R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: what's the new paradigm?  (Read 29957 times)

Gio

Re: what's the new paradigm?
« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2011, 08:45:07 AM »

maxim wrote on Thu, 06 January 2011 03:55

ryan wrote: "lessons from history where the resulting new order turns out to be not all that great. French Revolution,Zimbabwe,Russia to name but a few."

while it's true that the immediate effects were disastrous in all those cases, the "long tail" effects of those revolutions means that you and i can now live in a more socially equitable state

my family had to escape the results of the russian revolution, and yet i still feel that the long term effects of a communist experiment will make my grandchildren's lives that little be better

libert
Giovanni Fusco

On Staff Here

My Place

Press record. Enjoy!

Bill Mueller

« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2011, 12:10:17 PM »

Fred Baugher wrote on Thu, 06 January 2011 00:18

joeyhavoc wrote on Wed, 05 January 2011 18:37

There are businesses right now making money by focusing not on generating the big hit but by finding a niche within the tail and hammering it home.

Company names?

Fred,

He did give the name Monte Cook. And while Monte seems to be a prolific writer and gets a lot of press, he is exactly like a band that starts out with a label deal, builds a following and then goes it alone, claiming that their career is built upon file sharing. BS. Monte is benefiting from a long career working for good wages in the game industry, building a following and then capitalizing on it on his own. This is NOT the Long Tail.

But Apple started in a garage, as did Hewlett Packard and many other HUGE companies. So just because the long tail is a false tail does not mean that entrepreneurs cannot start out small. That is everyone's hope. It is the idea that there is some Utopian space where niche content providers have instant access to millions of people that is just wrong.

Take a look at the Tour numbers thread. If you add the 8 MILLION (!) bands on Myspace (most of whom pay to play or play for free) the long tail is clearly a fraud. The millions of books "published" by vanity presses are the same thing, only worse. It does not take the kind of training to type as it does to learn an instrument, so anyone can be an "author".

Joey, you keep taking this thread personally. Don't. It has nothing to do with you. It has to do with a propaganda (advertising) ploy that was supposed to change the world in 2005 and failed. Nothing more.

Best regards,

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

joeyhavoc

« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2011, 08:00:20 PM »

Bill Mueller wrote on Thu, 06 January 2011 11:10

It is the idea that there is some Utopian space where niche content providers have instant access to millions of people that is just wrong.

Joey, you keep taking this thread personally. Don't. It has nothing to do with you. It has to do with a propaganda (advertising) ploy that was supposed to change the world in 2005 and failed. Nothing more.

Bill,

The fact is that there IS a space where niche content providers have access to millions of people without the log jam or filter of big box stores.  What is wrong is the belief that if you build it and throw it on the internet you are guaranteed that someone will find it.  Nowhere in The Long Tail does the author state that.  And nowhere does he state that Marketing 101 concepts(awareness, consideration, trial, and purchase) are no longer required for a successful product.  But people "think" that's what the book says...

And you're right it's not personal.  It's about stating facts.

The definition of “propaganda” is “the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person”.

The definition of a “ploy” is a “tactic intended to embarrass or frustrate an opponent”.

Your statement above is that Chris Anderson wrote a book with the intention of providing misinformation to trick and harm people.

From my perspective, that seems completely non-factual to me.  It's statements like these that have spurred me to debate this topic so vigorously.

As I've stated previously, for the last 10 years I've been working on businesses in a variety of categories where the goal was to build products for small populations of niche market consumers outside of the big box stores using the internet for sales and advertising and sometimes digital objects as inventory.  While Anderson's prediction of how the music industry would play out was wildly wrong, I use concepts from his book on a weekly basis with success.  And so does Monte Cook...  And Tarol Hunt of the online comic, Goblins...  And the founders of Pop Cap Games...

YMMV.

Good luck Bill!

joe

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2011, 09:18:11 AM »

maxim wrote on Thu, 06 January 2011 00:55

ryan wrote: "lessons from history where the resulting new order turns out to be not all that great. French Revolution,Zimbabwe,Russia to name but a few."
while it's true that the immediate effects were disastrous in all those cases, the "long tail" effects of those revolutions means that you and i can now live in a more socially equitable state
my family had to escape the results of the russian revolution, and yet i still feel that the long term effects of a communist experiment will make my grandchildren's lives that little be better
libert
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

Edward Vinatea

« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2011, 01:29:28 PM »

Talking about human history is, in my opinion, a waste of time in itself because it seems we never learn from our mistakes. But History is very interesting indeed. The world is mainly driven by greed; human progress is one of the results of it, but not the defining reason as to why we are where we are in the first place. FWIW, historically speaking and with few exceptions, the powers that be have never been interested in the human condition. Money is not necessarily power and viceversa. At the end of the day I'm afraid, it will all end up with one big bang. Whether is our own nuclear arsenals what did us in, or a violent collision in outer space; our time on earth is limited indeed. As animals, look on the fossil record, if you are not convinced.

Having said all this depressing stuff, I am going to the city to enjoy a nice Sunday now.

FWIW, YMMV

Edward

maxim

« Reply #110 on: January 09, 2011, 02:12:22 PM »

if you're a white middle class male, then nothing much has changed, that's true

if you're not, however....

arlenthompson

« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2011, 03:42:54 PM »

I found these articles today on Slashdot.  

According to a study at a university in Madrid, 66% of the content uploaded to Pirate Bay and Mininova is from 100 people:

http://www.uc3m.es/portal/page/portal/actualidad_cientifica/ noticias/P2P_network

http://www.thinq.co.uk/2011/1/26/100-p2p-pirates-do-75-cent- all-downloading/

Arlen Thompson
Wolf Parade/Mount Zoomer!

joeyhavoc

« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2011, 06:06:14 PM »

arlenthompson wrote on Wed, 26 January 2011 14:42

According to a study at a university in Madrid, 66% of the content uploaded to Pirate Bay and Mininova is from 100 people:

http://www.uc3m.es/portal/page/portal/actualidad_cientifica/ noticias/P2P_network

Wouldn't it be the University of Madrid's responsibility to hand that information over to the FBI, Interpol and other law enforcement agencies to go arrest those 100 people?

Arresting 100 people seems very doable given that the FBI just arrested over 100 mafia members here in the US in a simultaneous sting operation just last week.

Gio

« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2011, 06:53:31 PM »

joeyhavoc wrote on Wed, 26 January 2011 18:06

Wouldn't it be the University of Madrid's responsibility to hand that information over to the FBI, Interpol and other law enforcement agencies to go arrest those 100 people?

Where's Wikileaks when you need 'em?  Twisted Evil
Giovanni Fusco

On Staff Here

My Place

Press record. Enjoy!

Bill Mueller

« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2011, 07:26:38 PM »

arlenthompson wrote on Wed, 26 January 2011 15:42

As I have said now for six years, follow the MONEY.

BTW, these guys could easily be busted under any number of international racketeering laws. How come they don't get busted? Lets see....... Could it be that they are being protected?

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up