R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WUMP 22 Comments Thread  (Read 20408 times)

Ed Littman

Re: WUMP 22 Comments Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 11:51:13 PM »

aivoryuk wrote on Mon, 20 December 2010 15:56

Ed Littman - Nice Job although the volume drop at 2:40 seems really noticeable so overall I think the dynamics could have been ironed out more.

This dip is in the original mix. With that said, maybe your hearing it more on mine than the others cause I retained most of the original dynamics. I felt the mix was compressed enough already so furthur compression was only for makeup gain.

But on the other hand, if it was distracting to a listener maybe I should have given it more thought.
Ed

MoreSpaceEcho

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 12:02:10 PM »

i don't feel like that dip is that crazy...i might've pulled the main rhythm guitars back a db there, i don't remember. i'm certainly hitting the snare softer there than in the section before it, that verse was the only section where i used any of the close snare mic...but i felt like the snare shouldn't be as out front in that section as it detracted from the vocal, and i figured by that point in the tune most listeners would probably have a grasp of where the backbeat was...

only compression on this was bass, room mics and guitar solo. oh, and leslie noise. i tried compressing the vox but it just made them worse.

UnderTow

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 05:26:12 PM »

Well b*gger me sidewise... I thought some of the comments about the brightness of my master were a bit excessive but as I had brightened things up quite a bit it didn't ring any alarm bells...

Today I listened to what you guys heard and I now fully understand. That is way too bright! So I checked the project and found that for some reason GlissEQ jumped from "Peaking" mode to "Peaking 8" mode.

For those not familiar with GlissEq this is the difference in frequency response:

http://puretone.nl/Peaking/Peaking.png

and

http://puretone.nl/Peaking/Peaking8.png

(All other settings besides the mode are identical).

In short, I should have checked the rendered file before uploading.

Alistair

UnderTow

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 05:43:06 PM »

I had a quick listen but I must say I am quite tired. I listened now because I know I won't get a chance before xmas or even maybe after the new year so here goes y quick and dirty review:

Fuse:         Not bad. Still a little too veiled for my taste.

Specialized01:      A bit too loud and still boxy. Fatiguing.

adam gonsa:      Too dull sounding for my taste. Otherwise not bad.

BiigNiick:      Sounds nice.

patrik:         Solid sounding. Could use a touch more sizzle on the top. Sounds a bit boxy especially at the begining.

andreasN:      Overall nice sounding but could be more ballsy, more grabbing. Maybe a bit more loudness?

ChrisDoremus:      Could use more level. Snare still very present as requested.

philip:         Another soft one. Could use more clarity and level.

Alistair

pmx

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 02:02:31 PM »

hope to get to do a good listen after christmas, my former studio with my big desk in it burned down today (made the national news!) so i'm busy with other stuff the next few days.

happy christmas y'all.
Paul Matthijs Lombert | The Mastering Factory

gertvanhoof

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 02:28:42 PM »

pmx wrote on Wed, 22 December 2010 20:02

hope to get to do a good listen after christmas, my former studio with my big desk in it burned down today (made the national news!) so i'm busy with other stuff the next few days.

happy christmas y'all.

Hi Paul,

I'm very sorry to hear about the fire - it must be terrifying to witness your room turning into dust. I sincerely hope nobody got hurt…

Best regards,
Gert

MoreSpaceEcho

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 02:50:21 PM »

yeah that is terrible news, very sorry to hear it. hope everyone is alright.

bblackwood

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 02:52:20 PM »

pmx wrote on Wed, 22 December 2010 13:02

happy christmas y'all.

Oh man, hope everyone is OK!

By former, do you mean you've recently moved out or was it your current room?

Bad news either way! Very sorry to hear...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

bkuijt

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 03:18:23 PM »

happy christmas y'all.

That's bad news! Very sorry to hear that.
Good luck with all the hassle the coming days.

Bests,
Bastiaan Kuijt  //  BK Audio  //  www.bkaudio.nl

pmx

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 03:37:16 PM »

not my current room no, thank god for that. it's my former room, where i had some stuff and a big mixing desk stored. it was sold and ready to go on transport yesterday but that got delayed due to the snow conditions over here in NL.

"oh isn't ironic, don't you think"

luckily no one got hurt, so it's just a lot of dirt and water everywhere and into everything. and the first time i've seen a molten u87.

back on topic: i also did fix that dip in my master, found it a bit too distracting. but i did the plosives in the first bit as well, so i might be into detail a bit too much on this one Very Happy
Paul Matthijs Lombert | The Mastering Factory

UnderTow

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 03:56:58 PM »

happy christmas y'all.

Ouch! I hope everything sorts itself out!

Alistair

Patrik T

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2010, 04:13:47 PM »

UnderTow wrote on Tue, 21 December 2010 23:26

In short, I should have checked the rendered file before uploading.

Naaaaah, that can not possibly be applied onto the concept of mastering audio...

Happy Festivus!
Patrik

Gregg Janman

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2010, 06:50:17 PM »

Hey all,

Just want to say thank you to all the people that have commented so far, and to apologise for not doing the same. I've had a sinus infection for the last couple of weeks, that has been affecting the hearing in my left ear, and I don't think I could make a great comparison at the moment. I fully intend to when I have recovered though!

Best wishes and Merry Christmas to everyone on here!

Gregg

P.S. I am also pretty horrified that someone would let a file out the door that hadn't actually been listened to/checked (especially on a forum full of great mastering engineers in a mastering shoot out), but it's not the first time I have heard of this happening!

KAyo

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2010, 01:00:49 PM »

I'm 4days into a WinXp BSOD puzzle. Registry & IRQ failure blah blah ..

Apologies all around.
Will catch up, though.

Ciao,
KAyo
http://www.Kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

UnderTow

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2010, 09:55:39 AM »

Gregg Janman wrote on Fri, 24 December 2010 00:50

P.S. I am also pretty horrified that someone would let a file out the door that hadn't actually been listened to/checked (especially on a forum full of great mastering engineers in a mastering shoot out), but it's not the first time I have heard of this happening!

It might help if the deadline wasn't on a week day. How ever much fun and educational WUMP might be, real work gets priority.

On a more general note, I would prefer more frequent WUMPs with shorter deadlines. Work load will mean some WUMPs will be missed by some but if they are more frequent it shouldn't matter too much. Unless of course there are not enough tracks being offered to use for the WUMPs.

Alistair
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.