R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Am I Crazy to Buy a Korg MR-2000S DSD Recorder???  (Read 36555 times)

bblackwood

Re: Am I Crazy to Buy a Korg MR-2000S DSD Recorder???
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2011, 02:08:48 PM »

Ross Hogarth wrote on Mon, 31 January 2011 11:40

the question of file transfer is my burning question
If it is as easy as Brad says, then I would make a dsd recorder a must have ...
Anybody have a clear answer as far as getting the files off the unit ?

It's absolutely as easy as I outlined above, I just don't know if you can simply hang a HDD on the back of the MR2000s and record directly to it (which would be even easier, I suppose). I don't think you can hang the drive off the back of the recorder, but plugging it it your computer and having the MR2000S drive show up on your desktop for file transfers is easy like pie...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

bushwick

« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2011, 02:47:12 PM »

How easy is it to get names of the songs attached to the files? Is a jog wheel or something? Or does it recognize the computer keyboard?

Thanks,
josh
Joshua Kessler
bushwick  studio
brooklyn, ny
www.bushwickstudio.com

compasspnt

« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2011, 03:00:12 PM »

Hi Josh and Ross,

You must record on the internal hard drive.  The 1000 has a 40g, I think the 2000 has maybe an 80g.

But as pointed out by Brad and others, it is quite easy to shut it down, attach via usb to any computer, and boot back up in usb mode to transfer the entire files.

Naming the songs is a tiny chore, you use the scroll wheel with an insert button. You have to abbreviate a bit, but no real problems.

If you attend mastering, take your own machine.  If not, send the files and they will have or get one to play them.

Although KORG has now actually thanked me for being such a vociferous proponent of their machine, it should be known that I paid full price for my unit from Sweetwater.

I just love this format that much.

OOF!

« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2011, 04:38:04 PM »

Terry, they should send you a free T-shirt.  I got the 2000 and my buddy got the 1000, based on your description.  thanks!  
On the 2000, which may be different than the 1000, I do not have to power-down to go into usb mode.  I just attach the cable, which comes off my AlphaTrack, and enter usb mode via the menu.  to unmount, drag drive to trash, exit usb mode in menu and disconnect cable.  So far so good.
David

Fenris Wulf

« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2011, 04:53:25 PM »

DSD pushes all the noise into the ultrasonic range. Does this cause problems in downstream analog circuitry when it's mastered? Does it necessitate the use of a low-pass filter that effectively limits the bandwidth to 25 kHz?
RESIST THE CYBERNETIC OVERLORDS
KDVS Studio A

PaulyD

« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2011, 03:45:00 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Mon, 31 January 2011 12:00

If you attend mastering, take your own machine.  If not, send the files and they will have or get one to play them.

Korg has released AudioGate as freeware - a very wise business decision imho.

Oddly though, your computer must be connected to the internet while using it and you must have a Twitter account. The software Tweets your exports and conversions. Kind of funny, but whatever...

Paul

Tim Halligan

« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2011, 08:04:20 AM »

PaulyD wrote on Tue, 01 February 2011 16:45

Oddly though, your computer must be connected to the internet while using it and you must have a Twitter account. The software Tweets your exports and conversions. Kind of funny, but whatever...

Not funny at all.

Doesn't that behaviour qualify it as a virus?

Cheers,
Tim
"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2011, 08:34:06 AM »

Tim Halligan wrote on Tue, 01 February 2011 13:04

PaulyD wrote on Tue, 01 February 2011 16:45

Not funny at all.

Doesn't that behaviour qualify it as a virus?

Cheers,
Tim

No, since it doesn't spread itself.

If it's not harming your system or data in some way, then it's not malware either.

If you don't know it's doing this stuff, it could qualify as spyware.

Personally I think it just sounds rather silly. There may be some practical use for it (can you use twitter as a private service for info transfer and recording just in your studio?), but there's no way it should be a requirement and not switchable.

joeyhavoc

« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2011, 10:48:34 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Tue, 07 December 2010 13:29

The KORG is like mixing to the best-aligned perfect 1/2" or 1" 2 track you can imagine.

No A/D-D/A conversion comes close.

Well, I was poking around for a 1/2" 2-track machine, but based on this recommendation I have to reconsider.

bushwick

« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2011, 02:49:45 PM »

Surely what Terry meant regarding a perfectly aligned machine had more to do with listening back to prints and there not being that blue feeling that somehow its  just not as good as what hit the mix bus during the mix. That is my best guess about what Terry is saying here. I cannot imagine that the unit sounds like a 2 track. There is a sound to any tape machine that is adding something pleasant to the music usually, and that clearly would be absent from any digital machine not adding in some emulation. Without hearing the the result, I think the Korg might be the perfect solution for "most" cases. Terry, hate to ask but would you mind chiming in about it?

joeyhavoc wrote on Tue, 01 February 2011 10:48

compasspnt wrote on Tue, 07 December 2010 13:29

The KORG is like mixing to the best-aligned perfect 1/2" or 1" 2 track you can imagine.

No A/D-D/A conversion comes close.

Well, I was poking around for a 1/2" 2-track machine, but based on this recommendation I have to reconsider.

Joshua Kessler
bushwick  studio
brooklyn, ny
www.bushwickstudio.com

OOF!

« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2011, 03:10:34 PM »

Bushwick, in my experience your interpretation is correct.  If i mix straight into the Korg, the music sounds pretty much the same way it did coming off the console (not so with my converters).  If I add the 1/2" to the signal chain- usually on my 2-buss insert- it sounds like i added tape, which for me, is always a beautiful thing.
If I were putting a setup together i'd buy the Korg first, then add a tape machine as gravy.  Together they are a winning combo.
David

ajcamlet

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2011, 03:24:32 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Mon, 31 January 2011 10:48

bushwick wrote on Mon, 31 January 2011 08:27

I did a lil glance through the earlier posts and have a question. Do you attach external hard drives to this thing to send files to mastering? I see that the unit is USB compatible. Just not sure how one gets the audio out to mastering. Very interested in the unit.

I'm honestly unsure whether it will recognize an external drive - I don't think it does. I believe you connect the machine and copy the files to the computer, from there you can upload them (as most clients do here) or ship physical HDD's (or DVD(s)).

This is exactly how it works. It pops up as an external drive on the desktop

ajcamlet

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2011, 03:28:11 PM »

PaulyD wrote on Tue, 01 February 2011 03:45

compasspnt wrote on Mon, 31 January 2011 12:00

Korg has released AudioGate as freeware - a very wise business decision imho.

Paul

Wha???  Mine does not do that.  I love this software- it the absolute easiest way to convert any type of audio file to any format you want.

Steve Hudson

« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2011, 06:45:30 PM »

Slightly off topic, the headphone amp of my MR-1000 has all of a sudden started to emit a modulating, RF-interference type noise in the right channel even when there is no playback or the headphone volume is turned all the way down. There's no problem with the outputs on the back of the unit. I found an authorized service center in San Antonio but was curious if any other MR-1000 users have run into this problem.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

rphilbeck

« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2011, 12:14:24 AM »

Wow! I wonder if this would be a great way to archive vinyl, and actually enjoy the listening experience upon playback.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 18 queries.