & the bax brought out more detail without getting the guitars to harsh later in the song.

3.Buzz req 2.2 eq 500hz +1db

4.Chandler Ldt-2 makeup gain 2db

Patrik T

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2011, 10:50:02 PM »

My approach was:

Lavry Blue to analog.

Added 0.5 dB with a q of 0.7 at 1400 Hz with the 5033 EQ.

Lavry Blue to digital.

L2 Hardware.

Best Regards
Patrik

gertvanhoof

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2011, 08:44:42 AM »

Hi Ed,
Ed Littman wrote on Tue, 11 January 2011 03:46

I reduced the pops & crackles by both the vocals & later the drums.

Would you care to elaborate on what you did exactly to get rid of these artefacts?

As for my signal chain (24-bit, 44.1kHz throughout):

1. Weiss EQ-1: took out some sub-bass and some low-mid muddiness. Gentle lift at the top end of the spectrum.
2. Crane Song STC-8 set for 3-4dB of gain reduction. Make-up set accordingly (obviously, this stage had been better off with some subtlety).
3. Crane Song HEDD DSP for some pentode/tape characteristics.
4. Weiss DS-1 in limiter mode for some 3dB of additional gain.
5. Capture in SADiE, dither to 16/44.

Thanks to anyone involved for another WUMP… eagerly anticipating the next round.

Best regards,
Gert
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.4 seconds with 20 queries.