R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Wickileaks-A Watershed Moment  (Read 48504 times)

sui-city

Re: Wickileaks-A Watershed Moment
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2010, 12:22:39 PM »

Gio,

If you can watch this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rXPrfnU3G0, and not feel disgusted by it, then no matter your opinion of JA, I recommend you ask yourself why you are unmoved.

And to accept that this is justified, by the people who lead our countries, not just the USA, but many countries, as a part of war, shows that there is something severely wrong in all of us.

This needs to be exposed. It is what journalism was. Only now the tools have changed.

Gio wrote on Sat, 11 December 2010 18:06

Assange is no hero. Just another cyber brat who happened to illegally obtain information that did not belong to him, distribute it, then had his cronies mount cyber terrorist attacks against others for not kissing his ass.

Is any of this stuff he exposed actually "news" to anyone?

Who appointed him "Monitor of the World"?

Tidewater

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2010, 05:24:27 PM »

Paul Cavins wrote on Fri, 10 December 2010 21:17

It is about ideas, not big piles of resources being grabbed.

PC

I am not going to be taking any shots in this thread about a traitorous piece of shit committing espionage, I just wanted to hug Paul for being awesome.

(((Paul)))
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

Tidewater

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2010, 05:26:30 PM »

Gio wrote on Sat, 11 December 2010 11:06

Assange is no hero. Just another cyber brat who happened to illegally obtain information that did not belong to him, distribute it, then had his cronies mount cyber terrorist attacks against others for not kissing his ass.

Ok, and Gio is also a thinker. (bows)

Kassonica

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2010, 07:01:29 PM »

Gio wrote on Sun, 12 December 2010 03:06

Is any of this stuff he exposed actually "news" to anyone?

Who appointed him "Monitor of the World"?

Your understanding of Julian Assange and wikileaks is quite underwhelming.....

Mark Ludwig

Should have been a Drummer

Gio

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2010, 07:04:24 PM »

Jay Kadis wrote on Sat, 11 December 2010 11:28

Yes, to many people it IS news.  It exposes a pattern of duplicity that undermines our political standing in the world.

If by that you mean exposing our current administration's lack of "transparency" they promised, then I agree. Twisted Evil  

The U.S. is not, of course, the only country on the planet that practices this kind of duplicity, and I somehow doubt the world could survive with an "I'll take your word for it" policy between nations.
Giovanni Fusco

On Staff Here

My Place

Press record. Enjoy!

Gio

« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2010, 07:06:24 PM »

Kassonica wrote on Sat, 11 December 2010 19:01

Your understanding of Julian Assange and wikileaks is quite underwhelming.....

Perhaps because I find the idea of wikileaks underwhelming.....
Giovanni Fusco

On Staff Here

My Place

Press record. Enjoy!

Gio

« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2010, 07:58:02 PM »

sui-city wrote on Sat, 11 December 2010 12:22

Gio,

If you can watch this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rXPrfnU3G0, and not feel disgusted by it, then no matter your opinion of JA, I recommend you ask yourself why you are unmoved.

And to accept that this is justified, by the people who lead our countries, not just the USA, but many countries, as a part of war, shows that there is something severely wrong in all of us.

This needs to be exposed. It is what journalism was. Only now the tools have changed.

Sui-city,

The very fact that acts of war continue suggests that something is severely wrong in all of us. Again, atrocious as that event is, it is not news, and that was my point. "Safe" wars where only military personnel are killed is the stuff of TV and movies. Am I disgusted by it? Sure. But it's a stretch to think that innocents will not be killed, whether intentional or not. I've never been in combat, so I don't know what it would be like. I imagine there are those who play by the rules, and those who's own mental deficiencies override any rational thinking.....
Giovanni Fusco

On Staff Here

My Place

Press record. Enjoy!

Tidewater

« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2010, 10:31:14 PM »

Humanity is foul. It's made of people.

We need a committee.

Gio

« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2010, 11:15:07 PM »

Tidewater wrote on Sat, 11 December 2010 22:31

Humanity is foul. It's made of people.

You're my hero.
Giovanni Fusco

On Staff Here

My Place

Press record. Enjoy!

Bill_Urick

« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2010, 06:48:04 AM »

If you guys are gonna start making out, I'm moving to another thread...
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Jay Kadis

« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2010, 11:43:23 AM »

Gio wrote on Sat, 11 December 2010 16:04

Jay Kadis wrote on Sat, 11 December 2010 11:28

Yes, to many people it IS news.  It exposes a pattern of duplicity that undermines our political standing in the world.

If by that you mean exposing our current administration's lack of "transparency" they promised, then I agree. Twisted Evil  

The U.S. is not, of course, the only country on the planet that practices this kind of duplicity, and I somehow doubt the world could survive with an "I'll take your word for it" policy between nations.

What goes around comes around.  Are you duplicitous in your day-to-day dealings?  I bet not.  So why should governments be any different?

The current administration is less opaque that the previous one, but that's comparing it to a black hole.

Samc

« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2010, 12:05:24 PM »

Paul Cavins wrote on Thu, 09 December 2010 01:16

As much as we may have issues with the way our leaders behave, at least they are elected. Nobody elected Assange, he doesn't answer to anyone or anything except for his punk-ass conscience or lack thereof.

Wikileaks' actions only heighten the "need" for MORE control of the internet.

He is a worthless prick.

I suppose the fact that the politicians were elected gives them the right to lie to you and the rest of the country.  who do they (the politicians) answer to by the way?  Will they ever be brought to justice for lying to the country or for any other crimes they may have committed?

I find it interesting that you would put those same lying, conniving politicians in control of the internet.

Those lying assholes broke their oath of office, but he's the worthless prick....
Sam Clayton

Samc

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2010, 12:28:53 PM »

Hallams wrote on Fri, 10 December 2010 22:13

The calls by congressmen and people in positions of power in the USA to have Julian Assange killed are an indictment to their nation and a sad example of the morally corrupt attitude their comments represent. Making a threat to murder is an offense in Australia and as these people are making a threat to murder an Australian citizen they should face extradition orders to face the charge in an Australian court of law.
That Americans see as a legitimate exercise in the protection of its interests, the Murder of citizens from other countries not engaged in legitimate or illegitimate war (another story altogether) is the pits and i'm sure many decent Americans bear the shame of such an attitude with dismay and despair.

I totally agree wit this and find their behavior disgusting and shameful...
Sam Clayton

Paul Cavins

« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2010, 12:58:24 PM »

Sam, I DO NOT WANT the gubmint in control of the internet!! How many times do I have to say it?

Assange types are behaving in ways that force the issue about "needing" central powers to control the internet. I don't want that to happen.

The point about people being elected is that they can be unelected.

jonathan jetter

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2010, 01:14:17 PM »

Paul Cavins wrote on Sun, 12 December 2010 12:58

The point about people being elected is that they can be unelected.

can they?  can they really?

http://www.opensecrets.org/bigpicture/reelect.php

in response to your other points about Assange forcing the issue.....i would say that liberty is always taken away piecemeal until the issue is forced.

America once had to buy all its tea from the East India Company until a bunch of "terrorists" dumped it in the river.

Martin Luther King Jr.'s pacifist approach became a lot more effective once Malcolm X stepped up with something more severe.

if, leaving aside your other thoughts in the validity of Wikileaks, the "powers that be" decide they need to "control" the internet due to Julian Assange's actions, then that is not an indictment of Wikileaks.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 19 queries.