R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Two Notes TORPEDO  (Read 8703 times)

Fletcher

Re: Two Notes TORPEDO
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 06:01:36 PM »

Sonicblister wrote on Wed, 08 December 2010 11:31

Can you tell me why it is unfortunate that is a convolution thing? I mean what is the negative aspect of that? Remember torpedo simulates not only the cabin but the mic as well. It really sounds more real in the clips there are around.

Uh - yeah - the "clips" are some cute marketing - BULLSHIT.

There are some things in life that can NOT be simulated by digital technology - at least at this point in 2010.  I have a real life girlfriend - there are all kinds of websites that offer digital convolution girlfriends - but I prefer the real thing.

You have some wonderful microphones - do you think that it is possible to recreate those microphone's "tone" or "texture" through a digital program?  If you do - sell the damn things and get the software!!!

Every speaker cabinet is "different" -- every microphone is "different" -- and most importantly -- every microphone "POSITION" will net different results -- in different rooms -- with different amplifiers, amp settings [do I need to go on - and provide the myriad of additional parameters that can NOT be truly recreated - in 2010 - in the digital domain?],

Look - I'm sure its a fine "writing" tool - and I'm sure there will be people who use the product for success and gain ---- BUT are you interested in "recording" the best guitar sounds possible? ...or is your interest in applying some software that will get you sorta close to something that might kinda work for what you're doing.

Maybe I'm just afraid that all I've learned in the last 30+ years is dead knowledge and that the sounds I've worked most of my life to capture can now come out of a box -- or maybe those sounds really can't come out of a box [at least not in 2010] and maybe the "emulation" won't live up to "the real experience" -- sorta like a woman you can make appear on the internet can't quite cook breakfast as well as the one I will wake up with in the morning.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Sonicblister

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 07:55:54 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Wed, 08 December 2010 17:01

Sonicblister wrote on Wed, 08 December 2010 11:31

Can you tell me why it is unfortunate that is a convolution thing? I mean what is the negative aspect of that? Remember torpedo simulates not only the cabin but the mic as well. It really sounds more real in the clips there are around.

Uh - yeah - the "clips" are some cute marketing - BULLSHIT.

There are some things in life that can NOT be simulated by digital technology - at least at this point in 2010.  I have a real life girlfriend - there are all kinds of websites that offer digital convolution girlfriends - but I prefer the real thing.

You have some wonderful microphones - do you think that it is possible to recreate those microphone's "tone" or "texture" through a digital program?  If you do - sell the damn things and get the software!!!

Every speaker cabinet is "different" -- every microphone is "different" -- and most importantly -- every microphone "POSITION" will net different results -- in different rooms -- with different amplifiers, amp settings [do I need to go on - and provide the myriad of additional parameters that can NOT be truly recreated - in 2010 - in the digital domain?],

Look - I'm sure its a fine "writing" tool - and I'm sure there will be people who use the product for success and gain ---- BUT are you interested in "recording" the best guitar sounds possible? ...or is your interest in applying some software that will get you sorta close to something that might kinda work for what you're doing.

Maybe I'm just afraid that all I've learned in the last 30+ years is dead knowledge and that the sounds I've worked most of my life to capture can now come out of a box -- or maybe those sounds really can't come out of a box [at least not in 2010] and maybe the "emulation" won't live up to "the real experience" -- sorta like a woman you can make appear on the internet can't quite cook breakfast as well as the one I will wake up with in the morning.

Peace.

I totally agree man, and i believe the same. Even thought i like to test and know about equipment, and generally thought my small experience there are things that are not really good, but can be a great asset in some concepts.
Nor i did  expect to be better or even close. I was thinking thought, that for the next year, my room is not great, it is shit, and there are bands that i already record, that even thought i want to, i cannot afford to record them with 50000euros equipment when i charge them 500-3000 euros. (unfortunately i have to do this range as well.) So this thingy or an axe fx ultra would make my life easy.
The guitars WE were talking about, is another matter. I would never put this equipment for my guitar job. i would only use it in small projects, and demos of bands. My job after all is not recording full bands, but only guitars. So i am upon 2 things with almost the same machinery, but i do not care or want to spent or risk the same both. One is the guitar job, there i want only the best, and the other are regular bands that are already happy with the sound i provide.
I probably not gonna buy that stuff, but a palmer or a motherload that are cheap and reliable for what i need atm.

I hope i make sense.
Sound is absolute. You just dont get it.

Seb Riou

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 03:57:49 AM »

With 2500

Sonicblister

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 08:08:11 AM »

Seb Riou wrote on Thu, 09 December 2010 02:57

With 2500
Sound is absolute. You just dont get it.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up