R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two Notes TORPEDO  (Read 8698 times)

Sonicblister

Two Notes TORPEDO
« on: December 06, 2010, 01:45:55 PM »

Hi.
I am wondering if anyone has come across this device the premisses to simulate the speaker cabinet along with the microphone. It is a piece that is fairly expensive 2500euro.

I own expensive microphones and some amazing cabinets, but i cant resist wondering how nice it would be to have something that does the job so fast, at least as a secondary option after the good old mics and the huge cabins.

thnx
constantine
Sound is absolute. You just dont get it.

Bubba#$%Kron

Re: Two Notes TORPEDO
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 04:27:12 PM »

It would be crazy and stupid to buy something like that in my opinion.  Especially if you already own good gear.  If you think some engineer in Asia has figured out how to recreate and match the laws of physics, we would be time traveling right now.  Nothing is as good as pushing real air!! But to each his own!!!
"When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. If that were the purpose of music then obviously the fastest players would be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are not aiming to arrive at a particular place on the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we play music the playing itself is the point."  -Alan Watts

Sonicblister

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 05:01:42 PM »

Bubba Kron wrote on Mon, 06 December 2010 15:27

It would be crazy and stupid to buy something like that in my opinion.  Especially if you already own good gear.  If you think some engineer in Asia has figured out how to recreate and match the laws of physics, we would be time traveling right now.  Nothing is as good as pushing real air!! But to each his own!!!

If i didnt know your good intentions, i would have to say that you are ignorant, since you are describing FRANCE as an asian country. Obviously it is a mistake, and you are honest.
Further more, it is obvious that this would be different that pushing real air. That is a fact. In the other hand, I would wait and give the credit of doubt to this company and believe that this machine does its job, until someone that has tried it can comment with more preciseness.
Unfortunately for me and everybody else that is lazy like me, what you say is the case, and this equipment would be useless to someone that has decent gear.
I wait to have a demo unit. I hope the company will provide one. I contact them and I am going to contact again the greek distributor so that they provide the torpedo and i will run some ''tests''. Until then, their clips are interesting. Not better than the real thing.
I also have to say, that shure sm57 is a very low quality and cheap microphone, especially compared to a royer r122 v. If you asked me  ( flameshuit on), If i could i would erase this mic and its annoying sound from the world, and i would pretend it never existed. Still, thousands record amazing guitar sounds with that.
So very roughly i would say that we can provide amazing sounds with ''handicapped''equipment. That is what i am looking for in this torpedo. I never believed it can replicate physics, rather produce amazing ( since it is so expensive ) quality of sounds that could be used creatively.
If it does that, then it would be a pure success.

thnx for your answer.
Please feel free to help me out again, i need all the help i can get.

constantine Very Happy  Very Happy

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 05:34:07 PM »

Sonicblister wrote on Mon, 06 December 2010 14:01

If i didnt know your good intentions, i would have to say that you are ignorant, since you are describing FRANCE as an asian country. Obviously it is a mistake, and you are honest.
Further more, it is obvious that this would be different that pushing real air. That is a fact. In the other hand, I would wait and give the credit of doubt to this company and believe that this machine does its job, until someone that has tried it can comment with more preciseness.
Unfortunately for me and everybody else that is lazy like me, what you say is the case, and this equipment would be useless to someone that has decent gear.
I wait to have a demo unit. I hope the company will provide one. I contact them and I am going to contact again the greek distributor so that they provide the torpedo and i will run some ''tests''. Until then, their clips are interesting. Not better than the real thing.
I also have to say, that shure sm57 is a very low quality and cheap microphone, especially compared to a royer r122 v. If you asked me  ( flameshuit on), If i could i would erase this mic and its annoying sound from the world, and i would pretend it never existed. Still, thousands record amazing guitar sounds with that.
So very roughly i would say that we can provide amazing sounds with ''handicapped''equipment. That is what i am looking for in this torpedo. I never believed it can replicate physics, rather produce amazing ( since it is so expensive ) quality of sounds that could be used creatively.

thnx for your answer.

If you want to give it a shot, I really hope it does do what it says it does for ya.   Ive just (personally) never found any emulation or digital recreation to come anywhere close to the real world.   But hey if your upset that a guy who glanced at a link for 15 seconds is not intimatley familiar with every production detail, then take it up with the companies web designer.  

But who am I, this might be the ONE.  The product that changes the face of music recording, truly shutting down all physical recording techniques.  Personally I would not put my money on such a bet, thats just me.  Honestly, I really hope it works for you and dont forget to report your findings here!!

Cheers, Bryan

P.S.  I use woodpeckers for active ribbon mics and coles 4040 for normal ribbon and get stellar results.  An r-122 should never  be used on ditorted guitars, and the Royer sound is very intense, too intense for me. To each his own!!!!
"When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. If that were the purpose of music then obviously the fastest players would be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are not aiming to arrive at a particular place on the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we play music the playing itself is the point."  -Alan Watts

Sonicblister

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 07:56:17 PM »

Bubba Kron wrote on Mon, 06 December 2010 16:34

Sonicblister wrote on Mon, 06 December 2010 14:01

thnx for your answer.

If you want to give it a shot, I really hope it does do what it says it does for ya.   Ive just (personally) never found any emulation or digital recreation to come anywhere close to the real world.   But hey if your upset that a guy who glanced at a link for 15 seconds is not intimatley familiar with every production detail, then take it up with the companies web designer.  

But who am I, this might be the ONE.  The product that changes the face of music recording, truly shutting down all physical recording techniques.  Personally I would not put my money on such a bet, thats just me.  Honestly, I really hope it works for you and dont forget to report your findings here!!

Cheers, Bryan

P.S.  I use woodpeckers for active ribbon mics and coles 4040 for normal ribbon and get stellar results.  An r-122 should never  be used on ditorted guitars, and the Royer sound is very intense, too intense for me. To each his own!!!!

Can u explain a bit more about the royer?
I got the r122 v and i would say it records fabulously.
The sound is in your face, the bottom end not to much but with this larger than life sound, very detailed and full mid. Of course it is dark on the front side, but allot brighter in the rear.
I cant imagine a better microphone, than this royer, honestly.
But please tell me more about your opinion upon this one...
As for the torpedo, i think i will discuss it a bit more, then buy it from thomann, record it for 20 days and then send it back and get my money back if needed. I am curious, but i cant be sure or say anything without really messing with it. I will consider it just another ''mic'' that costs 2500 euros. Just another sound that i can mix it in my guitar tracks.
constantine

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 08:30:35 PM »

I am by no means an authority on any of this, Fletcher and others here have much more experience than me.  There is no question the r-122 is a world class mic, its the first active ribbon (I think) and paved the way for stuff like the woodpecker and new active ribbons.   The phantom power on it just is just  sucking in too much sound for really heavily distorted guitars.  The r-121 will give you a smoother guitar tone because its not active.  I like coles 4038 because its a bit classier sound than royer, To me royer r-121 was very modern,hot, rich- for people wanting those sounds its a dream.  I would sample some mics, demo them and really decide inside your head what sound you want- then send them back and buy what you want off ebay.
Ive always enjoyed Pink Floyd style rich controlled but not edgy  distortion and thats why I like the stuff I do.   If you type what sounds you are going for, I bet the much smarter than me guys here could help you find speific choices!!  Its really all a matter of taste, and 90% of the battle is knowing what sound you want.

Cheers

P.S. Please dont forget to tell us what you thought of the torpedo, Im really curious!!!

Sonicblister

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 03:52:55 AM »

Bubba Kron wrote on Mon, 06 December 2010 19:30

I am by no means an authority on any of this, Fletcher and others here have much more experience than me.  There is no question the r-122 is a world class mic, its the first active ribbon (I think) and paved the way for stuff like the woodpecker and new active ribbons.   The phantom power on it just is just  sucking in too much sound for really heavily distorted guitars.  The r-121 will give you a smoother guitar tone because its not active.  I like coles 4040 because its a bit classier sound than royer, To me royer r-121 was very modern,hot, rich- for people wanting those sounds its a dream.  I would sample some mics, demo them and really decide inside your head what sound you want- then send them back and buy what you want off ebay.
Ive always enjoyed Pink Floyd style rich controlled but not edgy  distortion and thats why I like the stuff I do.   If you type what sounds you are going for, I bet the much smarter than me guys here could help you find speific choices!!  Its really all a matter of taste, and 90% of the battle is knowing what sound you want.

Cheers

P.S. Please dont forget to tell us what you thought of the torpedo, Im really curious!!!

Dont forget that the royer r 122 v is a tube mic...

Fletcher

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 12:11:13 PM »

A few things - while I've never heard of the "Torpedo" thing -- there are 2 units that are made by Palmer [German company] that will do this sort of thing fine -- there was a product from the UK that was made by a company called "Sequis" called "The Motherload" which [in my opinion] worked even better than the Palmer stuff - I don't know if its still made or not.

While I've never found either of these to work "better" than the sound of a great player with a great amp in a great room with a great microphone [follow the chain]... BUT they are often excellent [as in world's better than "amp simulator" plug-in bullshit] for fast "writing" tools.

On the Royer R-122 -- while it may not work for Bubba's applications, the fact of the matter is that the mic can work wonderfully for many in a guitar recording application.  As I work for a microphone manufacturer - I will not comment on the "Woodpecker".
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Seb Riou

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 03:37:19 PM »

The Torpedo, unlike the Plamer, is an emulation thing. In fact it's closer to a Pod (in design), but using convolution technology.

Some band actually plays with it live. A few record with it, and rave about the "authenticity" of sound.
I heard it, and thought it sounded nothing better than Ampfarm or  a Palmer. i.e : practical , but not creative.

I'd rather go Direct in console.

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 06:08:32 PM »

Sonicblister wrote on Tue, 07 December 2010 00:52

woops, my mistake- I totally got confused with the r-122!! I have never tried that one and am now curious as hell!!  Thanks for pointing that out!!!

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 06:18:41 PM »

Man I was hyper yesterday, I have to point out another mistake!!  I meant to type coles 4038 instead of coles 4040!!  Jesus I gotta get off the computer for a few days!!!
\
Cheers

Fletcher

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 07:28:04 PM »

Seb Riou wrote on Tue, 07 December 2010 15:37

Worked for Page on the song "Black Dog" -- then again I am somehow under the impression that the studio where that was recorded was Trident -- and the console was an "A-Range" [though I could very easily be very wrong!!!!!!!!!].

Sorry to hear that the "Torpedo" is a "convolution" thing -- very unfortunate.  FWIW - I like the Palmer more than ANY "convolution" / "amp farm" thing I've EVER experienced - though I liked the "Motherload" better still.

Thanks for the information - sincerely appreciated!!

Peace.
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Blackie Pawless

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 10:43:49 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Tue, 07 December 2010 18:28

Worked for Page on the song "Black Dog" -- then again I am somehow under the impression that the studio where that was recorded was Trident -- and the console was an "A-Range" [though I could very easily be very wrong!!!!!!!!!].

Pretty sure those guitars were done at Headley Grange with the mobile unit.
I remember some Page interviews saying it was DI into the mic pre completely overloaded and then into 2 1176's. Then triple tracked.
Now back to original topic.......
Scott Baggett

Sonicblister

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 11:31:58 AM »

Fletcher wrote on Tue, 07 December 2010 18:28

Sorry to hear that the "Torpedo" is a "convolution" thing -- very unfortunate.  FWIW - I like the Palmer more than ANY "convolution" / "amp farm" thing I've EVER experienced - though I liked the "Motherload" better still.

Thanks for the information - sincerely appreciated!!

Peace.

Can you tell me why it is unfortunate that is a convolution thing? I mean what is the negative aspect of that? Remember torpedo simulates not only the cabin but the mic as well. It really sounds more real in the clips there are around. Let me also give you a link so that u can check a few user clips:
http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?section=amp&value= Engl%20SE%206L6

The guys is not that good of a player, not he is the master of his amps. Fletch please listen to these and tell me what you think.
Motherload site is on,but they say they are out of production and you have to be on a waiting list.

Also i want t strech out that i would be really interesting if you can take this digital in your face jitterish sound, and mix it with real mics...

Sonicblister

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 11:33:30 AM »

Bubba Kron wrote on Tue, 07 December 2010 17:08

Sonicblister wrote on Tue, 07 December 2010 00:52

woops, my mistake- I totally got confused with the r-122!! I have never tried that one and am now curious as hell!!  Thanks for pointing that out!!!

...and you have to listen to that thing!!!
I will post some clips later on this month.

Fletcher

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 06:01:36 PM »

Sonicblister wrote on Wed, 08 December 2010 11:31

Can you tell me why it is unfortunate that is a convolution thing? I mean what is the negative aspect of that? Remember torpedo simulates not only the cabin but the mic as well. It really sounds more real in the clips there are around.

Uh - yeah - the "clips" are some cute marketing - BULLSHIT.

There are some things in life that can NOT be simulated by digital technology - at least at this point in 2010.  I have a real life girlfriend - there are all kinds of websites that offer digital convolution girlfriends - but I prefer the real thing.

You have some wonderful microphones - do you think that it is possible to recreate those microphone's "tone" or "texture" through a digital program?  If you do - sell the damn things and get the software!!!

Every speaker cabinet is "different" -- every microphone is "different" -- and most importantly -- every microphone "POSITION" will net different results -- in different rooms -- with different amplifiers, amp settings [do I need to go on - and provide the myriad of additional parameters that can NOT be truly recreated - in 2010 - in the digital domain?],

Look - I'm sure its a fine "writing" tool - and I'm sure there will be people who use the product for success and gain ---- BUT are you interested in "recording" the best guitar sounds possible? ...or is your interest in applying some software that will get you sorta close to something that might kinda work for what you're doing.

Maybe I'm just afraid that all I've learned in the last 30+ years is dead knowledge and that the sounds I've worked most of my life to capture can now come out of a box -- or maybe those sounds really can't come out of a box [at least not in 2010] and maybe the "emulation" won't live up to "the real experience" -- sorta like a woman you can make appear on the internet can't quite cook breakfast as well as the one I will wake up with in the morning.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Sonicblister

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 07:55:54 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Wed, 08 December 2010 17:01

Sonicblister wrote on Wed, 08 December 2010 11:31

Can you tell me why it is unfortunate that is a convolution thing? I mean what is the negative aspect of that? Remember torpedo simulates not only the cabin but the mic as well. It really sounds more real in the clips there are around.

Uh - yeah - the "clips" are some cute marketing - BULLSHIT.

There are some things in life that can NOT be simulated by digital technology - at least at this point in 2010.  I have a real life girlfriend - there are all kinds of websites that offer digital convolution girlfriends - but I prefer the real thing.

You have some wonderful microphones - do you think that it is possible to recreate those microphone's "tone" or "texture" through a digital program?  If you do - sell the damn things and get the software!!!

Every speaker cabinet is "different" -- every microphone is "different" -- and most importantly -- every microphone "POSITION" will net different results -- in different rooms -- with different amplifiers, amp settings [do I need to go on - and provide the myriad of additional parameters that can NOT be truly recreated - in 2010 - in the digital domain?],

Look - I'm sure its a fine "writing" tool - and I'm sure there will be people who use the product for success and gain ---- BUT are you interested in "recording" the best guitar sounds possible? ...or is your interest in applying some software that will get you sorta close to something that might kinda work for what you're doing.

Maybe I'm just afraid that all I've learned in the last 30+ years is dead knowledge and that the sounds I've worked most of my life to capture can now come out of a box -- or maybe those sounds really can't come out of a box [at least not in 2010] and maybe the "emulation" won't live up to "the real experience" -- sorta like a woman you can make appear on the internet can't quite cook breakfast as well as the one I will wake up with in the morning.

Peace.

I totally agree man, and i believe the same. Even thought i like to test and know about equipment, and generally thought my small experience there are things that are not really good, but can be a great asset in some concepts.
Nor i did  expect to be better or even close. I was thinking thought, that for the next year, my room is not great, it is shit, and there are bands that i already record, that even thought i want to, i cannot afford to record them with 50000euros equipment when i charge them 500-3000 euros. (unfortunately i have to do this range as well.) So this thingy or an axe fx ultra would make my life easy.
The guitars WE were talking about, is another matter. I would never put this equipment for my guitar job. i would only use it in small projects, and demos of bands. My job after all is not recording full bands, but only guitars. So i am upon 2 things with almost the same machinery, but i do not care or want to spent or risk the same both. One is the guitar job, there i want only the best, and the other are regular bands that are already happy with the sound i provide.
I probably not gonna buy that stuff, but a palmer or a motherload that are cheap and reliable for what i need atm.

I hope i make sense.

Seb Riou

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 03:57:49 AM »

With 2500

Sonicblister

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 08:08:11 AM »

Seb Riou wrote on Thu, 09 December 2010 02:57

With 2500
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up