R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Working at home  (Read 13521 times)

Thomas W. Bethel

Re: Working at home
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 10:58:34 AM »

Bender Mastering wrote on Mon, 13 December 2010 09:36

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I've moved today and this is my first day in the new room, at home.

It feels good and as someone said before I already noticed that "the fridge has been calling me"... And also the Nespresso machine!

Other than that everything has been "normal" with the exception of me wearing slippers instead of shoes/sneakers.

Great news!!! I am sure you will feel the change even more in a couple of months.
-TOM-

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 11:35:30 AM »

I love mine.

Been there for over two years.

It does get some time to get used to the workflow being slightly different.

I have one word :

Discipline.

Logical
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

William Bowden

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 12:55:24 AM »

I have a separate building at the bottom of the garden, a kind of dream shed if you like. I have worked at home for 9 years now and never regret it, except perhaps the night I agreed to work back late with a band that got a bit drunk and called out 'goodbye' to my wife as they were leaving.

Never had any neighbour complaints though, many in fact have asked what it is I do.

I think it's the way of the future frankly, and not having to deal with a landlord is fantastic. All you have to do is keep the mortgage going, which you'd have to do anyway. I'm not going to show my wife that picture of the swimming pool - things like that give her ideas, though I do like the unmarked graves that adorn the periphery!

The King

bruno putzeys

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 07:07:19 AM »

I live upstairs, the lab's downstairs. I have another colleague working here and that does help to keep the discipline. The best of both worlds.
Warp Drive. Tractor Beam. Room Correction. Whatever.

Affiliations: Hypex, Grimm Audio.

JGreenslade

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 08:36:21 AM »

Don't you guys ever suspect you'd get more work if your premises were near where music businesses are based? I appreciate that the Internet age has revolutionised things, but if you have an office in an area where there are plenty of studios / live venues / rehearsal spaces, couldn't one argue you'd get more work due to being in the front of musicians / label staff's minds, and generally getting to know them whilst queing at the sandwich counter?

If you can afford to live in an area that has plenty of musicians coming and going, then you get the best of both worlds.  

Justin
Audio is a vocational affliction

"there is no "homeopathic" effect in bits and bytes." - HansP

lowland

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 09:54:26 AM »

JGreenslade wrote on Tue, 14 December 2010 13:36

Don't you guys ever suspect you'd get more work if your premises were near where music businesses are based? I appreciate that the Internet age has revolutionised things, but if you have an office in an area where there are plenty of studios / live venues / rehearsal spaces, couldn't one argue you'd get more work due to being in the front of musicians / label staff's minds, and generally getting to know them whilst queing at the sandwich counter?

If you can afford to live in an area that has plenty of musicians coming and going, then you get the best of both worlds.  

Justin

I think there's something in that, though where I am has quite a lively provincial music and studio scene. All I can say is that, for me, the advantages of working from home... well, there's no contest.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
Essex, UK
www.lowlandmasters.com

Dave Davis

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 08:31:46 AM »

I've done both, and currently take a hybrid approach... I have a small, comfy editing space at home where I can top/tail and deliver projects, and rely on my old space at QCA for critical listening/processing and access to more outboard.  For unattended work (the majority of my projects) I can do 1/2 to 2/3 of  the work at my house, but when clients are involved I can maintain my privacy and home life.  

I'll note that working at home really does require more discipline. 15 years ago I had a home-based mastering room in a different house, and eventually moved to a dedicated space because I found focus a challenge.  Now it seems like there's enough separation between work space and living space that I can escape either under the same roof, and maybe I'm more disciplined with age. Wink

Anyway, the current arrangement provides me with the best of both worlds.

Rick O'neil

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2010, 10:03:33 PM »

i have been working from home for half of this year while we build the new place,
i have the same gear , same clients but i dont do attended sessions ATM its all set up very nicely  sounds great works great

but frankly its not for me , i can see the attraction dollar wise  for sure
but its never really been about money  has it ?

i like to GO to work  and i like to Come  home
weirdly i like the time in the car by myself  on the way to and from as well
even with the travel and the extra expenses  there is something about having two lives in one day  i seem to be settled on .

i dont know how you guys do it really - more power to you
Rick
turtlerockmastering.com
"i think we went to different schools together"

Ben F

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 10:55:16 PM »

The new house I have moved into has a basement that is just screaming 'music room'! I have never been that productive at home but would love a set up separate to the house like Willy. The biggest problem for me would be clients and late nights, I actually like some quiet time away from home as well...

The studio is really only 10 minutes drive from home, it's just on those late nights you sometimes get an idea it would be great to just walk out the back, turn on the gear and get started.

dcollins

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2010, 01:47:11 AM »

Rick O'neil wrote on Sun, 19 December 2010 19:03

even with the travel and the extra expenses  there is something about having two lives in one day  i seem to be settled on .

I agree completely.

DC

Rick O'neil

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 03:41:48 AM »

you feeling all right dave...? Smile

i should add a at least third life into the story
i have a small  fishing boat so some nights on a whim  i dont go  straight home at all after work especially if its been one of THOSE records

I take the boat  that i keep at work out of the downstairs  carpark   and head down  5 mins down the road to a boat ramp and  into sydney harbour and fish until the early hours of the morning , mostly alone but sometime with a buddy , i do it  one night a week  most weeks , weather and family stuff permitting

i used to drink..... now i fish  Smile

Rick
turtlerockmastering.com

Silvertone

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2010, 08:28:00 AM »

Rick O'neil wrote on Sun, 19 December 2010 21:03

i have been working from home for half of this year while we build the new place,
i have the same gear , same clients but i dont do attended sessions ATM its all set up very nicely  sounds great works great

but frankly its not for me , i can see the attraction dollar wise  for sure
but its never really been about money  has it ?

i dont know how you guys do it really - more power to you

Quite easy to do... I go to work and I come home.  That my commute is 40 feet away is no different really.  Once I leave the building I'm done.  No ringing phone, no projects to look at and the only thing musical in my home besides my stereo is my Musicman Stingray bass, my Chapman Stick and a small Ampeg B12... see at home I'm still a musician while at work I'm a mastering engineer.

No more "discipline" to this really than being a mastering engineer in general.  Anal retentive lot that we are.

The benefit is two fold.  If I choose to work more... it's right there... and if my wife ever throws me out, I have a place to live!

After owning 5 commercial facilities from coast to coast I'll never pay anybody but myself rent. I myself love it... especially when my wife and all her friends are sunbathing by the pool!  A third benefit!
Larry DeVivo
Silvertone Mastering, Inc.
PO Box 4582
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
www.silvertonemastering.com
To see some of our work please click on any of the visual trailer montages located at... http://robertetoll.com/  (all music and sound effects were mastered by Silvertone Mastering).

Rick O'neil

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2010, 08:46:55 AM »

oh make no mistake larry , i understand why you do it
some of the advantages are bleeding obvious

its the 2nd  no 3rd time i have tried it for a while and i am sure
its not for me .. something just doesnt sit right .

maybe its cause my wife could  not spot my quadeights  or pultecs  in a police line up Smile
Rick
turtlerockmastering.com

Darius van H

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 09:00:04 AM »

My studio is a 15 minute drive / 35 minute cycle ride from home (no, i don't drive slowly or cycle fast!  if i drive i have to take the city ring, whereas if i cycle i can go straight through the city centre)

Ideally i think i'd like to have the studio a 5 minute walk from home.

Rick O'neil

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 09:13:46 AM »

my place was an inner city  five minute walk for many years until my wife moved me to the lush green trees and parks  of the suburbs .

but i have grown to enjoy the commute ..  great time to listen to the radio Smile
i could NEVER do that at home , kids dinner, dog etc

Rick
turtlerockmastering.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.