R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Working at home  (Read 13519 times)

MoreSpaceEcho

Re: Working at home
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2010, 10:23:16 AM »

that would be an awful lot of running.

cass anawaty

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2010, 10:41:04 AM »

MoreSpaceEcho wrote on Tue, 21 December 2010 15:23

that would be an awful lot of running.

Small price to pay to be a good world citizen.  I was going to suggest moving to Amish country and using a horse and buggy.
Cass Anawaty, Chief Engineer
Sunbreak Music, LLC
High Resolution Stereo Mastering
www.sunbreakmusic.com

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2010, 12:08:34 PM »

JGreenslade wrote on Tue, 21 December 2010 06:33

Not sure about the 20-minute drive, though. You should make it your New Year's resolution to ditch the car and run to and from work. After a few months of that, just think how fit you'd be!

Everyone has their reasons for why they drive, ride, or walk to work.

Happy Christmas -JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

MoreSpaceEcho

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2010, 12:31:27 PM »

presumably people drive because they feel 50 miles of running every day might be a bit excessive.

JGreenslade

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2010, 06:10:21 PM »

For what it's worth, I tend to drive to work. I wasn't being serious. If I ran everywhere instead of driving, what I'd save on fuel I'd easily lose on physio bills.

Mind you, vigorous cardiovascular exercise really clears out the tubes. You'd arrive at work with crisp hearing :)

Justin
Audio is a vocational affliction

"there is no "homeopathic" effect in bits and bytes." - HansP

Silvertone

« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2010, 07:37:31 AM »

lowland wrote on Mon, 20 December 2010 08:22

Silvertone wrote on Mon, 20 December 2010 13:28

the only thing musical in my home besides my stereo is my Musicman Stingray bass, my Chapman Stick and a small Ampeg B12.

OT: Can't be a lot of MEs with a Stick, I should think. When I used to record etc. I spent many happy days working with Nick Beggs - a fascinating instrument played by one of the funniest and nicest people you could hope to meet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapman_Stick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Beggs

I think I'm the only Stick playing mastering engineer.  Levin loves coming to me for that reason.  We've know each other since my touring days but I would never ask for his business until about 5 years ago... stupid me, I should have asked a long time ago... maybe I'd be mastering Peter Gabriel and King Crimson by now if I had.

I'm aware of Nick,  what a fantastic Stick player... I only wish I was that good.  Tough instrument and with my arthritis now I don't think I'll ever "master" that instrument... but been trying for 30 years!

Check out Levins last album called Stickmen... two Chapman Stick players and Pat Mastelotto on drums... they bow the stick and do things I've never heard done with one before.  Just unbelievable stick playing from Daniel in the band. Makes Tony look like he just picked up the instrument.

I use to hate my commute when I lived in the Bay area... I was so tense by the time I got to the studio that I wanted to kill... of course this was after being shot at on the highway, which was kind of popular "thing" to do in California during the 80's!

I don't miss the commute at all and because I work by myself 95% of the time... I have plenty of quite introspective time to myself, too much in fact.

As my tech says when I get on the phone with him... "Larry, you could talk a dog off a meat truck"...
Larry DeVivo
Silvertone Mastering, Inc.
PO Box 4582
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
www.silvertonemastering.com
To see some of our work please click on any of the visual trailer montages located at... http://robertetoll.com/  (all music and sound effects were mastered by Silvertone Mastering).

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2010, 09:10:41 AM »

Silvertone wrote on Wed, 22 December 2010 06:37

I think I'm the only Stick playing mastering engineer.

I spent a couple weeks wrestling with one back in the 80s, finally decided it wasn't for me.

Sort of like deciding to take up the pedal steel guitar, or string bass, it's an all consuming lifestyle choice!

I felt kinda like that when I decided to adopt Sonic a few years ago, got totally obsessed, now it's easy as pie.

Quote:

I work by myself 95% of the time... I have plenty of quite introspective time to myself, too much in fact.

As my tech says when I get on the phone with him... "Larry, you could talk a dog off a meat truck"...

Funny how those that work unattended like to talk a lot, those of us that work mostly attended are looking for some quiet time : - )

Cheers, JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

MoreSpaceEcho

« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2010, 04:01:41 PM »

almost all my sessions are unattended, and yeah, on the attended ones i talk A LOT. clients always seem to like to talk too, so those sessions take forever, but it's cool, part of the gig IMO.

quick cute story: client showed up with his (very young, very attractive) girlfriend. he was sitting up front with me, his lady was hanging back on the couch. at some point i'm blathering on about my recent infatuation with def leppard's "hysteria" (no joke)....
client asks "when was that released?"
i reply "it came out in 1987."
his girl pipes up from the couch "I came out in 1987!"

we laughed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 22 queries.