R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Studer 800 Plug-In  (Read 92575 times)

J.J. Blair

Re: Studer 800 Plug-In
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2010, 05:57:10 PM »

Former Oceanway drone wrote on Thu, 02 December 2010 14:53

Yuck.

Look. Studer's were, in my experience, very reliable machines. Sonically, they were okay. Multitrack machines were, and are still I assume, a pain in the ass. Studer's were relatively reliable and that made them very popular. But I thought they sounded okay, at best. An MCI, hardly a favorite(even on a good day), could and often did record nicer sounding tracks than a Studer on its best day. An Ampex, skillfully aligned, and with a quality batch of whatever was good that week, could sound great. But a Studer, no. Not in my, relatively limited experience.

All that said, what a stupid f*cking concept. I suppose ignorance and gullibility play a big role in selling such bongwater.

Cheers,

Alan Tomlinson

P.S. I don't miss tape ever. Anyone who does, wasn't there.

I prefer the sound of my 3M M56 to all machines.  I prefer the sound of my 827 to ProTools.  I miss many aspects of the sound of tape, but I make great sounding music without it.  I don't miss having a machine (the 3M) that only one person in town can fix, and he's the biggest flake in the world.  (BTW, if anybody in LA can fix these machines, please PM me!!!)

I miss the ingenuity it took to create some of the edits and effects we had to on tape.  I don't miss the difficulty.  But I took pride in some of the things I came up with.  I miss that not just anybody could do some of the things that now, thanks to DAWs, anybody can do.  

When I work on tape after being digital for a while, I hear something that immediately makes me miss tape.  It's undeniable.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

stevieeastend

« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2010, 06:04:21 PM »

Former Oceanway drone wrote on Thu, 02 December 2010 23:53

Yuck.

Look. Studer's were, in my experience, very reliable machines. Sonically, they were okay. Multitrack machines were, and are still I assume, a pain in the ass. Studer's were relatively reliable and that made them very popular. But I thought they sounded okay, at best. An MCI, hardly a favorite(even on a good day), could and often did record nicer sounding tracks than a Studer on its best day. An Ampex, skillfully aligned, and with a quality batch of whatever was good that week, could sound great. But a Studer, no. Not in my, relatively limited experience.

All that said, what a stupid f*cking concept. I suppose ignorance and gullibility play a big role in selling such bongwater.

Cheers,

Alan Tomlinson

P.S. I don't miss tape ever. Anyone who does, wasn't there.

I worked with tape for about 10 years and I miss it. There are downsides to every way of working but to me the whole process of producing was just totally different because of NOT having computers around. And I loved it.

Bryson

« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2010, 08:08:46 PM »

DSills wrote on Sat, 04 December 2010 11:43

Around the same time (NAMM 09?) they first announced the partner deal with Studer, they also announced one with Ampex - for emulations of machines and tape. Yet, with the Studer A800 plug, they don't refer to the 456 formulation setting as Ampex

http://www.ampex.com/press-release/165-universal-audio.html

wwittman

« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2010, 08:23:46 PM »

I not only miss tape when I don't use it, but also still often use it.

But then I may be unusual. I care about the sound
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2010, 08:31:52 PM »

Podgorny wrote on Fri, 03 December 2010 20:51

Gio wrote on Fri, 03 December 2010 22:40

Food done in a microwave will never rival in taste or consistency, the dish it's trying to mimic.  

This is gross oversimplification. And wrong.

I wish people would stop trying to make analogies relating audio to food or cars.

On that tangent.

I walk into a Radio Shack to buy a battery for some device. I forget what it all was.

The young dude behind the counter walks out and sees my car, and immediately has to say that he has some "brand X" car all souped up that has 300 more horsepower than my car, and it cost $$$ less than my car. He said it all proud n stuff.

To which I looked at him and said "What's horsepower?"

The look on his face was priceless.

Cheers
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

kats

« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2010, 08:49:49 PM »

zmix wrote on Sat, 04 December 2010 11:52

arconaut wrote on Wed, 01 December 2010 20:13

Somebody's going to post this, might as well be me:     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gszni4TOATo&feature=playe r_embedded
Hey Chuck!

Hey.. !  

A team from Universal Audio came by my mix room that day and asked me a variety of questions. Funny what they chose to use...   I specifically recall stating that the best thing about the A800 was the precise mechanical alignment of the  transport  and the powerful reel motors...  I wonder if they modeled those?  We'll find out if it pops a motor driver transistor and spools tape all over the inside of somebody's computer!!

Hey Chuck, did you tell them is sounds pretty close to an A800 for a plug in?
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

stevieeastend

« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2010, 06:18:46 AM »

The sound of tape is so totally different to me, that it doesn´t even make sense to pointing out the differences. To me it still sounds WAY better and I use it really every time I can when producing a band.

arconaut

« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2010, 09:01:57 AM »

Knowing that no generalization is true, do you think there is a bit of a dividing line between those who used analog equipment and those who only ever used DAWs? I have no issue with the concept of this plug-in, once I dispense with the notion that "it is a Studer A800." But for somebody who never used a Studer, obviously this is the key marketing angle.
You Are Number Six

stevieeastend

« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2010, 11:43:28 AM »

arconaut wrote on Sun, 05 December 2010 15:01

Knowing that no generalization is true, do you think there is a bit of a dividing line between those who used analog equipment and those who only ever used DAWs? I have no issue with the concept of this plug-in, once I dispense with the notion that "it is a Studer A800." But for somebody who never used a Studer, obviously this is the key marketing angle.

I don´t know if you referring to me but I do think that people having worked with tape and analog equipment for years have a different "concept" of sound which they are aiming to, which doesn´t necessarily refers to sounding "better" to the majority of the listeners today.

I also think that when working with analog the sound doesn´t become so obvious, people would rather responding to the band being "punchy" for example...

zmix

« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2010, 04:20:02 PM »

kats wrote on Sat, 04 December 2010 20:49

zmix wrote on Sat, 04 December 2010 11:52

arconaut wrote on Wed, 01 December 2010 20:13

Somebody's going to post this, might as well be me:      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gszni4TOATo&feature=playe r_embedded
Hey Chuck!

Hey.. !  

A team from Universal Audio came by my mix room that day and asked me a variety of questions. Funny what they chose to use...   I specifically recall stating that the best thing about the A800 was the precise mechanical alignment of the  transport  and the powerful reel motors...  I wonder if they modeled those?  We'll find out if it pops a motor driver transistor and spools tape all over the inside of somebody's computer!!

Hey Chuck, did you tell them is sounds pretty close to an A800 for a plug in?

You may have noticed that the video was released on the very same day as the plugin.   Only during the interview (a month earlier),  did they tell me they were modeling the A800 and then proceeded to ask me questions about the Studer A800.

I don't use plugins much, you'll see some of my outboard in the video and understand why....   Twisted Evil

arconaut

« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2010, 04:53:30 PM »

I wasn't referring to anybody specific with my pondering post. A few years back, I was mastering a project I mixed in the box and the mastering engineer asked what console I used. He was surprised when I said it was ITB, but then said, "well, it's because you know what things are supposed to sound like."

Chuck - seems so sneaky that you are in that video in that context, it reads like an endorsement to me. I don't mean to meddle, though.
You Are Number Six

zmix

« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2010, 06:13:36 PM »

arconaut wrote on Sun, 05 December 2010 09:01

Knowing that no generalization is true, do you think there is a bit of a dividing line between those who used analog equipment and those who only ever used DAWs?

I am prepping for an interview tomorrow and have been kindly provided the questions, several of which deal with this very subject.  

I would certainly say that procedurally there is a great division between those two groups.  DAWs have evolved to accommodate different working methodologies, initially they just replicated existing production tools and techniques (as in the case of simple 2-track editing and the original Digidesign "Sound Tools" software), but now provide tools not available by any other means. Since production and engineering are largely centered around problem solving, this difference in available tools can lead to totally different solutions and thus a very different result.  For example, in the quest to create  a solid rhythm track  a "DAW-centric" producer may rely on beat detective or heavy editing, and an "Analog" producer may simply hire a better drummer.

wwittman

« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2010, 08:33:42 PM »

I know I tend to get sounds and record them; rather than try to 'make the sound' later

That makes things like saturation something I either like as an intrinsic part of the process or not interesting to me.
It's not something I'm interested in dicking about with as a 'colour'.

I tend to think of things like these, any of them, Heat, VCC, this UAD 800, as either on everything or not at all.

Whether this is generational, or 'because of' my analogue background I don't know.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

thechrisl

« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2010, 02:59:23 PM »

Guess I'm trying to understand the beef with this.  Is it the exaggerated marketing?  The cheesy animation?  There are a lot of products out there (software and hardware) designed to provide some characteristics of tape (like that knob on the HEDD that says "Tape").  Many are highly regarded here on this forum.  Is it the fact that naive customers are going to be tricked into thinking they are getting a Studer for $349?  There are plenty of other UAD plugins (it's not just UAD of course) targeting the sound, vibe and peculiarities of a specific piece of hardware (some discontinued and some still in production).  

Maybe it's just the idea that this is mimicking a specific product originally intended as a storage medium?  It's not a compressor, it's not an EQ, etc.  Maybe that's what seems silly to people so familiar with tape recording devices.  Maybe next we'll see a Helios console or an EMI REDD plugin?  Doesn't sound that far fetched.

Just some thoughts, not trying to call anyone out (and I don't work for any of these guys).  I haven't tried this yet but if it does good things to the sound that I can't get elsewhere in the digital domain, why not?  Truth is I'll probably never know how close this really compares to an A800 but at least I know that going in.  The same was true of the UAD Fairchild and the Trident A-Range.  Still, I think they're pretty good tools for the money.

maxim

« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2010, 03:41:57 PM »

giovanni wrote:

"Food done in a microwave will never rival in taste or consistency, the dish it's trying to mimic."

ever tried melting chocolate in a microwave?

works MUCH better than analogue....
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 19 queries.