R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Save PBS--the band, not Public Broadcasting  (Read 3770 times)

ktownson

Save PBS--the band, not Public Broadcasting
« on: December 08, 2010, 04:02:06 PM »

Brian Stoltz is a friend from many years back. Helluva guitarist, good guy, fine writer and musician who, like so many very talented people, has made a living playing music but has never really broken into the big time.

He's played and recorded with The Neville Brothers, Funky Meters, Bob Dylan, Edie Brickell, and has, for years, played in a funk/jam band with George Porter Jr. (bassist of The Meters) and Russell Batiste (of one of the most famous musical families in New Orleans and plays with a number of local acts), collectively, Porter Batiste Stoltz, or PBS.

The trio is in legal trouble. Details are here:  http://www.savepbs.org/  (emphasis on "org, otherwise you get a website regarding public broadcasting)

Homes and recording royalties are at stake. Anyone who has an appreciation for the legacy of New Orleans funk is encouraged to take a look and, if possible, make a donation for the defense fund.

index.php/fa/15968/0/
"World Boogie is coming." James Luther Dickinson

Kris

Re: Save PBS--the band, not Public Broadcasting
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 10:15:27 AM »

I've always been a big fan of those guys.  I checked the site and don't see any info as to why they are getting sued?  Do they have a leg to stand on legally?  I hope so!

ktownson

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 12:13:45 PM »

Haven't talked to Brian in a while, so I don't know details. I know the dispute is with a former management company, and I'm sure there's a a ton of horror stories from forumites on the subject.

Brian lives in a small two bedroom home in Slidell, nothing fancy. He's got world-class talent and credentials but has never really hit it big enough to be financially secure.

I do get the feeling the lawsuit is punitive, and unfortunately, if you can't afford to defend yourself, you lose.

New Orleans is a tough, tough place to make a living in the music business.  

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 11:58:43 AM »

Hi,

Are there any links to the actual lawsuit filed against them?

My dad, a lawyer, R.I.P., got many a musician out of hot water with their own management.

Most of the time it was simply musicians NOT FULLY READING THE CONTRACT before signing it.

What actually happened here? Why is the lawsuit going forth? Is it one merit, or is there a possible situation where it can be dismissed with proof?

Since there is no link to any actual information, it is hard to decide what is happening here, or how to help.

I do not mean to put a wet blanket on their situation, just trying to get some facts first.

Cheers
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

ktownson

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 05:43:43 PM »

Nick, I don't know. There is a link on the site to an email address that is answered by a lawyer doing pro bono work for the guys. I'm just trying to help spread the word.

What I do know is that legalese is often difficult to decipher, even for lawyers, and what passes for entertainment attornies down here is not always top-notch. Did they sign a bad deal? I don't know, but I'd like to see them have a fighting chance to defend themselves.

Also, you know that many lawsuits are often "bullying," where the plaintiff ask for the moon, puts the squeeze on defendants who cannot really afford legal representation, and pressures them to settle for less. If you cannot at least represent yourself (and this is a civil matter, where you do not have court-appointed lawyer guarantees) then you lose.

I also know that Brian's no babe in the woods. He's been in the business since he was a teenager (in his 50's now), he spent years with the Neville Brothers who could write volumes about getting screwed by the business, so I can't imagine he's naive.

Porter, Jr. should know better than anyone about the dark side of the business. Sehorn and Toussaint worked the Meters over pretty good back in the day. I don't know Russell Batiste at all, but he comes from a prominent N.O. musical family--he's heard the stories, too. I doubt any of them signed anything blindly.

ktownson

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 07:05:13 PM »

http://blogs.masslawyersweekly.com/news/2010/06/29/judge-new -orleans-band-must-give-up-money-from-the-funk/

I did find this about the lawsuit.

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 01:18:54 AM »

Yep, that sure looks like a big mess.

Bad Accounting Practices, LLC...

It seems to me that is Stoltz has already agreed to a proposal, then it might get resolved in a better way than just "losing everything".

It says right there that there is already an escrow account to hold potential monies for damages, if they are incurred during sentencing.

I only can state from my own experience with one family member which had a manager and a recording contract, that you really need to know your manager better than your wife, as he or she can cost you more should things go south.

Logical
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 19 queries.