R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: High/low pass  (Read 17106 times)

Patrik T

High/low pass
« on: December 03, 2010, 05:51:05 PM »

Currently my high pass option sits in a design that it shares with bells and shelves but I would like something standalone doing only the high and/or low cut. As simple as possible.

Any suggestions for a good analog design which only does this?

Could a good old pair of the Pultec HLF-3C be a good idea? Or a DIY project? Anything else? All ideas are appreciated.

Best Regards
Patrik

Christopher Wilson

Re: High/low pass
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 12:59:29 AM »

I've heard nothing but good reviews about the Shiny Box brand Guillotine.

http://www.shinybox.com/product_info.php?products_id=93

And it does precisely what you asked for.
Christopher Wilson

Andrew Hamilton

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 01:22:10 AM »

Not sure if you're talking about the Massive, but I, too, want many selectable High Pass corners in analog and, since I'm not rockin a Mastering version Massive, I tend not to use the one position that is even feasible (22).   I'd much rather have a separate unit which only does two channels of High Pass selection.   I'm probably going to roll my own.  

- on eBay, now... -  (not mine)

It's only a Low Pass, but can it be wired in reverse to make it a High Pass?   It uses a Langevin switch and a Dukane trafo for each channel.   I know that a cap in series with resistance across the leads will make a High Pass, but what about a trafo?   Its significant impedance is determined by what it's hooked up to, yes?  Since the trafo only provides/shares impedance(?) and not capacitance, does that mean that the Langevin switches are packed with caps, instead of resistors?  

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-Vintage-Langevin-Low-Pass-Filters-R acked-DuKane-/200549716642?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=it em2eb1b1d2a2

Cheers,
    Andrew
www.serifsound.com
premastering for CD and DVD-A.  Featuring FTP load in and delivery as well as analog tape transfers.

dietrich

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 08:46:47 AM »

BAX

Andrew Hamilton

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 02:30:04 AM »

The BAX is a neat idea, for the shelves  (but I'm not in need of shelves) and does have several corners for High Passing.   However, what I'm looking for are several corners that are between 10 and 20 Hz.   I'm thinking about something like, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, and maybe the double-deuce (22) found on the stando massivo.  The BAX has too many corners above 20 Hz for my needs.   (And I'm only doing full-speed mastering.)

Tsch
www.serifsound.com
premastering for CD and DVD-A.  Featuring FTP load in and delivery as well as analog tape transfers.

Patrik T

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 02:57:05 AM »

Andrew Hamilton wrote on Sun, 05 December 2010 08:30

I'm thinking about something like, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, and maybe the double-deuce (22) found on the stando massivo.

Ah, I'm more into what the HLF can provide. Just a few choices between null and 100 to marry my bell/shelve EQ which has 11 steps per band for frequencies.

I can see the need for many frequency choices but I really prefer less.

Best Regards
Patrik

TotalSonic

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 03:40:46 AM »

Neumann HT75 would be a good sounding unit with limited number of frequency choices if you could find one.  

Best regards,
Steve Berson

dietrich

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 09:53:01 AM »

I do have a neumann ht66 not hooked up yet but only has 8,11.2,15. other end 80,63,40

drop me a line if any interest in it. i have the schematics.

Gold

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 10:10:46 AM »

dietrich wrote on Sun, 05 December 2010 09:53

I do have a neumann ht66 not hooked up yet but only has 8,11.2,15. other end 80,63,40

drop me a line if any interest in it. i have the schematics.

It's passive and will need to be buffered but it is an excellent sounding filter.

Those PV46's you sold me would be perfect for the task:)
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

Patrik T

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 12:09:09 PM »

Thank you everyone so far!

compasspnt

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 12:37:36 PM »

What would everyone like to see as freqs for a hi pass filter, and perhaps why not for a low pass as well?

Of course Andrew has mentioned "10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, and maybe the double-deuce (22)."

Anyone else?

Would you prefer a stand-alone unit?

Hi pass only, or hi and low integrated?

Or would you prefer a complete multiband EQ with the "extended" hi and/or lo pass included?

Transformer in/out or elec-bal?

Tube or x-istor?

Anything else?

Patrik T

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 01:36:09 PM »

Currently I have 50, 80, 160 and 300 to HP at. I have only used 80 one time. Still I am not completely sure if I would need many choices below 50. At this stage it is usually either the 50 or not the 50.

Like a switch saying "go" or "no-go". Mostly no-go...

Maybe 20-30-50-80 could be a good spread for me?

I find HP filtering to be a tricky task at the mastering stage. Especially with productions where great care has been taken between to use or not to use HP filtering at individual tracks at the recording and mixing stage. Surely one can switch in the HP and instantly say "good for the total" but often I have to activate the tiniest of sensors to be confident with it.

Regards
Patrik

compasspnt

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 03:47:30 PM »

Wow, I can't remember a time in years where I used a(n) HPF as high as 50!

Patrik T

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 05:07:12 PM »

Maybe that's why I'm not using it much. Like one time out of 30.

But is there really a need for many low frequency choices? Like five between 10-20 Hz? Isn't it possible to "take care of" the problems that might be solved with a HP filter with just a few frequency choices?

I mean - if the HP filter does not do the supposed trick (whatever that actually might be) for the full mix, then maybe it is time for a shelve or a bell?

Best Regards
Patrik

dietrich

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 07:21:16 PM »

Gold wrote on Sun, 05 December 2010 10:10

dietrich wrote on Sun, 05 December 2010 09:53

s.

It's passive and will need to be buffered but it is an excellent sounding filter.

Those PV46's you sold me would be perfect for the task:)

I do regret gutting the sp console a bit now after the guy who wanted it empty went mia. i look at the skeleton everyday...its not easy to find out of the way corner to hide.

Has anyone used the Filtek BP1 filters? I have a pair coming to me at some point in the next few months. here is pic(though not the exact ones)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.