R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Multrack Masters  (Read 11661 times)

arconaut

Multrack Masters
« on: December 08, 2010, 10:54:55 PM »

http://www.studiomultitracks.com

Where is all this stuff coming from? Is it because of the Rock Band video games? I do find it fascinating but when people are registering domain names to host this stuff (though it's all youtube videos) seems to me that it's getting out of hand.
You Are Number Six

Barry Hufker

Re: Multrack Masters
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 01:02:29 PM »

I don't know if it's legal and I can't imagine the commercial impact, but from an educational standpoint it's a great teaching tool for both music and technology...

Barry

Jay Kadis

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 01:18:01 PM »

Great.  Now my students won't be satisfied just to mix MY old crap for practice.

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 11:06:59 AM »

These all sound like safety prints of the final mixes.

Probably done onto a 8 track digital machine, or similar. At least the more modern ones.

I wonder who has their hands on this (record label workers...?)

I found that of the 100% of the albums that I worked on, 100% of them were leaked onto the internet by someone working inside the record label.

Yet no one ever pointed the finger at them. The labels were usually the ones pointing fingers at anyone NOT working directly for them.

Hypocrisy at its finest.
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

compasspnt

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 09:24:44 PM »

More proof that all multitracks should be destroyed by the originator once they are satisfied with the mixes.

arconaut

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 09:56:01 PM »

I figured these were all coming from tunes that were being digitized for the purpose of mixing for video games or remixes. I love hearing these things, I hope that doesn't make me a hypocrite. But at the same time, I'm not downloading them. I always thought that not talking about who was in your studio (if it was sensitive) as well as only having access to multitracks when you were actually working with them and keeping these multis and all mixes "private" all added to the mystique and cool factor of working in a studio.

Where I work (NYU) we give our students an assignment of trying to recreate a well-known recording. We've had some amazing ones (two students did a bang-up job on "tomorrow never knows," which just floored me). Last year, some students had a copy of the multitrack for "What's Going On" and I thought it gave them an advantage. Turns out, they lost the forest for the trees because they lost sight of the big picture, the final mix. So go figure.
You Are Number Six

ssltech

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 12:25:12 PM »

Actually, the source of several of these has been discussed before on PSW... -The Stevie Wonder Superstition, Queen Bohemian Rhapsody, along with several tuens from the Doobie Brothers' and Marvin Gaye apparently all were disseminated via bit torrent sites, or whatever Napster-like tendrils.

I remember postulating my view that -while it can be educational and instructive to examine the multitracks ALONG WITH THE COMPLETED MIX- as an insight to lots of things like balance methods, tricks, and all sorts of other stuff like control room leakage, and how the significant-versus-insignificant balance plays out.  -But that it also allows some people to 'play' at having 'power' which is somewhat beyond their entitlement insofar as their experience allows.

The Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder etc have been out for several years; this is simply a slight agglomeration and -sadly in my view- just spreads this even further.

For so many of these sessions, the MAGIC was what was happening AT THE TIME, and even the same people wouldn't produce the SAME magic at a later date, so the point of playing with these multitracks, and trying to 'improve' upon original mixes (which I hear CONSTANTLY discussed among the younger breed of 'new' engineers) by using modern tools and available technology (think beat-detective, auto-tune, and their like) would -in most cases- be like trying to 'improve' on the Mona Lisa because we have modern paints which are smoother and easier to work with the brush...

I mean... Imagine how much 'Better' the Beatles would sound with Melodyne and beat-detective.

That's why this ready availability and Wikileak-like 'sharing' crushes our souls, little by little.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

arconaut

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 01:59:36 PM »

But  those didn't come from bit torrent sites, that was just the distribution. I'm saying the people who are the source of these things aren't really respecting "the magic."
You Are Number Six

compasspnt

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 03:01:31 PM »

ssltech wrote on Sat, 11 December 2010 12:25

That's why this ready availability and Wikileak-like 'sharing' crushes our souls, little by little.

Tidewater

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 05:18:28 PM »

ssltech wrote on Sat, 11 December 2010 12:25

Imagine how much 'Better' the Beatles would sound with Melodyne and beat-detective.

Keith

Ok. Eleanor Rigby needs drums.

I have mixed a few versions of Killer Queen, but the billing never goes through. By the way, that was some miserable tracking.
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 09:23:45 PM »

ssltech wrote on Sat, 11 December 2010 09:25

Actually, the source of several of these has been discussed before on PSW... -The Stevie Wonder Superstition, Queen Bohemian Rhapsody, along with several tuens from the Doobie Brothers' and Marvin Gaye apparently all were disseminated via bit torrent sites, or whatever Napster-like tendrils.

I remember postulating my view that -while it can be educational and instructive to examine the multitracks ALONG WITH THE COMPLETED MIX- as an insight to lots of things like balance methods, tricks, and all sorts of other stuff like control room leakage, and how the significant-versus-insignificant balance plays out.  -But that it also allows some people to 'play' at having 'power' which is somewhat beyond their entitlement insofar as their experience allows.

The Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder etc have been out for several years; this is simply a slight agglomeration and -sadly in my view- just spreads this even further.

For so many of these sessions, the MAGIC was what was happening AT THE TIME, and even the same people wouldn't produce the SAME magic at a later date, so the point of playing with these multitracks, and trying to 'improve' upon original mixes (which I hear CONSTANTLY discussed among the younger breed of 'new' engineers) by using modern tools and available technology (think beat-detective, auto-tune, and their like) would -in most cases- be like trying to 'improve' on the Mona Lisa because we have modern paints which are smoother and easier to work with the brush...

I mean... Imagine how much 'Better' the Beatles would sound with Melodyne and beat-detective.

Keith

Yes, they were disseminated on those services.

But the question remains :

WHO PUT THEM UP THERE?

Someone had to digitize and upload them for the first time.

Now, if we know who has those masters... then that entity was responsible for the dissemination of that content. I still state it is record label employees, for the most part. Who else would have access to the master tapes? I know of no record engineer who would do this.

Cheers
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

bblackwood

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 10:05:02 PM »

I'm probably in the minority, but once it hit me that I was listening to illegal stuff, akin to stealing a song, imo, I stopped. Refuse to listen to them now.

Hard to argue against music theft (illegal downloads) if I'm being hypocritical.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Tidewater

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 10:34:23 PM »

Yeah, ok .. granted. It's kind of fun though.   Rolling Eyes

compasspnt

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 10:47:23 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Sat, 11 December 2010 22:05

Refuse to listen to them...

I'm with you.

Years ago I had the two Marvin tunes, but actually working on them (NO, IT WAS ABSOLUTELY NOT ME WHO LET THEM GET OUT!!), and it was really fun listening to them in that way.

But many people (with good intention) have sent me the illicit masters of things like Sgt. Pepper, Queen, etc...I have never listened to them...it is wrong.

Just can't do it.

Tidewater

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 12:01:24 AM »

Well, I do own the rights to play the only one I have.. or had.

I had Killer Queen. I remixed it like the original without bass as a joke on a friend. I told him his system wasn't playing bass back... ok. Was hilarious. He's a bass player.. ya know.

Other than that, it was very interesting to have the components of something I am familiar with.

(yes terry made me feel guilty.. brad has to work harder to make me feel guilty)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 22 queries.