R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wickileaks-A Watershed Moment  (Read 48488 times)

bblackwood

Re: Wickileaks-A Watershed Moment
« Reply #195 on: December 24, 2010, 11:44:18 AM »

MDM, wrote on Fri, 24 December 2010 07:11

The government has a right to restrict 'sharing' of information if it causes a danger to the state's population or army, primarily during a War.

Not in the US, not according to the SCOTUS.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Bill_Urick

« Reply #196 on: December 24, 2010, 03:08:54 PM »

MDM, wrote on Fri, 24 December 2010 08:11

if you have substantially large and corrupt entities within the government, who are committing all sorts of acts of treason, fraud etc. then it's logical that a huge amount of resources will be spent on keeping the war alive and kicking... and restricting free press.

Treason and fraud, perhaps, but the only kicking and screaming is in denial that we are in a war. Most of the press here is self-restricting and has been for years.
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

DarinK

« Reply #197 on: December 24, 2010, 03:20:01 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Fri, 24 December 2010 08:44

MDM, wrote on Fri, 24 December 2010 07:11

The government has a right to restrict 'sharing' of information if it causes a danger to the state's population or army, primarily during a War.

Not in the US, not according to the SCOTUS.

And the U.S. has not been in a declared war for quite a while.  Legally, there's a huge  distinction between some vague "war on terror" and a real declaration of war.

fiasco ( P.M.DuMont )

« Reply #198 on: December 25, 2010, 07:45:26 AM »

Bill_Urick wrote on Fri, 24 December 2010 06:31

WTF?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2374683,00.asp

The most suitable acronym of all government entities.
Philip

mukul

« Reply #199 on: December 25, 2010, 12:03:29 PM »

I reproduce an excerpt from an Indian newspaper commentary that is relevant to this discussion:

Nothing, perhaps, has tested America’s reputation as an open society as much as the recent uproar over the WikiLeaks disclosures. To have the US Attorney General threatening to extradite and prosecute a foreign national for publishing classified information given to him by others, to watch American companies like Amazon, Visa, MasterCard and Paypal supinely cave in to government pressure and withhold financial and network services from WikiLeaks, to see Senator Joseph Lieberman threatening the New York Times with legal action for having behaved like a bad ‘citizen’ in publishing WikiLeaks’s revelations, to read about the original leaker, Pvt Bradley Manning, spending 23 hours a day in solitary confinement for months on end without having been convicted, is to watch a liberal democracy consume itself in public view. To look on as the country that made the Internet possible, that made digital information the connective tissue of the contemporary world, wages war against a website is to witness a great nation lose its sense of itself.

The article analyzes American dominance during the first decade of this century.  Read it here -

http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/a-decadeimperial -decline/419487/

Season's Greetings and Happy New Year to all.

Mukul
Mukul M. Mittal
http://www.druflon.com

MDM,

« Reply #200 on: December 25, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »

Ideally the secrets that the government could and IMO should keep (during a real war) would have to do with secret weapons, to avoid that the enemy gets them as well or before... or it would have to do with planned military attacks, so that the army is not in danger.

these kinds of things should obviously be kept out of newspapers.

but the problem here is the exploitation of this principle and the distortion of it's meaning.

when G.W.Bush was making laws to take away citizen's freedom he did it with the excuse that he was trying to protect citizens from terrorists, who are in effect the enemy..

but it's an enemy that is likely fabricated by the military anyway so it's not really a war of any kind anyway if that's true.
I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy .. in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry and music.
John Adams (1735-1826) 2nd President, United States

Bill_Urick

« Reply #201 on: December 25, 2010, 09:04:15 PM »

MDM, wrote on Sat, 25 December 2010 20:32

I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy .. in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry and music.
John Adams (1735-1826) 2nd President, United States

Max, this is a lovely sentiment but the study of "politics and war" is unfortunately necessary if we are to have the liberty to study mathematics, philosophy, painting, poetry and music. Without a radical change in our species I fear this will be true for the foreseeable future.

Quote:

but it's an enemy that is likely fabricated by the military anyway so it's not really a war of any kind anyway if that's true.

I would be willing (not happy) to cite a number of recent events that might disprove the "fabricated by the military" theory. I will, however, wait until tomorrow since today is a day to celebrate a birth, not a day to catalog death.
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Les Ismore

« Reply #202 on: December 26, 2010, 02:09:10 PM »

I must study war, so my children can study war, so my children's children can study war.

That is if any of them survive.
Pete Honychurch - Fluid Sound
http://www.myspace.com/PeteHonychurch

Fibes

« Reply #203 on: December 26, 2010, 04:37:05 PM »

Back in College all of Ass's friends chased everything that moved, he on the other hand doesn't limit himself. Next the reports he loved her from the top of her head to the

tag on her toe.

My apologies to Emo Phillips AKA JJ Blair

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Tidewater

« Reply #204 on: December 27, 2010, 10:25:39 AM »

Rolling Eyes

Twisted Evil
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 21 queries.