R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DAW just died  (Read 3160 times)

OTR-jkl

DAW just died
« on: December 07, 2010, 11:40:26 PM »

My 7 yr old P4 machine just died (probably the mobo) since replacing the PSU did not ressurect it. I'm looking into replacing it with a current model (probably an i5/Win7 Pro setup).

Does anyone know if Samplitude v9Pro will run in Win7? I understand that Win7 Pro has an XP mode. Will that enable Samp v9Pro to run on that machine? My version (the latest update) says its compatible w/Vista but its older than Win7....

Thanks.
JL
J Lowes · OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

domc

Re: DAW just died
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 01:32:02 AM »

I am running samp 11 on win 7 64 bit - not sure on samp 9 though
Domc

Mastering Engineer
Dominic McGlinn B.Mus.T. (Hons)

Margate, QLD
+61421961641

www.domc.com.au
dom@domc.com.au

Patrik T

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 08:34:01 AM »

My 7 year old DAW died from having a cooling-thingy falling off the mobo. Seemed it would not start until the cooling-thingy was secured in its place again.

Have you checked that not anything is loose or on the way to release itself from the mobo?

Best Regards
Patrik

OTR-jkl

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 11:01:40 AM »

Yeah, I took it to Fry's to have the PSU replaced and they did not see anything out of place (nor do I while poking around in it). I removed the CPU cooling fan to clean it out but need to get some of that CPU gel to put it back on before I try repowering. I'm hesitant to even plug it in right now for fear of frying the brand new Corsair PSU.

I'm told that there's an LED on the mobo somewhere when it gets power but haven't seen one lit anywhere...
J Lowes · OTR Mastering

Gold

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 11:09:40 AM »

I just installed Sequoia 10 on Windows 7 Pro 32 bit. When looking around the Samp forum it seemed the hurdle was getting the codemeter working with the 64 bit operating system. It looked like it would be a PITA or not work to switch between 32 and 64 bit and have it work on both. So I stuck with 32 bit.

I haven't put it though it's paces. It's on a laptop with no interface but it seems to be running well.

It doesn't directly answer your question. I think there are reports of older versions working fine with the 64 bit OS on the Samp forum.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

ggidluck

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 08:50:56 PM »

You could always still run Windows XP on the newer box.

Gordon Gidluck
http://live2496.com

bblackwood

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 09:20:26 PM »

ggidluck wrote on Wed, 08 December 2010 19:50

You could always still run Windows XP on the newer box.

Assuming you can find XP drivers for the newer hardware...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

OTR-jkl

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 12:42:49 AM »

Found out my Lynx L22 is good to go for Win7. Still waiting to hear from the Samp folks. Sounds like you can tell Win7 to run in XP mode which, I guess, means that any apps that require XP will be OK.

I went ahead and ordered the new box this afternoon. It will be an Intel Core i5-760 CPU on an ASUS mobo. Win7 Pro 64-bit, 4G DDR3 1333 RAM, 1TB HDD, 1G Radeon HD 6850 video card. $1100 + shipping. That's a whole lot more computer for about $150 less than the old box I bought 7 yrs ago. Amazing.

I seriously thought about building it myself and I tried and tried to find the same (or better) parts but the best I could come up with was just under $1100 which did not include any tax, shipping or my time to put it together and pull my hair out if something didn't work....not to mention a warranty.

Anyway, glad to be started down the road to recovery.....
J Lowes · OTR Mastering

bblackwood

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 08:29:58 AM »

Hey Jeff, can you give us some info on who you ordered it from?
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

OTR-jkl

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 08:49:01 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Thu, 09 December 2010 07:29

Hey Jeff, can you give us some info on who you ordered it from?

Sorry - thought about that after I submitted the post.

The company is Velocity Micro. They are located in Virginia. The box that I ordered is the advertised Vector Holiday Edition. VM allows you to customize all of their boxes and this one is not only a steal, but it has the choices that I was looking for (i5-760 CPU, ASUS mobo, Radeon graphics, etc). I would've liked to have had an Antec Sonata case and Corsair memory but I guess that'll have to wait for whenever I go to build my own someday. As I said, it is practically impossible to beat this deal even with a number of items offering rebates right now.

This is my 2nd VM computer. The first lasted 7 yrs (and I'm still not sure exactly what failed). They have great customer service and the build is very cleanly done using quality parts.

Highly recommend them.
J Lowes · OTR Mastering
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 19 queries.