R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: All CD players dying?  (Read 7101 times)

sodderboy

All CD players dying?
« on: December 08, 2010, 06:54:27 AM »

I don't know what it is, but all of my HHB burners in different facilities have died after about 12 years, and HHB doe not support them with replacement parts?  HHB barely sells burners anymore.

A few Tascam +4 out players have died too, while my Sony and Denon players at home, both about 20 years old, are still going strong.

They all spin and then eject the disk, or read disk error.  Lenses are clean.  Is it a laser thing, where you can replace a component part, or, because of lack of support, are they all just junk?  It just does not seem right to spend $130 to fix a Tascam CD player. . . .
Mike

KB_S1

Re: All CD players dying?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 07:04:48 AM »

I guess burners must have a harder time than just readers?

Will it be down to focusing?
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

amorris

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 08:09:50 AM »

turntable motors go. we have some cheap dvd players that continuously spin and they die right around 1 year of constant use. and its the motor. so that my benchmark. better machines should do better, but 12 years of regular use sounds pretty good. the motors are available in japan with orders in the thousands. group buy? ha ha. cheaper for us to buy $49 new ones. there has to be a repair shop that has them. you just have to find out what motor it is and cross ref what consumer model would have the same or equiv.

bruno putzeys

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 08:19:55 AM »

Laser diodes tend to lose efficiency over time. Often you can squeeze an extra year out of them by increasing diode current but however you slice it when it's downhill it's downhill. And whether you can simply turn up the juice on a burner is doubtful.
Warp Drive. Tractor Beam. Room Correction. Whatever.

Affiliations: Hypex, Grimm Audio.

ssltech

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 09:24:58 AM »

KB_S1 wrote

Will it be down to focusing?

...I'm sorry... -what?

Razz

On Sony players, it's just about always the spindle motor. The motors are made by Mabuchi, you can disassemble one and you'll see that the brushes are about as thin as human hair, and they die.

With CD burners in general, they usually to get to the point where they can still read pressed discs, but not follow the 'track' in recordable discs.

The HHB ones were (I think I recall) based on Marantz modules which Marantz cycled out of production years ago. I certainly haven't been able to get parts for them.

At home, I burn to a data burner with toast, and treat the CD burner as a disposable object. -Supporting stand-alone recorders for any length of time -given that the OEM suppliers work on such short production cycles- is a concept which I abandoned some time ago.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

sodderboy

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 07:56:48 PM »

Too bad.  It's true in the new rooms I build they don't want any "CD player" because they can jack in a laptop for CD's or an MP3.
But I still have patients who want CD players so I'll just buy new.  The old units do not play or anything.  They had their life in the nineties.  Same with the DAT machines.  They are just atrophying away after, hopefully, all the tapes are archived.
Time to pop Jethro Tull in my bench 122.  She never lets me down!
Mike

amorris

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 09:10:33 AM »

internal CD burners are basically free. I found "SuperDrive" CD burners online (not ebay but in the box) for $17.00. and the DVD ones are now going for $44.00.

MagnetoSound

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 09:15:12 AM »

sodderboy wrote on Thu, 09 December 2010 00:56

Time to pop Jethro Tull in my bench 122.  She never lets me down!

Mike, is this a euphemism?  Very Happy

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

compasspnt

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 09:27:50 AM »

122s will outlive all of us.

Put together.

Larrchild

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 01:51:01 PM »

At the radio station I worked at for a few years, all the HHB burners failed in the bldg within 1 year. Can't find 1X drives anymore, they said at HHB.
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

Barry Hufker

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 02:39:34 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Thu, 09 December 2010 08:27

122s will outlive all of us.

What's a 122?

Barry

Jay Kadis

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 02:43:25 PM »

122 - Tascam cassette recorder.

Tascam is still able to replace the transports in their CD-RW700s as of last month.  Hmmm, maybe they are all dying.

marcel

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 11:30:59 PM »

My Masterlink's CD drive is in the process of caving as we speak, but IIRC I think I can just get an 'internal' unit and swap it out.  Am I correct?  Any other standalone units have this feature?
Best, Marcel
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 21 queries.